Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The Ultimate Kobo Tips & Tricks Thread

For all the Kobo newbies, here is a mega-thread with all the tips and tricks so far. If anyone learns any new tips and tricks, please post them here.

1) USING THE KOBO WITH THE KOBO SOFTWARE

Create an account at the Kobo website, or log into your existing Kobo account. Click on your library. Unless you have done some fiddling already, all the books you have bought will appear in your 'I'm Reading' list. This is what will sync to the Kobo.

If you have some books you have read already and/or don't want to syn to the Kobo, click the checkmark beside them, then click the delete button at the top of the list. The books will still be in your purchased books area but will no longer be on your I'm Reading list.

Plug in the reader. Open the desktop software folder and install the software for your type of computer (Windows or Mac). Launch the software, log into your Kobo account. Click the sync button. The books will sync onto the Kobo Reader.

Books loaded onto the reader in this way will not appear as files if you double-click on the device icon in the desktop. If you want them to appear on the device and be editable, you will have to load them through other means such as Adobe Digital Editions or via drag and drop.

2) USING THE DEVICE WITH ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS

Log onto your Kobo account on the website. Go to your library. Click on the 'download epub' icon and when prompted, save the file to your desktop.

Go to your desktop and right-click on the .acsm file. Choose 'open with Adobe Digital Editions' and open the file. While you are in ADE, authorize the Kobo reader to your account.

You should then be able to drag and drop books from your list in ADE onto the reader icon.

Note: If you are downloading library books, it is the same procedure. Sve the .acsm file and open it using ADE.

3) USING THE DEVICE WITH CALIBRE

Make sure the Kobo Reader is plugged in. Have Calibre open and make sure you can see the 'Kobo Reader' icon on your desktop.

Select a book from your list. If it is not in epub, convert it using the 'convert' button.

Right-click on the file name. Choose 'open containing folder.' Drag the epub file onto the Kobo Reader icon on the desktop.

4) FIXING AN EPUB WHICH WILL NOT LET YOU CHANGE THE FONT

MAC users: Download a program called ePub Zip
PC Users: Download a program called Free Zip

Click on the epub file. Click on the file name---it should become highlighted so you can edit it.

Change the part that says .epub to .zip.

Double-click on the new zip file. It will make a folder.

Open the folder. Find the file that says stlyesheet.css and delete it. (IT may be inside another folder like the OEBPS one.

MAC Users: Drop the folder onto ePub Zip and you're done.

PC Users: Use Free ZIp to make a zip file. Highlight the file name and change the .zip to .epub and you're done

Drag the new epub file onto the Kobo Reader icon.

Note: Files edited this way will allow font adjustment, but may lose other formatting such as full justification

5) DELETING THE PRE-INSTALLED BOOKS

Srid outlined the procedure here.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Nice compilation!
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
mfpreach
Enthusiast
mfpreach began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Anyone know how to add a cover to a book we add (ie. One converted from Calibre?)
mfpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Go to Google Images, search for the book cover.
Right-click on it, choose save image as
Save to the desktop
Click on the book in Calibre
Open the 'edit meta information' area by clicking on the button
Go to the bottom right corner where it says 'change cover image'
Click on the left button underneath it (the one beside the garbage can)
Browse to where you saved the image
When you click okay and exit the meta information editor, you will have a cover
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What about removing books from the 'I'm reading" section on the Kobo without deleting them?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
What about removing books from the 'I'm reading" section on the Kobo without deleting them?
You can only remove items from the I'm Reading list by signing into the Kobo Desktop Application (or Kobo Blackberry application) and removing the book from the I'm Reading list there. Then you have to sync the device to propagate the update to the Kobo Reader.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
Margok
Margok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I don't have a I'm reading list in my desktop app. -__-
Margok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
You can only remove items from the I'm Reading list by signing into the Kobo Desktop Application (or Kobo Blackberry application) and removing the book from the I'm Reading list there. Then you have to sync the device to propagate the update to the Kobo Reader.
I have the list but none of the pre-loaded books show up on it in the app, just on the reader.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Same here.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
I have only been able to do this by going to the WEB application, not the desktop application.
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Great information in this discussion!

Is it possible to make this a sticky? I am sure other 1st time owners such as myself would appreciate it if it was easy to find.

Just a thought,

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
7zip easier to use for deleting stylesheet

I'm using 7zip as and archive manager. When it comes to deleting that pesky .css file, 7zip just opens the *.epub file as an archive and then you just close it. No renaming or anything needed. 7zip is open-source:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Last edited by corona; 05-05-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added 7zip URL
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Same with winrar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I'm using 7zip as and archive manager. When it comes to deleting that pesky .css file, 7zip just opens the *.epub file as an archive and then you just close it. No renaming or anything needed. 7zip is open-source:

http://www.7-zip.org/
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantaipan View Post
Same with winrar.
well winrar is not open source, but it can be used for epub files.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
canreader
canreader began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I tried skipping to the end of the book and "finishing" it, and the book went back into my library and out of the I'm Reading section.
canreader is offline   Reply With Quote