Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #61
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
er,

so you've not heard of this thing called paper, yet

people make books out of it, supposedly, and you read them totally OFFLINE.

also there's a thriving market for used ones , sold for cash at charity shops / car boot sales....

just use a false name
I can't read paper books on a regular basis, due to my eyesight. Digital books gave me back my favorite hobby.

I found your reply more than a little insulting and condescending.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #62
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Although it is difficult and maybe impossible to have no digital footprint, it can still be desirable not to needlessly or recklessly enlarge it. Certainly many companies, governments, and other entities have been some combination of malicious in the gathering and combining of personal information and negligent, incompetent, and reckless in safeguarding it.

Everyone needs to decide for themselves how they will cope, but they should try to be informed and to think about it at least some.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #63
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I can't read paper books on a regular basis, due to my eyesight. Digital books gave me back my favorite hobby.

Suggesting a magnifying glass will not be well received then ?

It was meant to be humourous, as some of the paranoia expressed in this thread is rather silly, IMHO.

But there are such things as large print books, and audiobooks on casttees, CDs still. Last time I looked, my library had shelves and shelves full...

So I found your "deprived of " all reading reply to be a little.... Well let's say " overstated", and not trade pointless insults. After all , the Deep State may be on to us...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #64
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
just use a false name
What for? I've never had a cashier ask me for my name so the only record they might have if paying cash is CCTV.

What you need is a different face.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

If you had given the information about your eyesight in your original message, perhaps you would not have received the reply that you consider insulting.

In my personal experience, one of my uncles spent many hours at the local library reading paper books and newspapers with the help of their magnifying viewer. He is much happier now with his Kobo ereader but, for him, the desire to read outweighed the nuisance of having to do so at the library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #66
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
What for? I've never had a cashier ask me for my name so the only record they might have if paying cash is CCTV.

Deep state agent to car boot seller: who did you sell that highly subversive book to?
seller: Dunno mate, he said his name was Bond, James Bond. Can I interest you in a rare copy of Fahrenheit 451, slightly singed...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Although it is difficult and maybe impossible to have no digital footprint, it can still be desirable not to needlessly or recklessly enlarge it. Certainly many companies, governments, and other entities have been some combination of malicious in the gathering and combining of personal information and negligent, incompetent, and reckless in safeguarding it.
While I tend to agree with you, I also keep in mind Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Is there anyone who has worked in IT who has not heard "I never thought ..." as part of the reason for Bad Things happening? For me, one of the first times I remember was "I never thought that using magnets to hold the floppy disks on the file cabinet would hurt them".
Old 01-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:

In this area, quite a few stores now ask for my email address even if I am paying cash.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #69
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In this area, quite a few stores now ask for my email address even if I am paying cash.

Around here some do that too, I ignore the question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #70
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
If you had given the information about your eyesight in your original message, perhaps you would not have received the reply that you consider insulting.
I found the statement insulting too. When someone mentions that they cannot read paper books regularly, and digital methods make reading easier, is it really that difficult to read between the lines and understand what they are saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped
Suggesting a magnifying glass will not be well received then ?
I imagine this was an attempt at humor. But it flopped (and it should have been obvious that it would), so it came off more insulting and condescending than humorous. Insulting was the result of the post, but it probably was not the intent. However, when someone mentions that they were insulted by the original post, and the comeback post is another insult, that does tend to bring the question of intent into the equation.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #71
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
While I tend to agree with you, I also keep in mind Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
That is one of my favorite sayings. I never knew it was termed "Hanlon's razor". I'll have to remember that!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #72
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Deep state agent to car boot seller: who did you sell that highly subversive book to?
seller: Dunno mate, he said his name was Bond, James Bond. Can I interest you in a rare copy of Fahrenheit 451, slightly singed...
Wonderful. Maybe that's the guy I got a damaged 1984 from (written in 1948 and really, like Animal Farm, about then. Brave New world, well I have that too, alongside Future Shock, the 2 part 1999 by Wilfred Greatorex, Program for a Puppet and Shockwave Rider. Sad that Big Tech thinks these are blueprints, not warnings)

Actually a lot of companies were pointlessly collecting data because they had been sold the mantra it (Big Data) was a good idea.
Was just talking this pm to someone in GM and he says that obviously there will be no change at Facebook, Google etc, but GM and other people they know are stepping back from collecting data because of GDPR and the new Californian law. They can't be sure that they can do it securely. The risk of it going wrong and big fines is now too high and it doesn't make them any money anyway.
This is good.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #73
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
What for? I've never had a cashier ask me for my name so the only record they might have if paying cash is CCTV...
And your fingerprints, DNA maybe too. So I keep my fingers sandpapered, and wear a hazmat suit and balaclava whenever making cash purchases.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:08 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No matter what you do in life, there you are going to have information about you that's available online. There is nothing you can do to prevent that. If anyone can prove otherwise, feel free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #75
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Can you provide a link that discusses how to do this?
Sorry for the delay. I don't think I could link here to Aprentice Alf page (even when the topic isn't related to DRM itself). It is mentioned there as a warning, in the form of please log with your adobe id because...

Anyways, what you need to do is simply install ADE 2.0.1 and authorize this computer without an Adobe ID. Then ADE will remind you if you go to help>authorize

Here's a screenshot: it looks funny because I run ADE in wine. Also, it is spanish but says the same I warned in my previous post.

Because I never had an adobe id I cannot tell you what happens if you log first and then logout. Also I don't use windows so I don't know if the program leaves traces on the registry or if the plugin detects the new .der file once it is created.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaa.png
Views:	171
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	176544  
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap ereader, help for a newbie, open source, privacy.