Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
foxQ
foxQ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Ereaders with good dictionaries?

Hi guys, I’m looking for a new ereader and wondering which have the best dictionaries?

I come from a Sony PRS-350 that has Oxford’s English, which has very good word entries, complete with word etymology etc., something I’ve really come to appreciate.

Alternatively, are there ereaders which allow sideloading of dictionaries?

I’d love to hear your suggestions – thanks!
foxQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Kindles have the Oxford English dictionary too. With the touchscreen you just touch the word you want info about and the dictionary pops up.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxQ View Post
I come from a Sony PRS-350 that has Oxford’s English, which has very good word entries, complete with word etymology etc., something I’ve really come to appreciate.

Alternatively, are there ereaders which allow sideloading of dictionaries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Kindles have the Oxford English dictionary too. With the touchscreen you just touch the word you want info about and the dictionary pops up.
As BookCat mentions, the Kindle comes with the same dictionaries the Sonys had (have). The Tolinos use the quickdic dictionary format but I haven't found anything there that comes close to the Oxford Dictionary that the Sonys and Kindles use.

Here's a website with dictionary downloads for the Tolino (I think they work on Pocketbooks also, but I'm not sure.)

https://github.com/rdoeffinger/Dicti...2-dictionaries
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
foxQ
foxQ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Hi guys and thanks for your replies and the dictionary resource.

I wasn’t aware Kindle uses Oxford’s, which is wonderful. I would, however, probably not consider buying one due to Amazon’s closed ecosystem.

It appears stock dictionaries is the option for now. It was worth a shot. Thanks again!
foxQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxQ View Post
I wasn’t aware Kindle uses Oxford’s, which is wonderful. I would, however, probably not consider buying one due to Amazon’s closed ecosystem.
A lot of people buy books from Amazon and convert them for ePub devices, but there's no reason you couldn't go the other way — buy books from somewhere else and convert them for use on a Kindle. It just requires Calibre and Apprentice Alf (and Adobe ADE).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
If looking for a upgrade dictionary for a ebook reader then Amazon lists a couple of unabridged dictionaries for sale that work with Kindles. Not free downloads though.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote