Notices

Old 08-06-2018, 06:12 AM   #1
font332
Connoisseur
font332 began at the beginning.

Device: kpw2
Win 8 Mobile net wi-fi sharing for Kindle PW2, Kindle can't connect

Hello Dear members

I have a tablet with Windows 8.1 32-bit with LTE modem build-in.
In Windows 8 there is a option to share this connection as a wi-fi hot-spot.
I can edit hot-spot name and password(not type).
Although my Kindle Paperwhite sees this hot-spot it can not connect to it saying:
Wi-Fi Error
You Kindle is unable to connect to...

It's not the first time I had troubles of connecting to some wi-fi on kindle, so I am just curious if there is any know reason?
Thanks
font332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Not that it helps you, but with my previous smartphone I was able to set up a hotspot and connect to it with Kindle. I think also with my laptop when it is connected via Ethernet.

Do you have another WiFi device which you can try? If that does not work either, then it probably has to do with something on the Windows side (security/permissions etc.).

It won’t connect if your Windows device does not have an active Internet connection. The Kindle has to be able to get to amazon.com. A peer-to-peer WiFi connection is not sufficient.

Finally instead of tapping on the SSID name directly, you might try OTHER.. and then Advanced. This will show some other configuration options. It will be helpful to know what security protocol that the Windows 8 device supports for the hotspot (WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc.).

https://www.howtogeek.com/167783/htg...hy-it-matters/

Last edited by tomsem; 08-07-2018 at 01:18 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
font332
Connoisseur
font332 began at the beginning.

Device: kpw2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Do you have another WiFi device which you can try?
Finally instead of tapping on the SSID name directly, you might try OTHER
Thanks for the reply.
Of course it works with other devices. I am not sure but it was probably even working with this device before when I was using 3rd party software for sharing the connection.
I was of course also trying different password setting in kindle.
font332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, I got nothing then. Windows 8 is pretty old and Kindles are pickier than most WiFi devices about what they will connect to IME.

Not sure if this applies to your tablet but if so:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/wifi-hotspot-windows-8/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, paperwhite, pw2, wi-fi, windows