Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #31
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
yifanlu
Do not know anything about recovery access myself.

is [Full URL name needed - MODERATOR] article any good?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-16-2011 at 08:31 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #32
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
I have a kindle DX us,but can't find a k3 nearby.So .....
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #33
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Ok, so some good news:
1) All Kindle versions (US/Init/DX/DXi/DXG) uses the same kernel. That means I do not have to recompile the recovery kernel and risk bricking on other devices. The kernel I test on the K2 should also work the same on other kindles.
2) It SEEMS from the DXG one of you provided that the DXG has the same FS as the Kindle 2 US (with the exception of one library that handle International modem).

This means that I can, more quickly, make the DX versions and that minimal testing would be required on the DX (after K2US works).

Here's what I still need:
-rootfs image from Kindle DX US
-rootfs image from Kindle DX Internation
-rootfs image from Kindle 2 International
(or a broken kindle you can send me if you can't extract the image)
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #34
modusop
modusop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Totally excited about this.
modusop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #35
azuwis
azuwis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
2) It SEEMS from the DXG one of you provided that the DXG has the same FS as the Kindle 2 US (with the exception of one library that handle International modem).
Cool. Does this mean 3.x custom firmware on Kindle DXG will have 3G?
azuwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #36
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuwis View Post
Cool. Does this mean 3.x custom firmware on Kindle DXG will have 3G?
Yes, you can. However, that's one of the main things I want to test. The OS in all the Kindles 2.X are the same, except for the 3G drivers. It seems like all the Kindle uses different 3G cards. So it MAY not work at first release, but eventually it will.

Also, I've posted some packages in the first post to aid you in obtaining your rootfs image.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #37
meepus
meepus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I have a kindle DX (the original, before international) and would greatly appreciate the results of this project. I have a college freshman level education in computer science, and I am very comfortable messing around with technology but have little to no coding experience. I am willing to do whatever to assist you with this, and if it will speed things along, I will extract the rootFS image for you. Let me know.

Edit: I have also brought the kindle subreddit's attention to this thread -- http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comme...n_the_updated/
meepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:43 AM   #38
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
This is my Kindle 2 Int (B003) rootfs.img with firmware 2.5.8, I split my rootfs into 3 zip files.

Full URL name needed - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-16-2011 at 08:30 AM.
tekkasit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #39
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
I see

I will PM the address
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011年_04月_16日_15时_38分_12秒.png
Views:	687
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	69988  

Last edited by troyme; 04-16-2011 at 11:49 AM.
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #40
luyt
luyt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I also upload my Kindle DX US version 2.5.8 image.
I upload it in u.115.com like troyme used above, cause i found this is the fastest site i can upload.

http://u.115.com/file/f0176d7130#
KINDLE_DX_rootfs.zip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uu-download.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	69989  
luyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #41
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
Tried to get my rootfs image,

However, update_make-image-k2i.bin Update fails within seconds (U007), any idea?
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #42
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Great job, yifanlu! I'd like to help by creating the rootfs image of my Kindle DX Graphite International edition (B009), so I've 'updated' with update_make-image-dxg.bin. This does start, but after half a minute or so it tells me the update was unsuccessful, and restarts the DX. I'm assuming dxg is the right version, as dxi isn't recognised. Any tips on creating the rootfs?
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #43
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Now that was silly of me... I was thinking about what we're trying to do here, and I realised this should require special permissions for it to work. In other words, I should have jailbroken my DX before attempting this! No problem, this isn't the first time I've done the jaibreak, so a quick update later I'm doing the rootfs image update again, and this time it didn't fail, it's running happily showing message 'Creating image...'.

Maybe this will be useful to others who're trying to help yifanlu with his exciting project.
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #44
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Thanks for your help. However, I ask you and others to not post the rootfs image directly in the thread, as it contains amazon copyrighted code. Wouldn't want to get the forums in trouble. The very reason I'm making an installer is because of this. Otherwise, I could just release a 400MB update that would just work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer2k View Post
Tried to get my rootfs image,

However, update_make-image-k2i.bin Update fails within seconds (U007), any idea?
You need to jailbreak.

Last edited by yifanlu; 04-16-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #45
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
Thanks, that did it.
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote