Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Question Buy new Kindle now...or wait?

I've been reading Kindle books on my desktop and wanting to buy the device. I was waiting for the new thinner version in August, but now I read the new version may not be out until December. Meanwhile the price has dropped. Should I wait or just buy it now?
Thanks.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I wouldn't be too hung up on thinness - I find the existing K2 almost too thin already! I ended up buying a nice case to put it in just to make it feel a bit thicker and to protect the screen a little more.

Does the K3 offer that much more than the K2? it should have a slightly better screen but I don't think it's likely to be an unbreakable plastic one. For that matter does the K2 offer that much more than the K1 apart from TTS? Another option might be to buy a refurbished K2 for $139.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm in the same position in that my old Kindle went Kablooey.
Right now I'm reading on my iPhone, Sony Pocket, and stealing my kid's Kindle when possible but I REALLY WANT MY OWN KINDLE!!! I wish I had a crystal ball so I could see what Amazon will be doing.

Also still waiting for the American Express warranty service to decide if they're going to give me cash or replace the unit. They sure are not Amazon Customer Service.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
hehe..Perhaps you haven't seen the thread here.

If you need a Kindle now, get a Kindle now. It's pointless to derive yourself of the pleasure and value an eReader would bring to your life just because a better one might come out. Plus, you can always trade it in when the time comes, if you so choose.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would put the purchase off just a bit longer, honestly. I think we'll soon see an announcement of a Graphite K2i with the new pearl screen, similar to the new DX. It should be really nice and worth a little wait.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
How solid is are the reports of a delay until December? Amazon has delayed new Kindle introductions in the past, but I think it is worth waiting until mid-August to see what happens. Note that more Nooks were reportedly made in April-May than Kindle 2's apparently because the Kindle 3 production was spinning up (originally reported by digitimes, see Worldwide ebooks shipment top 740,000 in April-May).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If you want to get the 6" then wait for the new model. It doesn't make sense to buy old technology when new (and better) is only a month away. If you want the DX, then buy now.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I think Amazon's track record is to unveil new products in the summer that will be out for fall shopping season...Maybe August-ish they'll make their official announcements. I'd probably wait another week or two to see how things go. My friend just bought one for 300 prior to the price drop (like a week shy of refund eligibility)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
Buy it now at the cheap price. There is nothing lacking in the existing model.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
I can't see any major improvements in the next version. Get the refurb now for $139 and start enjoying!
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Wait at least until the reviews come in on the new screen they're using for the graphite DX. That same screen will almost certainly be on the K3, and if it really is 50% better contrast, it will be worth the wait for the new model. Contrast is one of the biggest complaints about using an e-ink reader.

Since the new DX ships this week, you'll see people posting here and on kindleboards quickly enough that you should still be able to pick up a cheap K2 if you decide to. Or wait for the new model to come out, there will be plenty of people selling their old ones to upgrade...probably complete with a plethora of accessories that won't fit the new model. Some will even have extended warranties...my Square Trade warranty still has nearly two years to run, and is fully transferable.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If you want to get the 6" then wait for the new model. It doesn't make sense to buy old technology when new (and better) is only a month away. If you want the DX, then buy now.
Yes, it's probably safe to get a DX since that just came out. Kindle 6inch you could wait a few more months if you want. We should hear something by end of summer I'm guessing.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to wait until the end of August and see what's available then. With a new book launching, I'm too busy to read much right now anyway!
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Personally, I'd buy a spanking brand new Kindle 2i today at $189 and start enjoying it when it arrives tomorrow. As an impact on the household budget, $189 is manageable and, if in two months or five months time, the price is $40 less ... so what?

Or, maybe a Kindle 3 arrives with spiffy new stuff this fall. If the Kindle 3 is really that cool that I must upgrade then, well, an (almost new) Kindle 2i will make a very nice gift for another member of the family, a friend, or can be turned into cash from a Craigslist "friend" ....
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Ignatz Mouse
Zealot
Ignatz Mouse doesn't litterIgnatz Mouse doesn't litterIgnatz Mouse doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch, Galaxy Note
I'm ready to buy my first device now. But still hesitating between 2 :

- buying now the new Kindle DX Graphite ( can be shipped to France now )
or
- waiting september : the coming of the new Asus eeeTablet ?
http://www.eeetablet.net/

What I'm ready to pay : in the $300 - $400

What I read :

- PDF ( mostly between 1 and 2 Mo, the biggest one : 5 Mo ) -> I need a 9' screen device.
- old novels from the public domain downloaded from Internet Archive or free-ebooks sites ( all are available in Mobi, Kindle, or epub without DRM )

What I don't want to read on a e-reader :

Reference books ( I prefer to buy these in paper form ) and recent novels ( I prefer to go at my local public library )

Questions :

1° Can I read books reproduced in PDF in scan/photo ( like yearly Library of Congress catalog of copyright entries ) with such readers ?

2° Is there a great difference ( for reading ) between the new Pearl screen ( Kindle ) and the Wacom one ( Asus ) ?

I don't need a tablet, actually : I prefer waiting until end 2011 and buying a reader only device now.
Ignatz Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote