Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
epoch
epoch began at the beginning.

Device: not sure
Question Should I buy a Kindle 2 now or wait for the next one?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Kindle 2 now (June 2010), but I've read bits and pieces about a new one coming out in August 2010. Does anyone believe that this is likely to be true and worth the wait?

Thanks
epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
good question, and I'd like to hear from insiders/experts too.
Me, I was 1-click-away from "buy now" on the Kindle DX page.

What would you do?

Do you believe that what should be coming will be a new medium-size device, or a large DX-like???

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Well, August is around the corner...

You may want to take a look at this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85307
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
I would wait. If I did not have a Kindle already, I might go for an iPad instead.
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I was in the same position but figured that the K2 already does most of what I need so I went ahead and bought one. I just wanted the wikipedia and web access, I also liked the idea of the TTS. I'm sure the K3 would offer an incremental improvement in a slimmer package but I just didn't want to wait any longer. They're also selling the K2 cheaper at the moment

I could wait for more products to be released but figured I'd been waiting for long enough already. Of course if I can't get it to do everything I want in the first week then it will go straight back and I'll wait for a better product.

I'm now impatiently waiting for delivery.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you don't mind a refurb (and a US/Sprint version) you can get a K2 for $189.99 while they last...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

At that price you could probably sell it for what you paid when/if the K3 comes out and put towards the new device if you want/need a reader right now.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-16-2010 at 12:36 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
There will always be a next one.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
My husband is in the same place - likes my Kindle but we've heard a new one will be out soon. Got my Kindle 2 a little over a year ago and haven't read a dtb since - love it!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
epoch

Hey all, just to come full circle, I ended up buying the K2. I figured I could make the most of it this summer, rather than later in August when school starts back up again. In the event that the new Kindle is really worth it, I can make a gift of this one to a family member and consider shelling out for the new one.

Although I must say the refurbished would probably have been the way to go.

Last edited by epoch; 06-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
There will always be a next one.
Truer words were never spoken.

I just ordered it!

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Congratulations of your purchase alexxx. I'm assuming you bought the Kindle DX.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
FYI: I purchased a refurb K2 a year ago and it has been perfect, and as if it were brand new. I HIGHLY recommend purchasing the refurbs on Amazon versus new if they are available.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
FWIW they also have DX (us) refurbs for $369.99...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
epoch

Yeah, after I edited my previous post I actually went ahead and bought the refurb. I'm planning on returning the new one with their generous return policy.

Thanks AnemicOak!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Sounds like a master plan, epoch!
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote