Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-26-2022, 07:41 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
"Scan and fix the device" after removing a book with Calibre

Whenever I remove a book from my device using Calibre, the next time I plug it in Windows nags me about there being an issue with the drive, though errors are never found. Initially I thought that it was a dirty bit issue, but I'm ejecting properly.

This doesn't happen if I remove from the Kobo itself.

Has anyone else come across a similar issue?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-26-2022 at 07:49 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:10 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No, but I have started to hear multiple USB connect tones and sometime have to press connect again on my Libra2.
3 things have converged:
1) Kobo updated FW recently
2) Calibre is at 5.35
3) Weekly Windows updates (Tuesday for me)

Could be any. have you updated your Kobo? If no, we can scratch that.

BTW are you waiting for the Kobo to Process new books before pulling the USB (I know you ejected)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2022, 09:36 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm making sure all jobs finish first. Also Calibre won't let me eject until they are.

My Kobo is still using 4.20.18838. I checked updates but didn't get one. Maybe I'll need to load up Kobo app in the desktop to get it.

EDIT: I just updated firmware. Wonder if it'll help.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-27-2022 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:30 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Funny, after I posted here, the next time I connected my Libre2 I got that message. I had Windows 'fix' it, then it connected to Calibre.
BUT
When I had Calibre 'eject', it did and the Libra REBOOTED
Old 01-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #5
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I too am suddenly having this issue on my Elipsa (with FW 4.31.19086) after never experiencing it with previous firmware versions. Also, sometimes the Elipsa will reboot after ejecting it from Calibre, and then it wants to begin the setup procedure. It doesn't always do this, and I am still trying to track down what I am doing to trigger it. After one of the reboots, I noticed that 8 or 9 books (out of 300+) on the reader didn't match up to their corresponding books in Calibre, so I matched them up and updated the metadata. Everything seemed fine until I compressed the database. The next time I connected, I got the "There is a problem with this device" error. I let Windows (11) "fix" it, but when I ejected, I had to go through the whole setup procedure again. I haven't compressed the database since then. So far, so good, although the "There is a problem with this device" error has shown up a couple of times since. However, if I ignore it, eject, and reconnect, there is no error. Oh, and one more thing: recently I tried to remove a book from the Elipsa by long-pressing it and selecting "Remove from library" (or whatever the actual wording is), but the book wouldn't delete. I had to remove it from within Calibre. Not sure if that is related.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I ran a database check after each of the incidents, which came back with no errors.

Last edited by icallaci; 01-29-2022 at 07:04 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2022, 07:28 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

There is something going on with the USB. I am still getting multiple connect 'dings' in windows, flashes of the screen during attach, then not always recognizing eject happened (windows thinks it did).

I also lost my reading location when I logged out of my account and re logged on.
Books were restored, but all were unread even tho I had done a sync before logging out.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:32 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I haven't deleted any books recently, but recently I plugged in a second time to upload the metadata on a new sideloaded book and got the 'there's a problem...' for half a second before it disappeared. Database was fine though.

I've switched from daily to every-connection database upbacks to be on the safe side.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-29-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I've been getting the Windows "scan & fix" error with some of my Kobos for a few years. For me it has always been device-dependent.

Glo, AuraHD, Aurav1, AuraH2O, GloHD, AuraOne have never had it in all the years I've owned them.

ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2 (i.e. the 3 newest devices) have all had it from day one. It's intermittent and doesn't seem to be related to a particular cable or a particular PC USB port. Nor does it only happen when using calibre, it can happen whether calibre is open or not.

Just FYI ... @NiLuJe did find a fix many firmwares ago. It involved replacing a small system file (bin/dosfsck) with a newer version than Kobo were using. It worked well (for me) at first but, unfortunately, stopped working (for me) a few firmwares later.

I would like it to be fixed permanently but I try not to worry about it anymore. No errors have ever been found during the fix and my Kobo database has never been corrupted when it happens.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-29-2022 at 07:55 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:20 PM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

My now-retired Aura HD started reporting a lot more scan&fixes in the last year of its life. I suspect the SD card was going bad as it was prone to freezes/database corruption and occasionally reset itself back to factory. The last time it happened it suddenly rebooted and reverted back to factory while I was in the middle of reading. Fun, that.

On the other hand, my usage case is probably not average -- I read a lot of fanfics, which means that I'm frequently re-sending the same book and running Kobo Utilities' "update TOC" on whatever ones have updated.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-29-2022 at 09:57 PM.