Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you donate U$S 10 to have a better contentlister?
Yeah, of course! 35 79.55%
No way José 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
a) See if anyone else (besides me) was bothered by this curse (the six-files-per-page thing)
That would be a definite YES. Increasing the number of items in the content lister was probably the #1 most requested improvement for the iLiad.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #17
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Thanks Shaggy, I kind of suspected that.

BTW, I've seen that last couple of days the "No way José" option won a few votes.
It's funny that only 'yes'-voters care to take a minute and write us about the reason for their choosing. I cannot understand how people can pay 600€ (I'm in Europe) for an Iliad half-usable and not be willing to pay the 'hypothetical' $10 extra to have it really working (I mean productive working).

I know some people will say that they've already paid for the product, and therefore that this functionality should already be covered by that. Well, if that's the reason for voting 'No' to this poll, it would be great to state it here, so that iRex would know what users think of their product (both hardware and software).

Cheers!
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #18
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I was one of the people who voted "No.".

I don't think that open source projects should be "Paid" for. If it was working on such a project, I wouldn't accept the money. To me, accepting donations means that you are required to provide full support for your creation, and accept any liability from it.

We certainly have plenty of developers willing to do this work for free, in their spare time. The problem for most people, I assume, is finding that free time. Money's not really a factor.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #19
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

I know Adam B., and I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that people like you exist to make our lifes a lot easier. I didn't mean to offend you (or any of the great developers this forum has) by this. Moreover, I agree that open source project should not be paid for. But hey! that's why they invented donations!

I wish you all a happy new year! Bon réveillon à tous!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #20
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I voted "No", too. And I voted before my first post in this thread.

The reason:
1. Same as Adam.
2. Money does not matter. What matters to me is people's willingness to spare some time to think , try, participate, discuss, and feedback. As a amateur developer, I would like to interact with users and see people's feedback more than money, unless the amount of money is so huge that I can't resist.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-31-2008 at 03:57 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
[...] Money does not matter. [...] unless the amount of money is so huge that I can't resist.
"Amo de sus silencios, y esclavo de sus palabras" ...
Old 01-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #22
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
"Amo de sus silencios, y esclavo de sus palabras" ...
我看不懂你在說什麼?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

Ah! I'm sorry, I see "you don't know what I am talking about"
(I learnt a bit of chinese during my high school, and have always been fascinated by the culture ever since).

I'm sorry, that's just spanish. It means something like:
"[A man is] is master of his silences and a slave of his words".

I guessed my translation would not be as good as the original phrase.
Kind of "Traduttore, traditore!", if you know what i mean.

你明白吗?
感谢投票,并表达您的意见。
Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #24
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

PS
Sorry in advance for my mistakes on chinese!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #25
ericshliao
Guru

I guess you tried to indicate that there is some contradiction in my words in that post. But I don't think there is any if you read the whole paragraph without omitting some sentence.

子日:知之為知之,不知為不知,是知也。
Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #26
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
I haven't been around much recently, mostly because of thesis work. I should be away for another month or so, at which time I hope to have the thesis mostly wrapped up. In the meantime, it looks like the iLiad OS will be on the back burner for me, so some serious delays should be expected in the project.

I mention this because I'm currently looking for a job, as all near-graduates are, and the options are pretty slim, given the state of the economy. I've been applying to job listings for months and not really getting anywhere.

Anyway, at one point in my search I seriously considered whether I could work on iLiad OS and related projects as a full-time job, supported by some combination of donations and advertising revenue. I'm a big e-book enthusiast and would love to work on it seriously, full time. And, of course, it would expand my resume in new (and potentially more employ-able) directions for the future.

Ultimately, however, I decided that it wouldn't be feasible. My reasons were roughly:
  1. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Many people are actively contributing to iLiad development, and I worry that trying to make money by expanding other peoples' work would offend everyone who works on it for free!
  2. Small user base. E-books are still a niche market, and within that market the iLiad is even smaller. Many major open-source development projects can only afford a few full-time employees. It's not realistic to expect to make even a small living working on such a (relatively) small project.
But to answer the original post: If a developer started a FOSS project for an iLiad-compatible e-book ContentLister, and if they made a home page for the project, and if they put up a tip jar on the home page, AND if I actually HAD $10 to spare, then yes, I think I probably would donate.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:44 AM   #27
joelypolly
joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iliad
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
I haven't been around much recently, mostly because of thesis work. I should be away for another month or so, at which time I hope to have the thesis mostly wrapped up. In the meantime, it looks like the iLiad OS will be on the back burner for me, so some serious delays should be expected in the project.

I mention this because I'm currently looking for a job, as all near-graduates are, and the options are pretty slim, given the state of the economy. I've been applying to job listings for months and not really getting anywhere.

Anyway, at one point in my search I seriously considered whether I could work on iLiad OS and related projects as a full-time job, supported by some combination of donations and advertising revenue. I'm a big e-book enthusiast and would love to work on it seriously, full time. And, of course, it would expand my resume in new (and potentially more employ-able) directions for the future.

Ultimately, however, I decided that it wouldn't be feasible. My reasons were roughly:
  1. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Many people are actively contributing to iLiad development, and I worry that trying to make money by expanding other peoples' work would offend everyone who works on it for free!
  2. Small user base. E-books are still a niche market, and within that market the iLiad is even smaller. Many major open-source development projects can only afford a few full-time employees. It's not realistic to expect to make even a small living working on such a (relatively) small project.
But to answer the original post: If a developer started a FOSS project for an iLiad-compatible e-book ContentLister, and if they made a home page for the project, and if they put up a tip jar on the home page, AND if I actually HAD $10 to spare, then yes, I think I probably would donate.
My advice to you is keep trying with your job applications. When I graduated it took over 60+ resumes over 2 months before I got 2 interviews. And once I got to the interview I got the job. Now that I am on the other side of the fence (hiring) I find that there is an incredible signal to noise ratio that makes it really hard to find who is actually worth the time to give an interview to. Maybe you can sign up with a recruiter in your area.

There are a lot of ways of making money without stepping on people's toes. First and foremost be upfront about the fact that the project is a community thing. You could take the lead on a lot of things as you would be the one with the most free time. Also a lot of times people pay for "support" as opposed to paying for a package/product. Maybe talk to the other contributers about what they think.

If you had your own blog you would put some advertisements up, write some howto's for the iLiad, maybe send it to iRex so you get a bit more traffic etc. I don't think anyone in the community will look down on you for doing that. What's stopping you from being that developer you mentioned in the post

Anyways my 2c
joelypolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #28
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

Hey!
I don't know if it is just me, but it looks as if the "money thing" in this post/poll kind of offended some people, or led others to believe that if they actually do it for the money they would be "stepping on people's toes".

I really appreciate the initiative and the effort of those of you who just develop software for fun, for the kicks, for the challenge, for other users, etc. But I am also aware that all those reasons, as soul-fulfilling as they might be, do not fulfill your stomach when you're hungry.

So, if you're good at it, if you do it proffesionally and offer a good product/support... why not?

From a personal standpoint, I would say that _if_ it would help boost the community project, I would for sure donate. I deeply believe in open-source user-supported community projects.

I would love to hear your opinions!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #29
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Oh- sorry, I may have been unclear. The thought process I describe above happened a couple of months ago. My worry that people might be offended came from my own analysis a while ago, and had nothing to do with this poll or any of the responses (most of which I haven't read!).

Even if I wasn't worried about offending people, I still wouldn't develop for the iLiad full-time because there just isn't enough money in it. Don't worry! I'll still be working on it in my spare time... once I have some spare time... And thanks for the moral support about my job search-- I'm sure I'll find something eventually!

Cheers!

Last edited by jharker; 01-09-2009 at 06:48 PM.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #30
JamesT
JamesT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hi Jharker

Support from people is more important than most of us realise in our hectic busy lives. I would like to add my best wishes to you and also hope you find employment soon. I have just retired and am having to adjust the other way!

I am not a programmer so have no way to support the development of the iLiad in any meaningful way but would love to see the device developed to its full potential. I have occasionally tried to dabble in coding but get confused with all the various programming languages. I would be interested to read a basic howto on which language to concentrate on learning even if it was to only better understand what the developers talk about.

Anyway, all the best!
JamesT

Last edited by JamesT; 01-13-2009 at 10:47 AM.
JamesT is offline   Reply With Quote