Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
nebulink
nebulink began at the beginning.

Device: none
DR-1000s Or Motion Computing Slate

I have been toying with the idea of getting a DR-1000s for around the office. I would use it for reading technical documents and taking notes during meetings. I would also probably scribble on some pdf's on occasion.

However, it appears the device is riddled with many bugs and the battery life is not that great.

So, I thought about getting a slate from Motion Computing.

This device probably has just about the same battery life as a DR-1000s.

I have no experience using a slate and not sure how well it would be used for taking notes during the day. I really want to get rid of the pads of paper on my desk.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
nebulink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
A couple things come to my mind in comparing the 2 devices.
One, the DR is not designed to be your primary portable computing device where the LE appears to be.

Two, the LE is a much larger and heavier device. Consider the numbers:
The DR-
* Height: 10.56 inches
* Width: 8.55 inches
* Dept: 0.472 inches
* Weight: 20.1 oz.

The LE-
Dimensions
11.65" x 9.64" x 0.74" – 0.87"
(296mm x 245mm x 18.7 – 22mm)

Weight
3.3 lbs. with Standard Battery
4.3 lbs. with Extended Battery

The DR is designed with 2 functions in mind, reading it's particular types of documents, most notably PDF's, and writing on documents for later importing to typed text. In my personal experience, it does both of those things pretty well even with the battery life issue.

I prefer the DR's e-ink screen to lcd for lots of reading, but that is a very personal preference and may not match your experiences or preferences at all.

For all that, I'm a big fan of tablets that work well. The LE is a very interesting looking device, and I would definitely have to dig in and do some serious research before I decide one way or the other.
LE1700 Review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2107214,00.asp

Last edited by PhishStyx; 03-19-2009 at 07:49 PM.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
By the way unlike some have posted, I have had very little trouble writing on the DR's surface although calibration tends to give out on the left edge in portrait mode, and I have occasionally had the so-called "pen bug" coming out of sleep mode when the battery gets below about 30%.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
A tablet or a UMPC is an entirely different beast. They usually do a whole lot more than just viewing documents, but come with the downside of being heavier. 2-3lbs is brick territory and 3-4lbs is getting into lump territory - not exactly your friend for bedroom or even armchair reading. These devices can also get hot, and it matters how well the cooling vents are designed and where they're placed.

I've used the Samsung Q1 UMPC which is really light and has a 6 inch widescreen. It did well for note taking, but the smallness of the screen got in the way. Reading technical documents was a real pain and you end up having to scroll around like crazy before you get an idea about whats on the page.

A 12 inch screen might be great for note taking and reading technical manuals, but I think its a bit too big and you're paying the price in weight. Look around for a 10 inch odd screen - I think that'll suit your purposes and also be lighter.

Since you're going to be taking notes, the eink refresh rate will get in the way (slightly, I actually don't mind it).

The whole LCD vs eink display quality depends on your personal preference. I actually used the LCD screen on my UMPC to read countless technical documents without trouble (especially in low-light scenarios), but I can see the eink screen being far more appropriate for curling up in bed for a long reading session.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
nebulink

Thanks for all the info.

One thing I just realized is that the DR-1000s does not support wireless. That is odd since they talk about it quite a bit on their website. It appears the DR-1000sw supports wireless but it does not appear to be for sale.

What's the status on the wireless?

Also, are there any other e-book devices similar to the DR-1000s that supports reading of books and using as a notepad? Perhaps the Sony PRS-700? I know you can read books, it has a touch screen but I am unsure if it supports scribble.

Maybe I am too early in this game trying to get a decent electronic notepad.

After some thought. The most important feature for me would be to have a paperless electronic notepad that would allow me to print my notes if I needed to and the battery life would have to last about 8hrs.

Maybe an e-book is not really what I need. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds.

It would also be nice to have the bible on the e-book and have the ability to take notes during service.

OK, I will stop rambling. Just the dreams of a techi.
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
No idea when the DR1000SW will ship, but you can sign up here to be notified.

Apart from the Sony, you can look at the Iliad (2nd edition), also by iRex. If you haven't already, take a look at the eBook reader matrix to see what else is out there.

If you want something primarily for note taking, a tablet or a UMPC might be more appropriate, although will end up being much more expensive and heavy. You can find a few that have 8-9 hours battery life, and you don't have to worry about note taking software, compatibility, conversion etc. as they will run standard operating systems.

If you want the light weight, lower cost, eink screen, better battery life (not currently true for the DR), go for an ebook reader. For wireless readers with a largish screen, you're limited to the Iliad for now.

If you're willing to wait, there are several tablets as well as ebook readers that are "supposed" to be coming out over the next year or so: DR1000SW, Plastic Logic, possibly Onyx's Boox, the rumored Kindle 3 and Brother's SV-100B. The Kohjinsha and the upcoming ASUS Eee PC Tablet may also be under your radar.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
nebulink

Thanks Grimulkan!

You basically sealed the deal for me. I think I am pretty much better off waiting for a year to see what surfaces. The other products you listed are very intriguing and would probably suit my needs better.

Thanks to everyone for the input.