Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #76
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I imagine the price may drop after it is released and has been out for a while. Certainly the Kindle started out expensive and its price has dropped to become more affordable over time, as many electronic devices have in the past.
I suspect we would only see a price drop if a competitive device comes out. I seem to remember the Kindle and Nook ereaders took a major price drop after when Kobo entered the market at a lower price point.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #77
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect we would only see a price drop if a competitive device comes out. I seem to remember the Kindle and Nook ereaders took a major price drop after when Kobo entered the market at a lower price point.
Well, its main competitor, then, will be the Onyx Boox e-Note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CF1RZ-UVCA
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #78
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I do remember when the 1st gen of Kindle came out it was very expensive and had some shortcomings (or so it appeared). 1st gen of anything is always like that I think. I got my fiancee a new DVD player at the end of last month for $24.99 plus tax. When they first came out I wouldn't have been able to afford one. Likewise TV's were expensive back in the 1950's. That's why winning one on a game show was such a big deal back then. Winning a $500.00 TV set was quite a prize back in those days.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #79
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The company has been getting coverage by one of Norway's biggest economic news sites e24 with the latest article published today.

According to the interview they're currently on prototype 7, v 9 is the one that will be sent to customers. I get the impression that it's more or less ready, with minor tweaks and performance tuning remaining.

Original article (in Norwegian):
http://e24.no/digital/gr-nder/remark...roner/24010870

For those who doesn't know Norwegian (Google translate):
Norwegian to English

Last edited by thinkpad; 05-31-2017 at 02:19 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:46 PM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BBC News article, too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technol...ike-real-paper
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #81
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
since sony is releasing the DPTRP1 in 3 weeks for about the same price price with better specs, albeit less the support for epub, how do you think the reMarkable will fare with a release date in august?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:48 PM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
since sony is releasing the DPTRP1 in 3 weeks for about the same price price with better specs, albeit less the support for epub, how do you think the reMarkable will fare with a release date in august?
It strikes me they're going after rather different markets. The Sony is purely a PDF reader, aimed primarily at the business market. This seems to be targeted more at creative types.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #83
juegos
Connoisseur
juegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Do you guys think the 10.3 inch screen of the Remarkable is sufficient for reading (scientific) pdfs and making notes? Or is it too small and is the 13.3 inch DPT RP1 better, or too big?
juegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:54 AM   #84
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It strikes me they're going after rather different markets. The Sony is purely a PDF reader, aimed primarily at the business market. This seems to be targeted more at creative types.
Same "creative" doodling can be done on Sony's Digital Paper.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #85
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by juegos View Post
Do you guys think the 10.3 inch screen of the Remarkable is sufficient for reading (scientific) pdfs and making notes? Or is it too small and is the 13.3 inch DPT RP1 better, or too big?
I use Onyx M96 and N96ML, both with 9.7" screen, read mainly technical books and documentation, scribble and annotate a lot and find both the screen size and the resolution comfortable for what I do. Also not too bulky for carrying around.

According to the spec ReMarkable has slightly larger screen, 10.3”, and higher resolution, 1872x1404 (Onyx M96/N96 is 1200x825/9.7", Onyx Max 2200x1650/13.3" and Onyx i86 1600x1200/8", the last one I found to be too small for my use). Also the screen sits flush to the tablet frame which should make taking notes much better experience, it's a great idea.

I'm quite excited about ReMarkable. The company seems to be run by people who know what they are doing and unlike with Onyx you actually know who they are! Also the (promotional) price is similar to what you currently have to spend on similarly sized Onyx (but watch out for taxes) and you will be getting much more polished device (at least based on what journalists say in their reviews).

The only worries I have right now is that there is Wi-Fi but the only thing you can do with is to access ReMarkable's own cloud service (although apparently they are working on integration with other providers) and no external storage.

Here is a bunch of links to reviews I received in an email from ReMarkable:

* The Verge
* Mashable
* Trusted Reviews
* Digital Trends
* BBC
* Stuff
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:37 AM   #86
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by juegos View Post
I have both a 9.7" and a 12.9" iPad, so this device sits in between those. For me, certainly, the 13" screen is much better when it comes to reading PDFs, because most PDFs are formatted for A4/Letter page sizes, and the 13" screen can comfortably display them without having to zoom in.

The other side of the coin is that the 10" device is much more portable. When I travel, I take my 9.7" iPad with me, not the bigger one. A difference of 3" in screen size may not sound like much, but it's more than it may sound when it comes to portability.

I'd say this would be an excellent device if you want something reasonably portable, but if you'll primarily be using it in one place, I'd get a 13" device instead.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-01-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #87
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I have both a 9.7" and a 12.9" iPad, so this device sits in between those. For me, certainly, the 13" screen is much better when it comes to reading PDFs, because most PDFs are formatted for A4/Letter page sizes, and the 13" screen can comfortably display them without having to zoom in.

The other side of the coin is that the 10" device is much more portable. When I travel, I take my 9.7" iPad with me, not the bigger one. A difference of 3" in screen size may not sound like much, but it's more than it may sound when it comes to portability.

I'd say this would be an excellent device if you want something reasonably portable, but if you'll primarily be using it in one place, I'd get a 13" device instead.
Is there also an appreciable difference in weight between the 9.7" and 10" devices HarryT? Or is it more just a matter of fitting in whatever you carry the device in?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #88
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We are august and nothing happens...
Old 08-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What did they say would happen?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #90
viceant
Addict

Quote:
What did they say would happen?
Its launch was expected in august, I think