Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
To me, "selling" an eBook in a non-transformable format is almost as bad a putting DRM on it. Almost all the same restrictions are there.
I see you're point, but I find it less compelling than you seem to.

PDF isn't going away totally any time soon, it's too widely used, so it's about as permanent as you can get for these things. An unlocked PDF lets me move it around and use it as I please, so I can keep it regardless of what my hardware does.

About the only thing I can't do with it is easily pull the contents out. Yes, that's not a good thing, but it's largely the same for most widely used formats out there, so it's not like it's uniquely malicious or anything.

If a "publishers" criteria is to reach as many people as they can, without requiring those folks to jump through lots of hoops and to make their "book" as portable as possible, it's hard to blame them for looking at unsecured PDF. You really have to dig into things to find the drawbacks, and that sort of minutia isn't the sort of thing "publishers" tend to be good at.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that PDF isn't the best format for anything except its designed purpose (that being preservation of document formatting/layout and contents across platforms), but I just cannot agree with you that choosing it can only be interpreted as a sign that the "publisher" is specifically and expressly out to screw over his customers.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #47
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
To state something as fact, as you have attempted to do here, needs more testing, and more information about the variables tested.
Hmmm... So, doing a test, publishing the method and results means "needs more testing" especially when other people see similar results?

If you wish to keep testing, that's fine. But as far as I am concerned, it's a fact that PDF is a bloated format.

Quote:
But the fact remains that PDF is a everywhere and many times, it is the only electronic format that one can get books in.
Officially. There are many unofficial sources.

Quote:
Our discussion may be about PDF but how can one talk about PDF files without talking about software?
Because PDF does not equal Acrobat and many eBooks are not read on devices supported by Adobe.

Quote:
Just because other software vendors and companies that have produced electronic reading devices do not capitalize on this functionality does not mean it does not exist or that the file format is inferior.
Back to my statement about a feature that no one knows exists doesn't exist.

Quote:
Oh, now you are talking about hacking the files! Something the average reader probably isn't even concerned with doing. Again, I state, "if Adobe wants to lock down the file to protect their intellectual property, that's certainly up to them."
So you are asserting that when I create an eBook in PDF that it becomes Adobe's "intellectual property". Interesting view.

Quote:
Failed in what ways? Have you even read a tagged PDF file on a handheld? How can you make such a global statement as this?
No. Because none of the PDFs that I had were tagged and were unreadable on my PDA. Even if it was tagged, 2.4MB is far too bloated a file to put on my PDA when I can put a 300K file on instead and get exactly the same functionality.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #48
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
No, not the smallest - the largest - especially for tagged PDFs.

But I just tried out the tagged PDF I created and, voila!, it does resize and reflow nicely in xpdf. Wow! It works exactly the same as the Mobipocket version - at 6 times the size.
To be blunt... so what?

People load and play entire multi-gig movies onto PDAs today. Processors are faster and meaner than they were just a few years ago. Today's SW and HW can handle larger files. Who's sweating about the size of a PDF file, really?

By that logic, the only "viable" e-book format is the single format that generates the smallest files... all others suck eggs. I just don't accept that as a good reason to beat on PDFs.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
To be blunt... so what?
Have you been reading the thread about people wanting all their content on their device? If I can use a format that allows me to put 6 times as much content in the same space... yea, I'm choosing the more compact format.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got a whole list of reasons I prefer other formats over PDF long before I get anywhere near file size.
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #51
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
People load and play entire multi-gig movies onto PDAs today. Processors are faster and meaner than they were just a few years ago. Today's SW and HW can handle larger files. Who's sweating about the size of a PDF file, really?
What PDAs are you using? No PDA that I've seen can handle multi-gig movies.

If you are talking about the media devices that are out there, yes. They can handle large files - and are very poor for eBook reading and their PDF readers are even worse than the current crop of eBook devices. Oh, and did I mention that with all that extra hardware their battery life is about 3 hours?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #52
NatCh
Gizmologist

On memory cards, perhaps?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #53
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
On memory cards, perhaps?
Exactly. Put your files on a memory card, and you can play them on most PDAs. I do this now, with books and movies (my new iPaq 110 handles movies worlds better than my Toshiba e330 did).

Sure, I realize people would like to carry all their files on one device... heck, so would I! (But I'll point out, we're not in that thread... ) If you don't have the option of carrying memory cards with you, smaller files are clearly the way to go, forget the PDFs (and leave the movies at home, too).

But if your device includes a case that can carry even a few SD cards, for instance, you're talking about being able to take gigs of files with you. My PDA case carries a 2GB and 4GB card, so I have 6GB+ of storage space while on the move. That'll hold most of the docs on my PC's hard drive! And in that case, a 2MB PDF file is no worry.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-17-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #54
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Exactly. Put your files on a memory card, and you can play them on most PDAs. I do this now, with books and movies (my new iPaq 110 handles movies worlds better than my Toshiba e330 did).
it really handles movies coded with such high bit rate that the size of one movie is multi-gig?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #55
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:

Sure, I realize people would like to carry all their files on one device... heck, so would I! (But I'll point out, we're not in that thread... ) If you don't have the option of carrying memory cards with you, smaller files are clearly the way to go, forget the PDFs (and leave the movies at home, too).

But if your device includes a case that can carry even a few SD cards, for instance, you're talking about being able to take gigs of files with you. My PDA case carries a 2GB and 4GB card, so I have 6GB+ of storage space while on the move. That'll hold most of the docs on my PC's hard drive! And in that case, a 2MB PDF file is no worry.

Between my 4GB SD card and my 8 GB CF card, I have 12 GB of storage card memory always installed in my pocket pc. And that's old technology. The newest pocket pcs can accommodate SDHC cards - some of these cards can get as large as 32 GB....storage space and file size is just not such a big issue these days.

Oh, and I do watch movies on my Pocket PC too (but that's a different topic altogether).
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
No, not the smallest - the largest - especially for tagged PDFs.

But I just tried out the tagged PDF I created and, voila!, it does resize and reflow nicely in xpdf. Wow! It works exactly the same as the Mobipocket version - at 6 times the size.
Are you still complaining about the size due to a crappy conversion tool you use to make tagged files. Tagged files are only slightly larger than untagged files if you use the correct tool to make them. If it not the fault of PDF that you are using a crappy tool.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #57
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Between my 4GB SD card and my 8 GB CF card, I have 12 GB of storage card memory always installed in my pocket pc. And that's old technology. The newest pocket pcs can accommodate SDHC cards - some of these cards can get as large as 32 GB....storage space and file size is just not such a big issue these days.
You forget to mention that these devices also have the battery life of a normal laptop - which makes them poor devices for reading eBooks.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #58
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Are you still complaining about the size due to a crappy conversion tool you use to make tagged files. Tagged files are only slightly larger than untagged files if you use the correct tool to make them. If it not the fault of PDF that you are using a crappy tool.
What tool do you suggest I use, then?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #59
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
What tool do you suggest I use, then?
Adobe Acrobat, Framemaker, or ActiveSync. those are the best ones. The last one is free but you need a PPC to sync to and Windows XP or earlier. those are the only ones I have tested.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #60
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

You can probably also use InDesign to create tagged PDFs.

My iPaq 110 can handle SDHCs. I've converted a TV episode or two to WMF, and they play sweet!