Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Do E-Books Make It Harder to Remember What You Just Read?

Wow ... fantastic article explaining why paper book may help a bit when learning some material:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/1...impair-memory/

While I do not deny or confirm what it says, I must admit I can still remember some pages, lines or locations of dozens of computer books I still have at home. And when I need to refresh or read about a topic again, it came faster to my mind.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think it's more important for younger readers than adult readers, where memory development is crucial.

If you're a fiction reader, I think there's less impact on memorization whether reading it from a mass market paperback vs. an eReader.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipreads View Post
I think it's more important for younger readers than adult readers, where memory development is crucial.

If you're a fiction reader, I think there's less impact on memorization whether reading it from a mass market paperback vs. an eReader.
Good point.

If I recall well, the article is talking about textbooks or study materials.

On my case, I'm taking about database books or tutorial books, not fiction books. On those cases I can recall a whole topic if I remember a table or graphic that should be on X book.

Again, I'm nt saying the article is right, but somehow makes sense for non fiction material, in my opinion. It happened to me before and I didn't realize it until I read this article.

I think that a novel will read the same on ebook or paper book; but ebooks will be way more comfortable and convenient.

On a different topic but related, I find that I am more motivated to read very thick fiction books on my Kindle than any other format. It motivates me, especially when the book is a bit boring. A physiological factor I guess.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-14-2012 at 11:50 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I can barely remember the details of the last few books... As well as of the last few movies. It's my problem, not the media.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I used to see books as individual objects, I would recall a page in this or that book. Now I see all texts as one.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Wow ... fantastic article explaining why paper book may help a bit when learning some material:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/1...impair-memory/

While I do not deny or confirm what it says, I must admit I can still remember some pages, lines or locations of dozens of computer books I still have at home. And when I need to refresh or read about a topic again, it came faster to my mind.
There is always the same problem with this kind of research: apples and oranges.
Maybe everything is true what they said.
My reading experience is complety different. Because I use annotation, bookmarks plus I look up words and mark them.
Then it is easily possible to go through the book or a chapter after a short while, which is easy because the material is accessible on your reader.
So this reading process goes beyond reading.
Basicaly this is all about memory technique ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Do E-Books Make It Harder to Remember What You Just Read?

No, but falling asleep at the same page every night for a week does.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I was going to say something, but forgot what it was. Must be my computer screen...
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I forget details like character names in what I've just read in both e- and p- books. The difference is that ebooks have a better search utility.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I was going to say something, but forgot what it was. Must be my computer screen...
Nah.... you've fallen asleep, haven't you.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What was the question?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Trying to learn something (like Microsoft Access) is definitely easier for me with a paper book. I write notes on the pages, stick in Post-its, make separate notes, whatever works.

I forget what I'm reading sometimes, on the Kindle, if it's been awhile. I start reading where I left off and it takes me a few seconds to remember what the book was (sometimes). I kind of miss that header that gave me the book title and author name.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I forget what I'm reading sometimes, on the Kindle, if it's been awhile. I start reading where I left off and it takes me a few seconds to remember what the book was (sometimes). I kind of miss that header that gave me the book title and author name.
That's because your Kindle is too new. The title header is permanent on mine.
(although the author never shows)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It looks like they had to dig to find anything. Studies found that "when the exact same material is presented in both media, there is no measurable difference in student performance." So they kept digging, and found that poor psychology students and gave them economic texts to read, and found that more repetition was requires when using a computer rather than a paper text. An e-reader screen is not a computer display. The article also talks about landmarks on the paper page that help people remember. But when I'm looking at text on a page, it tends to be nothing but text on a page, whether I am reading a paper book or reading from an e-reader. A textbook can be laid out to make the data more digestible, but there's no reason this can't be done with an e-reader.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
A textbook can be laid out to make the data more digestible, but there's no reason this can't be done with an e-reader.
Exactly. "Textbooks" or rather, educational material, can be written and presented to optimize whatever media is to used. For example, stand alone book, classroom presentation with a workbook, textbook, webpages, whatever. It takes time to do it well, but it can be done.

Here's one: Do you remember the time better when you look at an analog or digital clock?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote