Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
oesgwynedd
oesgwynedd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Intro and Kindle useage question

Hi, thanks for bearing with me. I've had my reader for about 8 mo now and just love it.

But there are some things (BOOKS) i am finding that i would like to be able to transfer to my computer from my kindle to work on............

Is there any way to do this ? And i am one of those non techie person that needs to have the said:
a. do this this way it can be done and is easy!

b. if this come up.happens then you have to do it THIS way ,

c. DONT TOUCH THAT BUTTON DO THIS type of thing. ,

Live in Colorado raise breed and show Old English Sheepdogs around the world and most big name shows you have seen on the tv. But life turning events ar that I may be moving soon back to New Mexico.
I recently had back surgery so my Kindle was my savior............

Thanks for helping out a newbie
oesgwynedd!!
oesgwynedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Welcome to Mobileread!

Its certainly easy to transfer books from your computer to your Kindle. Of course, some people have different definitions of easy Someone will probably point out a guide for this, but here are some thoughts.

You can connect your Kindle to your PC using the USB cable that came with it. Once you do that you can go to your computer's file manager. e.g. Start -> Computer on Windows XP, and you will see an icon/entry for your Kindle (e.g. "Kindle E:"). Click on that - you are now looking at what is on your Kindle. Click on the entry "documents". You are now looking at all the books on your Kindle.

To copy a book to the Kindle, open another File Manager window and navigate to where you have your books on your computer. Select the book on your computer and then drag it to the "documents" folder you opened on the Kindle.

Now using the File manager window containing the "documents" folder, click on the "Computer" entry in "Computer->Kindle->documents" at the top or on the left. Then right click on "Kindle" and select Safely Remove.

You can now disconnect the cable to your Kindle and see the books you loaded (it might take a few seconds for the Kindle to refresh and show your books).

If that didn't make any sense, post again and we'll back up

There is one catch. The Kindle can only read books of the type Mobi, Text, or PDF. What type of books do you want to transfer to your Kindle? I mean - what format are they in - Epub, Mobi, Txt, PDF? You can tell usually by looking at the file extension (the last few characters) of the file you have on your PC: Mobi is usually ".mbp" or ".azw". The Kindle can read Mobi, PDF, and Txt, but not Epub. If you want to use Epub, or have a lot of books, then we'll need to talk about the Calibre software.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Gwynedd. I'm a Sony user, so I'll leave your question to the Kindleers. Just popping by to wish you happy e-reading and all the best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool another answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oesgwynedd View Post
Hi, thanks for bearing with me. I've had my reader for about 8 mo now and just love it.

But there are some things (BOOKS) i am finding that i would like to be able to transfer to my computer from my kindle to work on............

Is there any way to do this ? And i am one of those non techie person that needs to have the said:
a. do this this way it can be done and is easy!

b. if this come up.happens then you have to do it THIS way ,

c. DONT TOUCH THAT BUTTON DO THIS type of thing. ,

Live in Colorado raise breed and show Old English Sheepdogs around the world and most big name shows you have seen on the tv. But life turning events ar that I may be moving soon back to New Mexico.
I recently had back surgery so my Kindle was my savior............

Thanks for helping out a newbie
oesgwynedd!!
if we assume that the books you speak of are books purchased at amazon and that you have a windows pc then you don't want to or need to transfer from your kindle to your computer. you need to:

1. download, install and regtister kindle for pc
2. kindle for pc will have an archived items button, click on it.
3. all the ebooks you've bought at amazon will be listed there and you can move any of them to this new reader on your pc.

enjoy
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
The others have told you how to transfer your books from your Kindle to the PC. I can't add to the good advice they've given you.

However, you said you would like "to be able to transfer to my computer from my kindle to work on" (my emphasis).

I'm not sure in what way you want to "work on" the books. The point is that there's not a lot you can do to a Kindle book once it's on your PC.

You can open it in the Kindle for PC application (which is a free download from Amazon) and possibly in other applications like the Mobi Reader. Those programs will let you read the book on your PC, including searching, looking up words in the dictionary, etc. But that's about as far as you can go. For example, you can't print off pages, or copy and paste into other programs.

You can also import the books into Calibre, which is a free library management application. But unless you have a specific need to use any of its features, it's not in itself a compelling reason to transfer your books to your PC.

Hope this helps.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Question a point

there's a point that we all, so far, have let slip on by without explanation. it is:

a book on your kindle cannot be copied to your pc and then opened for reading with kindle for pc. it must be another copy downloaded from amazon specifically for your registered copy of kindle for pc.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
As others have said, you can use the Calibre software for easy and intuitive book transfers. The software is completely free and open source. I highly recommend it.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote