Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Device: K3, KT
Broken display

Hi:

I have been given a kindle 3 which display is broken. Looks like when a crystal breaks, but the damage is inside the display, the display itself (the surface you can touch) isnt broken apparently.

Also, when turning on, you can see text only in certain parts, not all the display.

Like this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110670

My question is: Is there way to buy replacement parts (a new display)?

Amazon has already replace the device to the owner, and has told him to throw the broken one away. I wonder if it can be repaired.

I wont throw it away since I have myself other two K3 and it is ok to have another (broken) device for replacement parts.

corp

Last edited by corpcd; 05-19-2011 at 04:33 AM.
corpcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If Amazon replaced it and instructed the original owner to "throw it away" then you probably won't be able to register it and use all of the features even if you could get the screen replaced. That particular serial number has probably been blacklisted.

Even if that didn't matter to you, I think it's going to be quite a while before consumers can pick up aftermarket (or original) replacement eink displays easily. I've been wrong before, though. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The screen is by far the most expensive part of the device. Even if you could get a replacement, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

I suggest you take it apart anyway. I took apart the K1 my husband broke, and it was really interesting to see how it was put together.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
az060693
az060693 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I would suggest removing the battery and keeping it. Batteries deteriorate over time, so charge the battery from the broken one up to about 40% and remove it.

I don't know how useful this will be, as the Kindle barely uses any power anyways, and by the time the battery from the working kindle's are defunct, you'll probably have a new ereader. Still, takes only a couple of secs, might as well.
az060693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I was suspecting that I would not be able to replace the display.

Anyway, I was thinking on taking it apart and keeping it for replacement parts: as you suggested, battery, keys...

corp
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Call Amazon. They have been amazingly good about replacing peoples broken Kindles, even when it has been a broken screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
corpcd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Call Amazon. They have been amazingly good about replacing peoples broken Kindles, even when it has been a broken screen.
To read is to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcd View Post
Amazon has already replaced the device to the owner, and has told him to throw the broken one away.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If you don't want to keep it around to use as replacement parts they sell pretty well on EBAY as broken Kindles.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
corpcd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
If you don't want to keep it around to use as replacement parts they sell pretty well on EBAY as broken Kindles.
Really?

Didnt know it! I will check it...

Thanks
corp