Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
Here's an installer.
Unzip it to a memory card an click on "Install javadjvu with Registry" in the contentlister.
The installer is based on Adam's Abiword installer and it seems to work fine on my iLiad.

Note: there is no uninstaller.
To uninstall manually:
- issue the command "ipkg remove javadjvu" in a shell
- In /mnt/settings/registry copy the registry.xml.djvu over registry.xml (assuming you have not modified the registry for other purposes after installing javadjvu).

Also note that the djvu support of this viewer is not great.
There is no way to zoom in or out (that I know), so reading djvu files with too small or too large pages is a problem.

EDIT: I see that there are multiple versions of the viewer out there, some with zooming support (fit page) and support for returning to the last viewed page when opening a document. I'll try to merge them when I have time (hopefully next weekend).
Attached Files
File Type: zip djvu-0.1a-install.zip (613.3 KB, 739 views)

Last edited by Martijn; 03-26-2008 at 04:43 AM.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #17
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Thanks, Martijn. It works for me.

Henk
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Thanks for the update of javadjvu, Martijn.
Some of my djvu files don't open, sometimes the app freezes & iLiad reboots.
Nevertheless it's nice to have a djvu viewer again.
If you get the zooming etc working, this would be very cool.

Last edited by yokos; 03-28-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: djvu != a djvu
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #19
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

I think the crashing & rebooting is caused by the javadjvu library.
The iLiad viewer is basically a small wrapper around it.

Several developers have tried and eventually given up on it because the javadjvu library is a mess (It hasn't been updated since september 2005).
Maybe I'll give up on it eventually too, but for now I'll try to get something working.

<speculation mode>
Anyway, I think the crashing is file specific. the Djvu2spec.djvu file from wikipedia seems to work fine.
Maybe there are some features of djvu that are not fully supported by javadjvu, and it is possible to write some "simplify-djvu" utility that converts djvu files to djvu files supported by javadjvu.
</speculation mode>
Old 03-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
non-java djvu viewers:
Djview or the viewer which is included in djvulibre are Qt based. This stops me, because I didn't get it work to crosscompile a Qt app.
<wish mode>
Evince use djvulibre, too. It's a GNOME app with a "--without-libgnome" configure option. Maybe this works.
</wish mode>
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 PM   #21
begleiter
begleiter began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Martijn, thanks!
begleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #22
begleiter
begleiter began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
> Some of my djvu files don't open..
The installation supports only *.djvu/*.DJVU suffixes. You can change this in the relevant config file (or just edit the file name).
begleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #23
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
hmm.. seeing how djvu seems rather less than usable, is there a way to neatly convert djvu files to another, better supported format? (either mobi or pdf, with a slight personal preference for the latter)

Last edited by zerospinboson; 04-11-2008 at 02:36 PM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #24
Martijn
Connoisseur

I'll try to work on improving the viewer, but I'm currently a bit busy (finishing my PhD and looking for a job).

But a conversion utility might be a good option anyway.
I know that there is djvups, which converts djvu to ps, which can then be converted to pdf.
I'm not sure how large the pdf files will become though.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
Luka Trifunovic
Luka Trifunovic began at the beginning.

Device: None
You can conver using djvups (it's fast) and than ps2pdf (it is very, very slow, couple hours). Another problem is size of pdf files converted from djvu (5 mb djvu file goes to ~80mb pdf file, and iliad slowly reads such files). Another solution is using vncviewer, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14148.
You run vncserver on your pc (enable multiple login is usefull) than using vncviewer you first login from your pc, open djvu viewer and document you want to read (you can do this from iliad but it is much easier to do it from pc), and that using ported vncviewer login from iliad and read document. You can move pages using stylus. You can use this solution for any application. I suggest using lan connection because of battery.
Luka Trifunovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #26
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn View Post
I'll try to work on improving the viewer, but I'm currently a bit busy (finishing my PhD and looking for a job).

But a conversion utility might be a good option anyway.
I know that there is djvups, which converts djvu to ps, which can then be converted to pdf.
I'm not sure how large the pdf files will become though.
Thanks for all your hard work while being so busy! My goal from the time I started with the Sony prs-505 [I now have almost all of them] has been to read Google books PDFs and Internet Archive"s DJVU and PDFs on an ereader. When I load a 35 mb pdf on the Illiad the pages turn way too slow, but the zoom does the text size fine. I hope a DJVU reader on the illiad or Sony firmware update will fix the problem. Any advice is welcome. THese books are actually made up of pictures of the origional book pages.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #27
fantispug
fantispug began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Hi,
I have just installed this using the installer (djvu-0.1a-install.zip) and restarted (several times). When I try to open a .djvu file (in the form "Abcd.djvu") it will apparently start to open (it makes loading signals) them but quit out before anything is displayed.

I have tried three different files with the same problem. I tried opening one of the files directly with the latest release of javadjvu on my computer with no issue.

When I have a look at the installer it says that it has been installed and to restart (I'm just guessing it always says this after installation independent of restarts).

I am running firmware version 2.12.

Any suggestions? I want to try a uninstall/reinstall it, but I'm a very average Joe and can't work out how to open a shell for uninstallation.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to being able to read djvu files on my iliad!
fantispug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #28
Martijn
Connoisseur

Hmmm, that's strange. On the other hand, the iLiad javadjvu is not one of the most stable pieces of software.

Could you try http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagejvu2spec.djvu ?
That one works with javadjvu on my iLiad. So if it doesn't work then something probably went wrong with the install. If it does work then there is something in your djvu files that the iliad version doesn't like (though I couldn't tell you what that is exactly).
I guess it will be the latter case, since your iLiad is at least attempting to load the djvu files.

I am still working on the viewer, but only when I have a few spare hours. I currently have a version that includes "zoom to fit" working on my iLiad. Unfortunately that one seems even more unstable, so I'm still working on it.
The new version will include an uninstaller, though.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #29
fantispug
fantispug began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I tried http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagejvu2spec.djvu, but it had the same issue - it'll look like it's loading up, leave the "selection" screen, but just redisplay the selection screen.

I'll just convert my slim sexy djvus into big bulky pdfs until you put out the new version.

Thanks!

Last edited by fantispug; 05-25-2008 at 10:19 PM.
fantispug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #30
gsm
gsm began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd ed.
Note: there is no uninstaller.
To uninstall manually:
- issue the command "ipkg remove javadjvu" in a shell
- In /mnt/settings/registry copy the registry.xml.djvu over registry.xml (assuming you have not modified the registry for other purposes after installing javadjvu).

How do I get to /mnt/settings ?
I did the first step in the shell, but how do I do the second step?
gsm is offline   Reply With Quote