Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
Kroko
Kroko began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Entourage eDGE ("full size"), $195

<><> Sold locally on 10/07 <><>

Hello everyone,

I am selling my "full size" (i.e., NOT "pocket") eDGe, aka "EE". Updated to Ermine (2.2) thanks to all the helpful posts in the Entourage eDGe forum here (Thank you, y'all!). Dark blue color.

Price is $195, firm, payable by PayPal only, and includes shipping by US Postal Service (will ship to continental US only).

I bought the eDGe to read technical/scientific journal articles in pdf format, and it has proven excellent for that purpose (albeit somewhat large and heavy). I just find that I am not using it as much as I thought I would, and have no need for yet another bit of un-used electronic gear. (esp. since I already have the "Pocket eDGe") The eDGe works fine, except for the quirks noted below.

I emphasize that this is not a device for everyone; in fact, it is NOT for most people... (that is why I am listing it here, in hopes that it will be bought by someone who has read through the EE forums and _knows what to expect_ from the device).
EE is, in my opinion, suited best for folks who _need_ a large e-ink screen. Being able to, for example, look up a journal article on the tablet side, download it, and then display it on e-ink while taking notes on the tablet really is great (and unique to this device). However, the ("full size") eDGe is large-ish, heavy, and somewehat limited on the android side; so please see the eDGe forums for the detailed description of all the limitations, quirks, and problems. You really have to have a need for a larger-than-usual e-ink screen.
Don't get me wrong: the tablet side can be surprisingly useful as well; for example, I had two separate e-mail accounts set up, including a "corporate" Microsoft exchange account with e-mail/calendar, etc., and Documents To Go is a reasonably capable supplement to MS Office (can open/edit/save word, excel, etc.), especially if you attach an external keyboard.

Condition:
I bought it on eBay less than two months ago, advertised as "New Other". That was not entirely untrue (but not really true either): judging by the sticker on the box, the unit had been used as a store demo (or was at least intended as one). The outer case (dark blue color) is covered in tiny hairline scratches (as if the device had been shuffled around on a shelf); nothing particularly bad, but definitely rules out describing the device as "new".
The screens (both screens), however, are completely scratch-free (perhaps there was not much interest in the device, while/if it was in the store?).

USB ports, SD card slot, bluetooth, WiFi, speakers, stylus, touchscreen, active digitizer (on the e-ink side) etc. all work fine. (I had a keyboard and thumb drive plugged into USB ports; an SD card in the slot, and a GPS connected via bluetooth - your mileage with other devices may vary).

Battery holds a charge - I had never used it without the power supply for more than about 3-4 hours, so I am not sure just how long it will last (but I know it should last at least 3-4 hours...)

Quirks
(if these are unfamiliar to you, then please look through the eDGe forums for detailed descriptions; these appear to be rather typical "features" of the full-size eDGes with 2.2):

1. "Green camera" - the camera is essentially useless, as it produces green-tinted pictures (search forums for details; there is no fix for this - but then again, you really should not be buying the eDGe for its camera...)

2. "Browser crashes" - the "stock browser" on this eDGe crashes frequently when Javascript is enabled (again, search the forums for details). I "solved" the problem by disabling Javascript. A better solution is to install any of the number of alternative browsers (the forum is your friend here). I must say that disabling the Javascript was of no consequence for the work I was doing, so I never had a need to install other browsers.

3. "Hibernation stuck" - I _did not_ experieence this problem (the eDGe would "wake up" just fine), but judging by the forum comments, it happens intermittently so you _might_ end up with it... who knows... (to hibernate, I would simply press the power button to bring up the power menu, then close the eDGe; to "wake up", hit the menu button). There are work-arounds listed in the forum (but I never had this problem, hence no need to try the "solutions")

Finally, a brief note to those who have a Pocket eDGe and are thinking of "upgrading": think twice. This thing is larger, heavier, and a bit less-contrasty (on the e-ink side) as compared to the Pocket eDGe.
On the other hand, if you _do_ need a large e-ink screen (because you are reading pdfs with tables, graphics, multiple columns, etc.), then the "full size" eDGe can be very useful, and remains one of the very few devices with such a large-size screen (the integration with the tablet side makes it that much more useful) - the ability to display letter-size pdf documents (without resorting to reflow or other format-killing tricks) can be truly invaluable.

I am happy to send additional pictures, answer questions, etc. The device has been wiped clean, but the OS remains updated to 2.2 (no, I will not revert it to 1.6 - you can try, at your own risk, if you wish... but I don't know why you would).

Will include the eDGe in its original box (with the stylus, of course), the original power supply and USB cable.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BoxOutside.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	77048   Click image for larger version

Name:	eDGeColor.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	77049   Click image for larger version

Name:	eDGeScratches.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	77050   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEBothScreens.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	77051   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEon.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	77052   Click image for larger version

Name:	eDGeInBox.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	77053  

Last edited by Kroko; 10-09-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Kroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS:

Please read the STICKY, which is directed toward ALL careful Members of MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Francy_1101
Francy_1101 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is still avaible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroko View Post
Hello everyone,

I am selling my "full size" (i.e., NOT "pocket") eDGe, aka "EE". Updated to Ermine (2.2) thanks to all the helpful posts in the Entourage eDGe forum here (Thank you, y'all!). Dark blue color.

Price is $195, firm, payable by PayPal only, and includes shipping by US Postal Service (will ship to continental US only).

I bought the eDGe to read technical/scientific journal articles in pdf format, and it has proven excellent for that purpose (albeit somewhat large and heavy). I just find that I am not using it as much as I thought I would, and have no need for yet another bit of un-used electronic gear. (esp. since I already have the "Pocket eDGe") The eDGe works fine, except for the quirks noted below.

I emphasize that this is not a device for everyone; in fact, it is NOT for most people... (that is why I am listing it here, in hopes that it will be bought by someone who has read through the EE forums and _knows what to expect_ from the device).
EE is, in my opinion, suited best for folks who _need_ a large e-ink screen. Being able to, for example, look up a journal article on the tablet side, download it, and then display it on e-ink while taking notes on the tablet really is great (and unique to this device). However, the ("full size") eDGe is large-ish, heavy, and somewehat limited on the android side; so please see the eDGe forums for the detailed description of all the limitations, quirks, and problems. You really have to have a need for a larger-than-usual e-ink screen.
Don't get me wrong: the tablet side can be surprisingly useful as well; for example, I had two separate e-mail accounts set up, including a "corporate" Microsoft exchange account with e-mail/calendar, etc., and Documents To Go is a reasonably capable supplement to MS Office (can open/edit/save word, excel, etc.), especially if you attach an external keyboard.

Condition:
I bought it on eBay less than two months ago, advertised as "New Other". That was not entirely untrue (but not really true either): judging by the sticker on the box, the unit had been used as a store demo (or was at least intended as one). The outer case (dark blue color) is covered in tiny hairline scratches (as if the device had been shuffled around on a shelf); nothing particularly bad, but definitely rules out describing the device as "new".
The screens (both screens), however, are completely scratch-free (perhaps there was not much interest in the device, while/if it was in the store?).

USB ports, SD card slot, bluetooth, WiFi, speakers, stylus, touchscreen, active digitizer (on the e-ink side) etc. all work fine. (I had a keyboard and thumb drive plugged into USB ports; an SD card in the slot, and a GPS connected via bluetooth - your mileage with other devices may vary).

Battery holds a charge - I had never used it without the power supply for more than about 3-4 hours, so I am not sure just how long it will last (but I know it should last at least 3-4 hours...)

Quirks
(if these are unfamiliar to you, then please look through the eDGe forums for detailed descriptions; these appear to be rather typical "features" of the full-size eDGes with 2.2):

1. "Green camera" - the camera is essentially useless, as it produces green-tinted pictures (search forums for details; there is no fix for this - but then again, you really should not be buying the eDGe for its camera...)

2. "Browser crashes" - the "stock browser" on this eDGe crashes frequently when Javascript is enabled (again, search the forums for details). I "solved" the problem by disabling Javascript. A better solution is to install any of the number of alternative browsers (the forum is your friend here). I must say that disabling the Javascript was of no consequence for the work I was doing, so I never had a need to install other browsers.

3. "Hibernation stuck" - I _did not_ experieence this problem (the eDGe would "wake up" just fine), but judging by the forum comments, it happens intermittently so you _might_ end up with it... who knows... (to hibernate, I would simply press the power button to bring up the power menu, then close the eDGe; to "wake up", hit the menu button). There are work-arounds listed in the forum (but I never had this problem, hence no need to try the "solutions")

Finally, a brief note to those who have a Pocket eDGe and are thinking of "upgrading": think twice. This thing is larger, heavier, and a bit less-contrasty (on the e-ink side) as compared to the Pocket eDGe.
On the other hand, if you _do_ need a large e-ink screen (because you are reading pdfs with tables, graphics, multiple columns, etc.), then the "full size" eDGe can be very useful, and remains one of the very few devices with such a large-size screen (the integration with the tablet side makes it that much more useful) - the ability to display letter-size pdf documents (without resorting to reflow or other format-killing tricks) can be truly invaluable.

I am happy to send additional pictures, answer questions, etc. The device has been wiped clean, but the OS remains updated to 2.2 (no, I will not revert it to 1.6 - you can try, at your own risk, if you wish... but I don't know why you would).

Will include the eDGe in its original box (with the stylus, of course), the original power supply and USB cable.

Thanks!
Hi, I'm interested on your edge. Is still avaiable or you've already sold it?
Let me know
Thanks
Francy_1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Kroko
Kroko began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Sold

I sold the edge locally on Friday.
Kroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
Francy_1101