Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

@Audra - maybe this will help ==>> How to Move a Lost, Off-Screen Window Back to Your Desktop

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That just means it is opening on a third monitor, presumably, one that was connected at some time in the past.
Agreed, but if he deletes the settings, shouldn't the default opening position then be on the primary monitor?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your phantom 3rd Monitor could just be a Different 2nd Monitor. Windows remembers the Device (id)

2 of my monitors really belong to Other systems. When I switch them over to this system, Windows (10) recognizes where they WERE placed (XP always forgot it was to the LEFT or Above)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed, but if he deletes the settings, shouldn't the default opening position then be on the primary monitor?
See post #13
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know if it's different in Qt, but in the multi-monitor setups I'm familiar with (Windows), the primary monitor is always the one with the original of the coordinate system at its upper left corner, so opening a window at coordinates (100, 100) (to pick a random example) should always result in it being visible.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #21
Audra
Enthusiast
Audra began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Then it had added a third monitor by itself, because I have only ever had two monitors. And I think it thinks I have 4 monitors, because of the number of times I have to hit the arrow key along with the windows and shift keys.
Audra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:31 AM   #22
Audra
Enthusiast

My posts are disappearing from this screen. So are other replies that I have read.
I have never had more than two monitors attached to this computer.

Also, the post from HarryT has disappeared.
"I don't know if it's different in Qt, but in the multi-monitor setups I'm familiar with (Windows), the primary monitor is always the one with the original of the coordinate system at its upper left corner, so opening a window at coordinates (100, 100) (to pick a random example) should always result in it being visible. "

I don't know what Qt is but I have windows. How do I set the window being opened at coordinates that always make it visible?
Old 09-08-2017, 02:32 AM   #23
Audra
Enthusiast

Now posts have reappeared. This is very strange.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audra View Post
I don't know what Qt is but I have windows. How do I set the window being opened at coordinates that always make it visible?
Qt is the device-independent graphical "framework" that Calibre uses to draw things.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audra View Post
<snip>

When you exit Calibre NORMALLY (ctrl-Q, AKA Quit), rather than Killing,crashing or just shutting down the computer with programs open.
Calibre saves the last location of many screens (OK/Cancel types tend to just show on the Main monitor).

Failure to save (and have it stick), may indicate something is getting the way or fighting it. A sync program that keeps putting back the 'old' version. A/V or bad User permissions, blocking changes to the configuration folder.
Hints on where to explore, may be indicated by what OTHER PROGRAMS happen to also misbehave

Temporaily have Windows (Display settings) use the other monitor as Main (and the old main, 'extend the desktop". You may need to drag the positions around: 2:1 instead of 1:2 )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #26
Audra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1 is typically the Main (with start menu)

by rearrange,
was: 1 below, 2 above
now: 1 on Left, 2 right
was: 1 landscape, 2 portrait
now: both landscape
or you change a monitor size or resolution
I am sorry, but I do not understand this at all. But I appreciate your attempt to educate me.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:16 AM   #27
Audra
Enthusiast

Quote:
How are you launching the viewer? From within calibre or as a standalone application? Presumably Qt thinks your second monitor is the main one, which is why the window shows up on that by default. I dont have any experience with multi-monitor setups so I dont know how to go about convincing it to use a different monitor as the main one.
It is not doing that. If it did that would be fine. The window does not show up on the second monitor or the first monitor either. It seems to be using a nonexistent monitor to show the window.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:19 AM   #28
Audra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

@Audra - maybe this will help ==>> How to Move a Lost, Off-Screen Window Back to Your Desktop

BR
I appreciate the thought. Clicking on cascade windows, however, causes the windows that are open on the first monitor to display on the first monitor. The second monitor shows the cascade of windows open on the second monitor. Presumably, it causes all open windows on the missing monitor to cascade on the missing monitor and I cannot see them.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #29
Audra
Enthusiast

You say see post 13
Quote:
How are you launching the viewer? From within calibre or as a standalone application? Presumably Qt thinks your second monitor is the main one, which is why the window shows up on that by default. I dont have any experience with multi-monitor setups so I dont know how to go about convincing it to use a different monitor as the main one.
But the window does not show up on any monitor. It does not show up on the second monitor by default. I would no have a problem if it did that.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #30
Audra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your phantom 3rd Monitor could just be a Different 2nd Monitor. Windows remembers the Device (id)

2 of my monitors really belong to Other systems. When I switch them over to this system, Windows (10) recognizes where they WERE placed (XP always forgot it was to the LEFT or Above)

Thank you for your attempt to help, but I do not understand anything you said. As far as I know, I have not operated any other systems. No changes of any kind were made on my computer. Just the change happened in Calibre. And not in any other programs.