Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Question Calibre: epub to azw3 generationg huge file size

Hi!

I know that discussions about Calibre and file formats and size exists here, but this is somewhat weird...

Yesterday, using Calibre 1.18 (Windows 8, 64bit), I converted an epub with 336kb and the final filesize was these:

mobi: 405kb
azw3: 3465kb

Anybody knows what happened here? Could be there something on converting parameters that I use that outputs this huge amount of data?

By the way, the book is just text, with very little pictures. I can uploaded it here if it helps (it's in public domain).

Thanks.
Regards.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamana View Post
Hi!

I know that discussions about Calibre and file formats and size exists here, but this is somewhat weird...

Yesterday, using Calibre 1.18 (Windows 8, 64bit), I converted an epub with 336kb and the final filesize was these:

mobi: 405kb
azw3: 3465kb

Anybody knows what happened here? Could be there something on converting parameters that I use that outputs this huge amount of data?

By the way, the book is just text, with very little pictures. I can uploaded it here if it helps (it's in public domain).

Thanks.
Regards.
Did you include an embedded font?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Did you include an embedded font?
Yes. I used to include Palatino on my books, and I know that they increase, but not by that factor...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes. I used to include Palatino on my books, and I know that they increase, but not by that factor...
I've seen some big file bloating when embedding fonts. It depends on the font and how many glyphs, but I've had some files go over 5mb when they were originally 500kb.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
zamana
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've seen some big file bloating when embedding fonts. It depends on the font and how many glyphs, but I've had some files go over 5mb when they were originally 500kb.
You're totally right! After removing the embedded font, the filesize dropped to 432kb!

The drawback is that now all fonts looks the same, doesn't matter which one I choose on the Kindle...

Thanks.
Regards.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
If you click the option to "subset all embedded fonts" when doing the conversion in Calibre, only the characters/glyphs that are actually used in the book are embedded. I've found that this keeps my azw3 books at a manageable size.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
You're totally right! After removing the embedded font, the filesize dropped to 432kb!

The drawback is that now all fonts looks the same, doesn't matter which one I choose on the Kindle...

Thanks.
Regards.
Explode the AZW3 file in Calibre (It's now called Unpack Book) and open the style sheet and remove all font family references.

Calibre will do this automatically if you check the fonts box under Look and Feel/Filter Style Information when converting.

The right way to remove embedded fonts is to explode the book in Calibre then delete the fonts folder. I then open the page styles sheet and remove the font references in there. I then open the Style sheet and remove all font family references. Most of the time I can skip the last step as Calibre will have done this for me if I have that fonts box checked.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-07-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calibre questions belong in the Calibre forum. Moved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Explode the AZW3 file in Calibre (It's now called Unpack Book) and open the style sheet and remove all font family references.
Just a note: In Calibre 1.18 this is option Edit Book found in pull-down menu when you right-click on a book.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
Just a note: In Calibre 1.18 this is option Edit Book found in pull-down menu when you right-click on a book.
No that brings up the new Sigil like editor. UnPack book is the former tweak book option where it actually explodes the book files. I think the only way to get to it is to add the button to one of the toolbars from what I can see.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No that brings up the new Sigil like editor. UnPack book is the former tweak book option where it actually explodes the book files. I think the only way to get to it is to add the button to one of the toolbars from what I can see.
You can also press 'U' for Unpack Book (old Tweak Book) and 'T' for Edit Book (new Tweak Book)

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
zamana
Zealot

@jswinden, @dordale, @Blossom, @EbokJunkie and @BetterRed

I learnt A LOT about Calibre with all of you!
Thank you very much! Really.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can also press 'U' for Unpack Book (old Tweak Book) and 'T' for Edit Book (new Tweak Book)

BR
I did not know that!

Tags
azw3, calibre, epub, filesize, mobi