Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
homerun360
homerun360 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & iPAD
How to sideload mobi or azw3 to iPad Kindle app?

I'm aware I can send .mobi books to my Amazon account and they will sync to the device. Can I load the books direct to my Kindle app without sending to Amazon?
homerun360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If they are in cloud storage, email attachment, or you download with a browser, you can share/export to the Kindle app. Azw3 files won’t work, just use dual format mobi.

Send to kindle is built in to the Kindle app. You can leave ‘save in Kindle cloud’ off and then it will only show up in Kindle app on that device. I think you need to be online either way.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
I'm using Kindle for iPhone version 6.33, the latest version as of today.

I don't see the "save in Kindle cloud" switch. Instead I see a switch named "Save in Kindle Library".

As a test, I send a mobi file to "Files app | iCloud Drive" from my mac via AirDrop. Then inside Files app, share that file to Kindle app. In the SEND TO KINDLE view, whether I turn on the switch "Save in Kindle Library" or not, after I tap Send, I always get the following reply:

Quote:
Success
Your document has been uploaded and will be delivered to your Kindle shortly.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Do you have dropbox. It should work to deliver the file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:28 AM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
iTunes also has an option to do that. In iTunes select the mobile device, phone or tablet, and there should be an option showing programs that allow file sharing. Select and upload file.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
iTunes also has an option to do that. In iTunes select the mobile device, phone or tablet, and there should be an option showing programs that allow file sharing. Select and upload file.
Of course, iTunes is gone in macOS Catalina (good riddance). Finder now does all of this stuff, though it’s more convenient to use AirDrop.

iTunes lives on in Windows, and probably will for awhile.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:16 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Of course, iTunes is gone in macOS Catalina (good riddance). Finder now does all of this stuff, though it’s more convenient to use AirDrop.

iTunes lives on in Windows, and probably will for awhile.
Good to know. i found this reference on how to do it in Catalina.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210598
Old 09-11-2020, 12:58 AM   #8
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
I'm using Kindle for iPhone version 6.33, the latest version as of today.

I don't see the "save in Kindle cloud" switch. Instead I see a switch named "Save in Kindle Library".

As a test, I send a mobi file to "Files app | iCloud Drive" from my mac via AirDrop. Then inside Files app, share that file to Kindle app. In the SEND TO KINDLE view, whether I turn on the switch "Save in Kindle Library" or not, after I tap Send, I always get the following reply:
With hindsight I should have made my point more explicit. I CAN get the file sent to my Kindle app. I just DON'T want to also send a copy to Amazon.

As there is only one switch named "Save in Kindle Library", I only have two choices. But whether I turn it on of off, there is always a copy sent to my Amazon cloud space. Has anyone else tried this recently and succeeded in NOT sending Amazon a copy too?
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:12 AM   #9
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
I have a similar issue. I used to use iTunes and the file sharing feature to load PDFs onto the iPad for the kindle app to read.

Then I discovered an app called File Explorer FE which allowed me to copy the PDFs directly from my NAS onto the iPad into a folder which the kindle app accessed.

But a recent update has stopped it from working. That is, I can’t find the folder. And the kindle app now only shows my ebooks.

Whilst I can use FE to view the PDFs I would like to know what happened to Kindle to stop this.

Anyone know?
Thanks
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:59 AM   #10
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
With hindsight I should have made my point more explicit. I CAN get the file sent to my Kindle app. I just DON'T want to also send a copy to Amazon.

As there is only one switch named "Save in Kindle Library", I only have two choices. But whether I turn it on of off, there is always a copy sent to my Amazon cloud space. Has anyone else tried this recently and succeeded in NOT sending Amazon a copy too?
If you have a mac, Plug your iOS device into your computer. Open a finder window, select iOS device and then files. You then just drop the file in the Kindle app. An alternate approach would be to use the calibre content server, but I haven't figured that out yet.

I tried the computer method yesterday. Works flawlessly and much simpler in Catalina than using iTunes.

Last edited by drofgnal; 09-30-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
sergio0p
sergio0p began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
If you have a mac, Plug your iOS device into your computer. Open a finder window, select iOS device and then files. You then just drop the file in the Kindle app. An alternate approach would be to use the calibre content server, but I haven't figured that out yet.

I tried the computer method yesterday. Works flawlessly and much simpler in Catalina than using iTunes.
Have you tried this with a .AZW or .MOBI file? I'm using Mojave and with the the iTunes method I'm able to upload PDFs to the Kindle app but not .AZW or .MOBI files even if they do not have any DMR. To be more precisely, I can upload the files to the Kindle app (documents folder) but when I open the Kindle, the books do not show up. I'd be considering moving to Catalina if this would solve this problem.
sergio0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:46 AM   #12
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio0p View Post
Have you tried this with a .AZW or .MOBI file? I'm using Mojave and with the the iTunes method I'm able to upload PDFs to the Kindle app but not .AZW or .MOBI files even if they do not have any DMR. To be more precisely, I can upload the files to the Kindle app (documents folder) but when I open the Kindle, the books do not show up. I'd be considering moving to Catalina if this would solve this problem.
I've done it with Mobi files, and it works fine.