Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
jvorzimmer
Enthusiast
jvorzimmer began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8"
Can't asociate epubs with Calibre after MS Edge Installed

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I'm running the latest version of Calibre on Windows 7 server and Microsoft decided to install Edge (On a Windows version they're supposedly not supporting anymore).

Now I can't open epubs in Calibre by double-clicking on the files. This is what I attempted so far.

1. First, I uninstalled Edge.
2. I had made calibre-viewer the default.

Now when I click on an epub, the viewer opens, but the file is not loaded into Calibre.

I'm sure there's a simple solution for this.

Thanks,
Jeff
jvorzimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvorzimmer View Post
Wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I'm running the latest version of Calibre on Windows 7 server and Microsoft decided to install Edge (On a Windows version they're supposedly not supporting anymore).

Now I can't open epubs in Calibre by double-clicking on the files. This is what I attempted so far.

1. First, I uninstalled Edge.
2. I had made calibre-viewer the default.

Now when I click on an epub, the viewer opens, but the file is not loaded into Calibre.

I'm sure there's a simple solution for this.

Thanks,
Jeff
I don't see what your problem is. You associated epubs with the ebook-viewer executable so they would open in that application. Opening a book in the ebook-viewer does not add it to the calibre library. If you want to double click on an epub and have it added to calibre, associate epubs with the calibre executable.

Another oddity is that the new version of Edge which is Chromium based does not have the capability to open an epub file so having it change the default application for epubs is rather strange.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-26-2020 at 03:45 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
jvorzimmer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't see what your problem is. You associated epubs with the ebook-viewer executable so they would open in that application. Opening a book in the ebook-viewer does not add it to the calibre library. If you want to double click on an epub and have it added to calibre, associate epubs with the calibre executable.
Sorry I didn't make myself clearer. Windows 7 now will not allow me to select the Calibre.exe from my \Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 folder. If you select it, nothing happens. You can associate it with the viewer or editor.

I read online somewhere that you have to associate it with the calibre-viewer, but, as I said above, that just opens the viewer without loading ebook into the library.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry I didn't make myself clearer. Windows 7 now will not allow me to select the Calibre.exe from my \Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 folder. If you select it, nothing happens. You can associate it with the viewer or editor.

I read online somewhere that you have to associate it with the calibre-viewer, but, as I said above, that just opens the viewer without loading ebook into the library.
Now that is downright weird. I assume that if you right click, open with and browse to the calibre.exe file, it does the same thing?

One possibility is that in your registry the calibre entry in HKCR\Applications is not correct. If you open regedit and look in HKCR\Applications, is there a calibre entry? If so does it have shell => open =>command under it? In command, is the default set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre.exe\" "%1" (I added the (X86) for a 32 bit program on a 64 bit system).

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\calibre]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\calibre\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\calibre\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\calibre\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Calibre2\\calibre.exe\" \"%1\""
I've attached an image of what that entry looks like on my computer. If you save the text in the code box to a .reg file (calibre_app.reg, for instance) and double click on it, it should add the needed bits to the registry for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_app_entry.png
Views:	144
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	180221  

Last edited by DNSB; 06-26-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added generating .reg file
Old 06-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

If you don't want Edge, uninstall it

Are you sure Windows Update installed it? AFAIK for Windows 8.1, 8,and 7 it has to be downloaded/installed from MS Store.

If you associate epub's with calibre.exe it will add the epub to the current library, so ebook-viewer.exe is what you want, once you get rid of Edge.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you don't want Edge, uninstall it

Are you sure Windows Update installed it? AFAIK for Windows 8.1, 8,and 7 it has to be downloaded/installed from MS Store.

If you associate epub's with calibre.exe it will add the epub to the current library, so ebook-viewer.exe is what you want, once you get rid of Edge.

BR
In the last while, I've had several people comment that Windows Update had delivered Microsoft Edge to them. I found an article about this on ZDNet a couple of days back.

As for the association with calibre, that seems to be exactly what he wants. Double click the epub and add it to your calibre library. It takes all sorts...
Old 06-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-06-27 103559.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	180225

I've been assuming the things at the top were ads, I just told DDG to get rid of the images

IMO pushing non security items to EOL'd versions is a moral breach of contract, if I was still running 7 I'd turn Windows Update off and use a 3rd party AV or none.

If it was the EdgeHTML based version - the one the handled epubs rather nicely - It might be worth having Edge on Win 7, otherwise why would anyone want the Chromium Edge, might as well have Chrome.

BR
Old 06-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Attachment 180225

I've been assuming the things at the top were ads, I just told DDG to get rid of the images

IMO pushing non security items to EOL'd versions is a moral breach of contract, if I was still running 7 I'd turn Windows Update off and use a 3rd party AV or none.

If it was the EdgeHTML based version - the one the handled epubs rather nicely - It might be worth having Edge on Win 7, otherwise why would anyone want the Chromium Edge, might as well have Chrome.
I agree to finding it rather shocking that MS is pushing Edge to Windows 7. Though it might be argued that as a replacement for IE 11, it is a security update.

On the other hand, I disagree that Chromium Edge is the same as Chrome. If nothing else, quite a few of our SaaS apps at work are much happier with Edge than Chrome these days. Google seems to have forgotten that Chrome is a web browser first and an ad delivery mechanism second. I used to use Firefox as my default browser followed by Chrome and then the old Edge. Now it's Firefox, Edge Chromium and Chrome as a final resort. Firefox gets the nod for me since it is the only one that securely stores saved passwords.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
jvorzimmer
Enthusiast

Quote:
One possibility is that in your registry the calibre entry in HKCR\Applications is not correct. If you open regedit and look in HKCR\Applications, is there a calibre entry? If so does it have shell => open =>command under it? In command, is the default set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre.exe\" "%1" (I added the (X86) for a 32 bit program on a 64 bit system).
@DNSB: Thanks for your help. At first glance everything looked good in the registry for the above entry. Then I looked closer and found that it was looking for calibre.exe in "Program Files" rather than "Program Files (x86)" folder. As soon as I fixed that, then voilà, it was listed as an option when I opened Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations > .epub

Problem solved. Thanks to all who chimed in on this.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I used to use Firefox as my default browser followed by Chrome and then the old Edge. Now it's Firefox, Edge Chromium and Chrome as a final resort. Firefox gets the nod for me since it is the only one that securely stores saved passwords.
My "why would anyone want the Chromium Edge, might as well have Chrome." was as in "why would anyone want the Curried Fish Head, might as well have a Fish Head Curry." i.e. tongue in cheek - the best part.

Yeah, I'm still stuck on Firefox too, when I want lean and mean I use Falkon, I avoid SaaS apps - most are too point and click for me.

BR
Old 06-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
@DNSB: Thanks for your help. At first glance everything looked good in the registry for the above entry. Then I looked closer and found that it was looking for calibre.exe in "Program Files" rather than "Program Files (x86)" folder. As soon as I fixed that, then voilà, it was listed as an option when I opened Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations > .epub

Problem solved. Thanks to all who chimed in on this.

Jeff
The other solution then would have been to install the 64 bit version of calibre.

Tags
calibre, defaults, edge, epub