Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #241
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone know of a nice sleeve that would hold a reader while it is in the cover? Most are poorly made in that they require the cover to be removed to be used.
Quote:
I guess based on the lack of response that there is no such thing as a decent sleeve.
You have a strange definition of "poorly made", just because it doesn't meet your specific criteria for a "decent sleeve" doesn't mean it is poorly made.

That said, I doubt you'll find a sleeve that was designed to hold an ereader in a case, maybe a sleeve designed for a Kindle Fire or some other 7 inch tablet would work?
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #242
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
You have a strange definition of "poorly made", just because it doesn't meet your specific criteria for a "decent sleeve" doesn't mean it is poorly made.

That said, I doubt you'll find a sleeve that was designed to hold an ereader in a case, maybe a sleeve designed for a Kindle Fire or some other 7 inch tablet would work?
A sleeve that fits a reader with a case would give more protection while in your bag. But would you actually take your reader with you out of the home without some sort of protection while reading?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #243
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A sleeve that fits a reader with a case would give more protection while in your bag. But would you actually take your reader with you out of the home without some sort of protection while reading?
I do it all the time. Get on a plane, take my reader out of it's sleeve and read away. That's my preference, I prefer the lightness and slimness of the basic reader. In the end I saved the $40 I would have spent on a case to protect a $100 device. At $40 that feels like a pretty expensive insurance policy to me and I'm willing to take the risk of damage. At these price levels they are approaching being disposable anyway.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #244
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do it all the time. Get on a plane, take my reader out of it's sleeve and read away. That's my preference, I prefer the lightness and slimness of the basic reader. In the end I saved the $40 I would have spent on a case to protect a $100 device. At $40 that feels like a pretty expensive insurance policy to me and I'm willing to take the risk of damage. At these price levels they are approaching being disposable anyway.
But for that $40 (roughly) you also get a light and protection and it's easier to hold.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #245
geoffwood
Addict

Quote:
But for that $40 (roughly) you also get a light and protection and it's easier to hold.
Different Strokes. To me it is just added weight. When you're on the road schlepping through airports it all adds up, so I take the Colin Chapman approach "Simplify and add lightness"
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #246
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Different Strokes. To me it is just added weight. When you're on the road schlepping through airports it all adds up, so I take the Colin Chapman approach "Simplify and add lightness"
I take the protect my reader because if I'm on vacation and it breaks, I'm screwed.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #247
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I have my brand spanking new red (!!) T1 nestled in the Oberon cover I got for the red 505 I traded in; top to bottom the fit is good but the T1 is a smidge narrower. The corner straps at the top fit fine, not as good at the bottom though so I'm gonna try and come up with some sort of strap or something to span between the bottom corner straps just about the level where it says Sony.

After I do that I'd like to try and come up with a way to adapt my beautiful old red Dooney & Bourke 505 cover I got years ago. I don't really want to use Velcro dots or similar; I don't suppose Sony sells the attachments used in the T1 cases. If I can't I'll just use it for my old blue 505 I repossessed from my Dad; I "gave" it to him when I got a good deal on the red one I just traded in. He never uses it and I can use it for the myriad old LRF's I haven't gotten around to converting to ePub.

Can't believe I now have three e-readers!

Last edited by MarciaCat; 01-21-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Adding a space between 'old' and 'red'. Oops!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #248
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
My problem is falling asleep and waking up to find my finger on the screen - and I'm dozens of pages away from the one I was reading!
This has happened to be more times than I can count!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderkilo View Post
Gorgeous. I am really tempted to get one.

Quote:
I agree. I bought the lighted case for my T1 because I really appreciate having the built in light, especially when reading in bed before I go to sleep. While I love the cover it did hurt something fierce to pay about 50% of what I paid for the reader on a cover for it. I would probably be betting off getting a nice Oberon sleeve and a portable light (or stealing my husband's light!), that way I could use them with any devices that I will get in the future as well, provided that they aren't substantially larger than the ones that I have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I have my brand spanking new red (!!) T1 nestled in the Oberon cover I got for the red 505 I traded in; top to bottom the fit is good but the T1 is a smidge narrower. The corner straps at the top fit fine, not as good at the bottom though so I'm gonna try and come up with some sort of strap or something to span between the bottom corner straps just about the level where it says Sony.

After I do that I'd like to try and come up with a way to adapt my beautiful oldred Dooney & Bourke 505 cover I got years ago. I don't really want to use Velcro dots or similar; I don't suppose Sony sells the attachments used in the T1 cases. If I can't I'll just use it for my old blue 505 I repossessed from my Dad; I "gave" it to him when I got a good deal on the red one I just traded in. He never uses it and I can use it for the myriad old LRF's I haven't gotten around to converting to ePub.

Can't believe I now have three e-readers!
I couldn't believe it either when I found myself in the same situation (with 3 readers). This is coming from a girl who didn't get a computer until she was almost done her M.A.! Now my house if full of gadgets...

I just googled the Dooney & Bourke cover - beautiful! I really hope that you can get some more use out of it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #249
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I don't suppose Sony sells the attachments used in the T1 cases.
Sony doesn't, but somebody else should!
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #250
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
just my thoughts on the case discussion.
when i first got my t1 I bought the old style navitech cover which was not specifically made for the t1 and was quite a lot bigger than the reader. my wife has the new navitech cover which is ok and is a lot smaller.
my problem was that I find I often what a light. consequently I bought a cheap clip on light. this ran on the small hearing aid batteries and didn't clip onto reader but only onto navitech case. it ran out of battery quickly and the light was not great.
so back to the drawing board and after reading various comments on here I took the plunge and paid for the sony lighted cover. I was sceptical as I felt it was overpriced.

I have now had cover for a few weeks and love it. the light is great and the fact that it uses ordinary AAA batteries makes life easier. i have not had to change battery yet. the cover is small and fits neatly into my jacket pocket(whereas navitech didn't due to bulky clasp). it feels sturdy and I quite like the feel of it. i clip the stylus over the spine and it has not fallen out yet. I don't miss a clasp and as I said above find they just bulk up the case.
so all in all I think sony has done well with this case albeit it probably should have cost £20 rather than £39
I agree with you, although yesterday I got it out of the cover and it felt so light and tiny I´m thinking about getting a silicone, a Verso light and a pouch of some kind to carry it. Whenever I´m not using the light it feels bulky, plus the fact that is all plastic makes me wish for a lighted cover like the one for the Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...7382153&sr=1-2

But, for the time being I´m out of money so it´ll have to wait!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #251
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
If I was to let go of my reader (why would I do this? have I been drinking?) it would fall... in my lap. Many of us LIKE reading nekkid. The laptop analogy works for me. When I'm on the move, it is in a case. When I'm seated and using it, it's not.
A couple of days ago i fell asleep and the reader fell out of my hands and into the marble floor. I wouldn´t risk having it without some kind of cover, either a silicone or something sturdier. Plus, I carry it in my purse and the fact that it´s stiff helps, specially if the purse is small and might get crushed somehow
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #252
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Do you have those nice plastic covers on your couch? Some protection would be good, after all couches are expensive

We all have different compromises we are willing to make between "safety", convenience, weight, etc. Personally my eReaders are naked when they are around the house. When Travelling I slip them into a sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

They show the picture of the K3 size, but mine is just the right size for my T1 or my K4 whichever i want to take.
That´s REALLY great, it doesn´t draw any attention plus it´s cheap. Color is my only objection. Thanks!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #253
susaz
Zealot

Ladies, do you carry your reader in your purse? Mine is small so it fits snuggly. I´m worried about twist, so I carry it in the Sony lighted cover, but I´ve been looking at these posh crochet knitted ones... I asked the lady if we could put cardboard to make it stiffer and she said yes... http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...al-crochet-_JM
Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #254
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
Ladies, do you carry your reader in your purse? Mine is small so it fits snuggly. I´m worried about twist, so I carry it in the Sony lighted cover, but I´ve been looking at these posh crochet knitted ones... I asked the lady if we could put cardboard to make it stiffer and she said yes... http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...al-crochet-_JM

The cardboard needs to be very thick and RIGID. If it bends at all, then your screen is vulnerable to breakage.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #255
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Anyone else have had issues with Navitech's shipping?

I would go for them, but my principles prevent me from buying stuff if delivery cost is larger than cost of product as they don't give unsinged shipping as option 8.40£ compared to 3£...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote