Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-11-2024, 09:31 AM   #31681
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Yesterday I also finished an unusually entertaining biography, American Mirror: The Life and Art of Norman Rockwell by Deborah Solomon.

I borrowed the library hardback, thinking it would have higher quality art reproductions than with eInk. It does, but the hardback color reproductions were still mediocre, often failing to show details mentioned in the text. So I googled many pictures on a PC or tablet, where they were far clearer. eInk, with tablet in hand, would have been the better choice.

EDIT: Only after posting, I read the book summary in my link above. The biography is better than the summary! Exempting when Rockwell was commissioned by an ad agency, the Boy Scouts, or the government in wartime, this was rarely true: "Here was an America whose citizens seemed to believe in equality and gladness for all."

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-11-2024 at 10:10 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:42 AM   #31682
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I've started my February prompt for the MobileReads TBR Reduction Challenge. It's very short (hence the February pick, but I think I'm going to need the extra 2 weeks to get through San Marino la storia in miniatura: la storia piccolissima.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2024, 03:15 PM   #31683
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was OK, but a weird mix of fantasy, SF and other stuff. 3/5.

Then I read One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire. The fifth October Daye novel. The series is really getting into its stride now, Great stuff. 5/5.

Next up: Undertow by Elizabeth Bear. I bought this way back in December 2008!
It was OK to poor. I wasn't really convinced by any of the characters. Nor was the science/luck connection plausible. 2/5

Next I read To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. Which was more fun than her other Oxford time-travel story! Indeed, it seemed to have been written intending to amuse, which it mostly did. I hope her obvious bit of incorrect history was deliberate. 4/5

And then there was the latest Penric&Desdemona story from Lois McMaster Bujold, Demon Daughter. Excellent, as always.

And now it's The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson. Good fun so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:49 AM   #31684
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now it's The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson. Good fun so far.
And it was great. Good stuff indeed. Makes me want to do a re-read.

Next up: The Book of Lost Tales 1 by John and Christopher Tolkien. The first in the History of Middle-Earth series. Let's see if I really do want all the rest as well!
Old 01-13-2024, 07:08 AM   #31685
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm reading some splatter novels to get my blood flowing again.

Currently reading The Doll House, a sophisticated AND humorous piece of writing by the great Edward Lee.

Recommended, especially if you're feeling somewhat....shall we say....feisty.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-13-2024 at 07:11 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2024, 08:02 AM   #31686
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm reading some splatter novels to get my blood flowing again.
I've got some splatterpunk / extreme horror on my list that I want to get to this year. Especially with all the Laymon and Ketchum that's in KU. I had a whole list of related to-reads somewhere but I got sidetracked sometime after finishing the Beast House series.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 03:28 AM   #31687
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: The Book of Lost Tales 1 by John and Christopher Tolkien. The first in the History of Middle-Earth series. Let's see if I really do want all the rest as well!
Abandoned. Interesting, but not interesting enough for me.

Next up: The Fire Engine That Disappeared by Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö. The fifth in their Martin Beck series.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:42 AM   #31688
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished Divine Rivals. Three stars because I didn't like the way it was set up for the next book. It was a solid 5 stars all the way up to the 90% mark. Deducted one star for the cliffhanger, and then got up this morning and took away another star in lingering annoyance because I just couldn't reconcile the main character's behavior at the end with everything I'd read so far.

I read a lot of series, so I'm used to the next-book foreshadowing, lead-ins with impending peril and all that, but this was one of those "half of a story" cliffhanger things and I'm just over those for the most part. I'll sometimes make exceptions but not for this book.

Now I'm starting How It Unfolds, the first story in the Amazon Originals "The Far Reaches" collection.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:50 AM   #31689
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I've got some splatterpunk / extreme horror on my list that I want to get to this year. Especially with all the Laymon and Ketchum that's in KU. I had a whole list of related to-reads somewhere but I got sidetracked sometime after finishing the Beast House series.
Get to it and let us all know the titles!

I've read almost all of Laymon's books. And Ketchum is a writer I like very much.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-16-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:28 PM   #31690
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm currently reading:

Clarissa by Samuel Richardson for a personal challenge. I thought I'd try to read it all in 2024, but I am thinking that it might stretch to fill 2025 as well. I am trying not to read more than 2 letters at a time.

Pointed Roofs by Dorothy Richardson. This is for my January book in the MobileRead Users 2024 TBR Reduction Challenge. It is also part of a personal challenge to read all of Richardson's Pilgrimage sequence this year. I went into it completely blind and am really, really enjoying it.

I'm also listening my way through the Brother Cadfael audiobooks as they have recently become available at my library.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:07 PM   #31691
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Currently about 90 pages into Cat Sebastian's The Queer Principles of Kit Webb, which has been on my TBR since March 2022. It's a Georgian-era historical queer romance with an ex-highwayman and a soon-to-be-disgraced lord who team up to rob the lord's father, and I'm finding it very enjoyable. Sebastian is a fun writer and it's nice that many recent historicals are set in something other than the Victorian or Regency eras.

Last edited by birdbrainbb; 01-16-2024 at 01:09 PM.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:44 PM   #31692
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
How did you export the images of your challenge? I'm a paid member, but don't see a share option anywhere.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:23 PM   #31693
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Get to it and let us all know the titles!

I've read almost all of Laymon's books. And Ketchum is a writer I like very much.
I will! I have read enough of both of them to know I like them very much, but I didn't fully appreciate Ketchum until I read his short story collection, Peaceable Kingdom, a couple of months ago. His novels are like walking into a room knowing that a fight is going to break out. His short stories are like being punched in the face before you've cleared the doorway. But in a good way.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:20 AM   #31694
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am trying not to read more than 2 letters at a time.
I did a double-take on this. Now I'm imagining taking all week to read a long word.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:03 AM   #31695
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
How did you export the images of your challenge? I'm a paid member, but don't see a share option anywhere.
I had to ask too, as I could not find it on the website. In the app (and only in the app it seems), after selecting 2023 stats, choose view your 2023 reading wrap up, then riught at the very bootm, you should see "share summary graphic"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote