Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-23-2023, 06:46 PM   #1
bvaring
bvaring began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
calibre-portable setup no longer prompts to "Choose a location for your book"

I had to re-setup calibre portable on my computer recently and I have not been able to successfully set my library location. At the beginning of the setup i have always been prompted "Choose a location for your books." Now the setup just automatically created "Calibre Library" in the default folder.

If I use calibre-portable.exe it creates the library in the Calibre Portable folder. If I use calibre.exe it creates the library in C:\users\name\Calibre Libray

I have tried setting library location in the tweaks but it does not work. I've tried using the --with-library command option but if I do restart it just goes back and recreates the Calibre Libray in the Calibre Portable folder. I wish there was an option to set the location in the Environment Variables.

Why does it not prompt you to set the location? I've tried over and over but I always go back to the default Calibre Library location. It is very important where my libray is save so that it will be automatically backed up.

My attachment shows what I used to get in the Welcome Wizard. I am running Calibre Portable 7.2.0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17033736169321849001118559385745.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	205384  
bvaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:48 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvaring View Post
I had to re-setup calibre portable on my computer recently and I have not been able to successfully set my library location. At the beginning of the setup i have always been prompted "Choose a location for your books." Now the setup just automatically created "Calibre Library" in the default folder.

If I use calibre-portable.exe it creates the library in the Calibre Portable folder. If I use calibre.exe it creates the library in C:\users\name\Calibre Libray

I have tried setting library location in the tweaks but it does not work. I've tried using the --with-library command option but if I do restart it just goes back and recreates the Calibre Libray in the Calibre Portable folder. I wish there was an option to set the location in the Environment Variables.

Why does it not prompt you to set the location? I've tried over and over but I always go back to the default Calibre Library location. It is very important where my libray is save so that it will be automatically backed up.
Calibre Portable was designed to be installed on portable media. As such it requires everything (software, settings and libraries) be stored in the folder in which it is installed… otherwise it wouldn't be portable.

Calibre Portable will not retain a library location outside of the install directory in its configuration folder… ..\Calibre Settings. So, every time you start calibre portable you must reset it via the Switch/create library tool. One way around this is to use MKLINK to create a symbolic link to the library in the calibre portable install folder, and have calibre portable access that.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-23-2023 at 07:53 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 09:30 PM   #3
bvaring
bvaring began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I gave another yet another try and all of a sudden it prompted me for the library location in the setup wizard at the beginning. I tried several times before and did not work. I'm happy.
bvaring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library folder