Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #16
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
k2pdfopt is supposed to help with some of these things, but I can't find any clear instructions on how to install the Mac versions.

I don't know if it allows minimal batch conversions, to address the "this pdf cannot be opened due to embedded features not yet supported on Kindle" and "some elements on this page could not be displayed" bugs.

I know the former appears in certain pdfs with security: password encrypted, but not all with security: password encrypted. It's quite unpredictable. My pdf tools sometimes fix this, sometimes don't.

I know the latter appears in some scanned pdfs, removing everything and leaving only blank pages, and some other pdfs, removing images. I guess in the last case it's more of a nuisance than a document-breaker.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #17
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried converting the pdfs to PDF/A-1a, but the Kindle still dropped the images. I tried converting to azw3, but got a mess. There might be some way to repair this, removing line breaks and other stuff.

Any idea how to make reliably Kindle-readable pdfs?

I don't know if exporting to an older standard will do any good.
Advert
Old 01-25-2017, 01:49 AM   #18
MarjaE
Guru

I think I found a solution with PDFOptim Lite. It's just the demo version, but it has an alternative to the standard quartz filters for the Mac.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:55 PM   #19
MarjaE
Guru

Having a harder time find a solution with PDFGenius, which otherwise seems to include all the tools from PdfOptim Lite, and others, and way too much animation.

I know I need to reformat everything in Quartz at some point, expanding everything. I think I may need to strip links.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
MarjaE
Guru

I get decent results by using PDFGenius (although the animation in some functions triggers my migraines), using image compression, resetting security to "none," and *not* removing links.

I can get better results on some pictures using Quartz compression, but not on text or on complex docs.

Given the limitations of the Kindle Dx, 72 PPI is usually enough, though 144 PPI or more is better for detailed maps.

In the past, I've lost text layers by using Quartz compression, although Apple has changed the filters to try to avoid this.
Advert

Tags
kindle dx, mac computer, os x, pdf