Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #361
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
No, I am not using a Micro SD card. I am using side loaded epubs.
Strange. When I first upgraded to 1.9.16, My Kobo was unresponsive and somehow laggy. I then did factory reset and new upgrade, and everything has been quick and snappy since then.

No sd card, almost all books are sideloaded.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #362
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
Strange. When I first upgraded to 1.9.16, My Kobo was unresponsive and somehow laggy. I then did factory reset and new upgrade, and everything has been quick and snappy since then.

No sd card, almost all books are sideloaded.
So it would seem this version works best starting off a fresh database...
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #363
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
So it would seem this version works best starting off a fresh database...
My Touch was purchased new one month ago (late December). It upgraded straight to 1.9.16 out of the box. So I assume it had a fresh database. I had problems. I did the factory reset, so it should have had a fresh database (again). I'm still having problems (dead taps, menus not responding).

GoingDown, could you try this:

1) Open a side loaded ePub with a table of contents
2) bring up the table of contents
3) dismiss the table of contents
4) repeat steps 2 and 3 ten times

Does the table of contents come up every time? I just tried this, and the first time the TOC showed in about 5 seconds. The second and third time I counted to 20, and the table of contents did not display; once I touched the screen it displayed.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #364
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
GoingDown, could you try this:

1) Open a side loaded ePub with a table of contents
2) bring up the table of contents
3) dismiss the table of contents
4) repeat steps 2 and 3 ten times

Does the table of contents come up every time? I just tried this, and the first time the TOC showed in about 5 seconds. The second and third time I counted to 20, and the table of contents did not display; once I touched the screen it displayed.
Finally, I found out one sideloade book with table of contents (actually, I loaded book "The name of the Wind" from kobo website as epub). Oh, and you are right. After few tries, table of contents doesn't display until I touch the screen extra time.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #365
register512
Kobo Touch User
register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

When will the SD card bugs be fixed? This release is useless with an SD card inserted, at least if the card is of a modern design (in my case a Patriot Class 10 16 GB micro-SDHC).
register512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #366
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
I sympathize with those who have problems, but I think an outsider might get the impression that the problems mentioned are universal. They are not.
They ARE!
I made the mistake to recommend KT to many people. They now come with their problems to me to help them or better: ask for help, cause I cannot give it.
ALL my friends who bought KT (14 people) have massive problems with SD cards!
ALL have problems with extremely bad responses in all data base operations (Find, open, close books)
NONE of them is content with the new software (xx16) cause of the massive advertising).
MOST of them cannot side load big PDFs.
I have replaced my own and my wifes KT by Sony PRS-T1 devices and we are very pleased with this decision.
Maybe I will give KT a new (but just a SINGLE) try after a firmware update.
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #367
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I must be the odd one out because I have no problem with my SD card. :/
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #368
Gaffer
Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfax View Post
They ARE!
I made the mistake to recommend KT to many people. They now come with their problems to me to help them or better: ask for help, cause I cannot give it.
ALL my friends who bought KT (14 people) have massive problems with SD cards!
ALL have problems with extremely bad responses in all data base operations (Find, open, close books)
NONE of them is content with the new software (xx16) cause of the massive advertising).
MOST of them cannot side load big PDFs.
I have replaced my own and my wifes KT by Sony PRS-T1 devices and we are very pleased with this decision.
Maybe I will give KT a new (but just a SINGLE) try after a firmware update.
14 friends with Kobo Touches? Your recommendations must carry a great deal of weight. I'm trying to imagine how many your friends might have bought if anyone had received one that functioned properly.
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #369
red_elk
red_elk began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_elk View Post
Switched back to 1.9.9, through reset to factory default.
- Page turning and menu displaying about twice faster
- Tapping "home" now bookmarks page correctly (didn't work properly on my device with 1.9.16)
- No "double page turning" bug so far
- No advertising on home screen

Something is very wrong with a few latest FW releases
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
If you immediately upgrade to 1.9.16 after reset to factory defaults, you should not have listed bugs 1, 2 and 3. Advertising is still there though.
May be it will be helpful for other people - I finally managed to get almost good configuration.
Had to do fresh upgrade twice - after first time there were lots of dead taps.
Still have double page turning issues, but not too often (1/20 cases or so), I can live with it.
red_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #370
TLB2
TLB2 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I think that many of the problems posted here are actually a hardware problem vs 1.9.16 firmware issues.

Why: I bought my first kobo touch 3 days ago and experienced many of the problems posted here. Tapping pages was intermittent, perhaps 70% successful, sometimes a complete lock-up; paging through the page numbers at the bottom of menus such as "books" or "shortlist" was virtually impossible as were attempts to tap the heart symbol to select a book to the shortlist. I tried the recommended action to factory reset and reloaded the .16 firmware twice but to no avail.

Today, after experiencing an incredibly frustrating exercise trying to tap pages in a book I am attempting to e-read, I had enough and packed it up and returned it to Chapters, demanding a replacement (which they did, courteously in no time at all).

The new unit is now performing almost flawlessly, thus my conclusion that my initial problems were in fact a hardware problem.

For what is is worth ...

Last edited by TLB2; 02-07-2012 at 08:19 PM.
TLB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #371
readingwonder
Enthusiast
readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
From my careful reading of this entire thread, I wouldn't say it's a hardware issue per se. What I mean by that is, it sounds like some units have more problems with the .16 firmware than other units, so it would appear hardware or different units can play a role.

However, many of those that are experiencing problems with .16 and have rolled back to .9 no longer experience those same problems. If it was purely a hardware issue, they should be having the problems across the board, but an older firmware seems to remove the issues for them.

Working as a developer, from everything I've read here, it sounds like while differences between units might play some role in all of it, there are still issues with the .16 firmware. Especially database issues, considering those with a larger library seem to be having more problems than those with a smaller library.

Perhaps the test units the Kobo developers are testing their code on simply aren't responding the way a lot of customer's units are, which explains why the flaky code gets pushed out to begin with. I would hate to think it was because their developers were under-experienced or worse, simply ignoring the issues.
readingwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #372
TLB2
TLB2 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Good points readingwonder. Clearly, a lot of folks here have experienced a negative change going to .16

On the other hand, when I did the factory reset on my first unit, I tried out the original firmware (.13, I believe) before I upgraded to .16 and experienced many of the same problems as the .16 version.

Perhaps a hardware AND firmware problem ? Weird or what ...

Last edited by TLB2; 02-07-2012 at 08:43 PM.
TLB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #373
readingwonder
Enthusiast
readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readingwonder has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I agree, it is strange.

I did have one experience with the Kobo developers in the past, in regards to the Kobo Wifi. Basically I said, "Here's an issue. When you press this button in this way, this happens. This is what causes it. And this is how it can be fixed." Their response was, "Make sure you follow the instructions when using your unit." Nevermind that there weren't actually any instructions regarding the issue at all. Then they proceeded to ignore the issue entirely.

I love my Kobo Wifi, and most of my ebooks I buy from Kobo. I want to see Kobo succeed. But I don't have a lot of faith in their developers.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #374
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingwonder View Post
I agree, it is strange.

I did have one experience with the Kobo developers in the past, in regards to the Kobo Wifi. Basically I said, "Here's an issue. When you press this button in this way, this happens. This is what causes it. And this is how it can be fixed." Their response was, "Make sure you follow the instructions when using your unit." Nevermind that there weren't actually any instructions regarding the issue at all. Then they proceeded to ignore the issue entirely.

I love my Kobo Wifi, and most of my ebooks I buy from Kobo. I want to see Kobo succeed. But I don't have a lot of faith in their developers.
Are you sure that you heard directly from a developer as opposed to 2nd or 3rd level support?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #375
readingwonder
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are you sure that you heard directly from a developer as opposed to 2nd or 3rd level support?
I went up their support chain to their top tier customer support, who then connected me to their developers.

Though to be fair, regardless of what level of customer support someone reaches, if a customer says, "Hey, there's a problem here, and here's how to fix it," they should say, "Great! I'll let the developers know," or something along those lines, rather than giving a nonsensical answer and ignoring it.

Last edited by readingwonder; 02-07-2012 at 10:05 PM.