Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #16
marsec
marsec began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thank you for having a look, I appreciate it.

This happened when I updated the kernel/ qt / others, the video drivers were not updated... although I understand that on an old video card (it's an ati radeon E350 system) some deprecation might have weird side-effects.

Is it possible that there is a mismatch of api/code interface between the calibre provided qt libs /opt/calibre/lib/libQt5* and the system ones in /usr/lib64/qt5/* or something like that?
marsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not unless your distro is patching Qt. calibre uses unpatched Qt from upstream.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 AM   #18
catermune
catermune began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am seeing the same crash with Calibre on Mageia Linux. The crash only occurs with Calibre 4.10.0 and 4.10.1, if I revert to Calibre 4.9.1 everything works as expected.

I am using an nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and have tried both the nVidia and nouveau drivers.

$ calibre
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
malloc(): invalid size (unsorted)
Aborted (core dumped)
catermune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #19
marsec
marsec began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I tried reverting to the previous kernel, no luck. The error message changed to something like cannot load xcb plugin although found which indicates in my opinion some api mismatch or patching as you suggested. At this point, I think the problem is more with the Mageia packages since the last update and I'll submit a bug report there as well.

As a workaraound, I'm happy with 4.9.1 for the time being and I am almost sure that after a cycle or two of updates the mismatch will solve itself and things will automagically start working again.

Thank you all, over and out.
marsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #20
texstar
texstar began at the beginning.

Device: none
I downloaded and extracted in my home folder calibre-4.11.0-x86_64.txz
Tried to run calibre and got malloc(): invalid size (unsorted). Aborted.

The last working version is 4.9.1. What was changed to cause this breakage?

Texstar
PCLinuxOS 2020
texstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #21
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Several Kindle 3 KB's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
cool glad its working
Sorry, I am back ;-3(

I ordered a more recent graphic card, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series] eccording to lspci.
The os installed the ATI Radeon HD 5000 to HD 6300 (radeon/fglrx) driver.
I first tested the new X config by launching from the console a number of programmes that had recently stopped working, and complained about GLX (Mousepad, Pinball, Pipewalker, Gpicview); they now start without problem or rude messages.
Tried calibre & from the CLI, and got again the splash screen, followed by:
malloc(): invalid size (unsorted)

I attach the backtrace file, which I had to rename to .txt as the forum does not accept .log ;-3)
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre-backtrace.txt (10.1 KB, 156 views)
rolgiati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the same backtrace as before.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:56 AM   #23
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
That's the same backtrace as before.
Sorry, no, it is a new one, produced after changing the GPU from Nvidia to Radeon as a quick diff between the two will show you..
Old 02-28-2020, 04:19 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In the sense, that the problematic malloc is still happening inside libGL, from the driver, which is in turn called by the Qt code to initialize the frame buffer context.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #25
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
In the sense, that the problematic malloc is still happening inside libGL, from the driver, which is in turn called by the Qt code to initialize the frame buffer context.
OK Thank you, I understand better.

So what would be a solution ?
Try yet another video card and driver ?
Ask for GPU advice on the forum ?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'd guess updating/changing your linux distro would take care of it. Or wait for your distro to make calibre 4.x available.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #27
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
I'd guess updating/changing your linux distro would take care of it. Or wait for your distro to make calibre 4.x available.
I was trying to run Calibre 4.11.2 which I got from https://download.calibre-ebook.com/l

Saw that my distro (PCLinuxOS) offers me Calibre 4.9.1.

So ran /usr/bin/calibre-uninstall as root, than installed 4.9.1 from my distro.

And that worked; it is a kludge since I dont have the latest version, but at least I can access my books !

Thank you for our patience, I am now waiting for a DisplayPort2VGA adapter to try yet another GPU, and will keep you informed.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #28
rolgiati
Groupie

My kludge for getting access to my books:

- Run /usr/bin/calibre-uninstall to remove the lates version of Calibre O got from https://download.calibre-ebook.com (4.11.2)
- Install the version offered by my distro (4.9.1)

Fearing the uninstall would loose my configuration, I had made a copy of ~/.config/calibre but it proved to be unnecessary, the configuration was not removed and the new install used it without problem.
Take care, your mileage may vary ;-3)
Old 03-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #29
rolgiati
Groupie

Update:
My distro has updated Mesa to the 20.0.0 version, and Calibre 4.11.2 now load and runs without complaining.

So I"m uninstalling 4.9 ;-3)

Thank you for your kind and patient help.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

cool, glad its sorted.