Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2015, 04:52 AM   #61
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
No matter how I try, I still just don't get it. I write when I can. When I can't , I think about writing. I've never been able to work out what November has to do with anything, or why I should care.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:51 AM   #62
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
the-premise-is-the-thing I wrote this this past week for over at FullStop as an article about getting ready for NaNoWriMo. Normally I'd post it over in the Self-Promotion but as it deals with NaNo I asked if I could post it here. Hope it helps someone here in getting their project ready.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2015, 03:22 AM   #63
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
No matter how I try, I still just don't get it. I write when I can. When I can't , I think about writing. I've never been able to work out what November has to do with anything, or why I should care.
It's a shared experience, which made it fun for me when I did it in 2012. The forums for your local group are a big part of it, as you develop a certain camaraderie with the others near you.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:55 AM   #64
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I joined a facebook writing group not long ago and a number of us are planning to take part in NaNoWriMo. I started up a small facebook group so we wouldn't jam the main writing group board with our posts.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #65
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
the-premise-is-the-thing I wrote this this past week for over at FullStop as an article about getting ready for NaNoWriMo. Normally I'd post it over in the Self-Promotion but as it deals with NaNo I asked if I could post it here. Hope it helps someone here in getting their project ready.

This is a very helpful article for anyone interested in getting started on NaNoWriMo.

Thank you for contributing your thoughts on this.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #66
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It's a shared experience, which made it fun for me when I did it in 2012. The forums for your local group are a big part of it, as you develop a certain camaraderie with the others near you.

Graham
Thanks, that would explain some of it. ... Though I am reminded of a line from the movie "Gross Point Blanke": The main character (played by John Cusack) is a professional hit-man, and another hit-man (Dan Aykroyd) is trying to get him to join a cooperative, so Cusack says something like: "I didn't get into this business to have relationships. Loner. Lone gunmen, get it? That's the whole point. Look at the way I dress."
Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #67
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is a very helpful article for anyone interested in getting started on NaNoWriMo.

Thank you for contributing your thoughts on this.

You're welcome Dr.Drib. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #68
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I think just knowing that other people are attempting to write a crap-load at the same time as one's self can act as a motivator. But I personally wouldn't bother sticking to the rules. I'd use it how I want as a motivator. I did it properly twice and wrote a lot of crap.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #69
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #70
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I'm not doing it this year. Crich, looks like you're the MR representative!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:58 PM   #71
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I've always been more attuned to short stories, but I have been thinking about it.

If nothing else, it might kick a few ideas loose.
Okay, it's about 15 minutes until November and I've decided that I'm not going to be a registered participant in NaNoWriMo, but I am going to be a "shadow" participant.

I don't believe there's any chance that I can come up with a 50,000 word novel in a month. My longest story so far comes in under 8000 words, and it took me two years from first concept to finished product. To be honest, I wasn't dedicating all of my efforts to this single work -- I never do -- but that's still a lot of time for developing a concept, organizing my thoughts, writing, rewriting, etc.

For November I plan to pursue a single idea and develop a single story. It won't be 50,000 words, and will almost certainly be a rough draft in need of significant polishing, but I will try to have a longer story written by the end of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post

Every year I pass on Nano because Life. Too busy, not enough time, small kids need me. List goes on and on.

Yes. As it turns out, this November will probably be the busiest month of the year so far for me. Family matters have suddenly become much more complicated and the (US) Thanksgiving weekend will eat up a large chunk of time. This was another reason I decided against formally participating.

But, I have an idea that I think deserves (and can sustain) a longer short story. I'll see what happens if I concentrate on it for a month.

And, good luck, crich70!!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:33 AM   #72
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm with you Crich.

Something woke me up at 4.30am so I thought I might as well get started, and I'm 600 words in before breakfast.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-01-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #73
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
How's it going, Crich?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:30 AM   #74
Graham
Wizard

I'm hanging in there. My word count's at 15,385. Just about to start the final chapter of Act One.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-09-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #75
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I'm hanging in there. My word count's at 15,385. Just about to start the final chapter of Act One.

Graham
Ah yes, but do you like what you're writing? ... or maybe there hasn't been any time to read it.

Tags
nanowrimo, participation, preparation, prompts, writing