Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
ALinkToTao
ALinkToTao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Rooted Nook Simple Touch or rooted Onyx C67ML or Kobo Aura One with kreader?

I want an ereader that I can get cheap parts for and repair if it breaks. I also want one I can customize. I am tech savvy and have rooted many devices to the great improvement of their use. I am torn between these three readers.

1. I like the nook simple touch because it is cheap and has great root support and even custom ROMs. But I'm not sure how smooth it is for reading pdfs. Anyone have a rooted NST and use it for pdf? I saw a guy on youtube playing all kinds of tablet games with fastrefresh on it which was way cool.

2. I like the Onyx C67ML because it has a better screen, better processor, and more RAM than the NST and has a headphone jack and supports TTS. However, I heard through many reviews that the android OS on this device is very choppy and unresponsive. Anyone have experience with this?

3. While I love fiddling with devices, I don't always want to have my nose in it trying to customize every single little thing. The function thing I want is good pdf reading. But to me a con with this device is it is expensive and parts are unavailable or expensive if repair is needed. Also it is waterproof which makes repair even more challenging. Anyone hear of a teardown for this online that shows the innards of this thing? Or anyone repair one themselves?

I typed this on an outdated (2012) android smartphone that I love and have rooted and customized to oblivion. I can take it completely apart and put it back together and have it work when I turn it on again. I have broken and fixed it close to a dozen times. And I know all the parts in it.

This is the kind of relationship I'd like to form with my ereader. I just want to make sure I can use the thing for what I want.
ALinkToTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
ALinkToTao

Still haven't decided but leaning towards a rooted nook simple touch. Does anyone have any input on this device?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I had one, and it was quite a nice little device. It's also cheaper than the Onyx, so if something is messed up it's not as expensive to recover.

I don't know how easy it is to repair, I never tried that.

Have you asked over on xda developers? They had an active Nook forum and lots of developers. They would know more about repair potential.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
ALinkToTao

Yes and thank you.

I have been scouring the xda forums. There is a ton of good information on it. Also, they have all the legacy app files for in repository.

I also found this about repair:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nook...+Teardown/9301

It looks very easy-easier than my smartphone which is pretty darn easy.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
ALinkToTao

I found some replacement parts for the nook simple touch with glowlight.

I also found this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=214029

For anyone who wants to know, here is where to buy the screen on eBay:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/6-ED060SCE-E-...-/272808916809

Per the above thread, the serial for the screen replacement for the nook simple touch glowlight is ED060SCE
Old 12-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
ALinkToTao

I will consult the I ching and if I get a favorable reading, this will be my first ereader. Thank you all for your help.