Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
But it was the selection last August. Shouldn't that rule it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, that does disqualify it. So it needs to be removed from the 2nd post.
Opps! I was thinking "nomination"! You and Issybird are right, of course, and I'll fix it now.

sufue, you have that vote back.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-22-2017 at 06:12 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Opps! I was thinking "nomination"! You and Issybird are right, of course, and I'll fix it now.

My fault; I should have said selection.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #33
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I nominate the first Mr. Moto story, Your Turn, Mr. Moto (aka No Hero) by John P. Marquand.

Amazon - $7.99
https://www.amazon.com/Your-Turn-Mr-...dp/B010N0057O/

Kobo - $8.69
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/your-turn-mr-moto

B&N Nook - $9.49
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/you...and/1000150561

or three for $13.99
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...and/1123906456
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #34
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Well, darn! I don't read all that many thriller-ish/suspence-ish/crime-ish, as opposed to mystery-ish books, so will have to think hard. I wonder what else I remember reading under the covers with a flashlight....

Also, given my previous problem, is there a list somewhere of books that have already been "done"?

EDIT: Never mind - just found the list....

Quote:

Last edited by sufue; 07-22-2017 at 11:04 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #35
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I'll second "Your turn Mr. Moto"
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #36
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I've come up with another one, and checked the overall list of selections, and also nominations in the last six months - in any month that seemed as if it might be applicable. And this title seems clean...

So here goes:

Alistair MacLean was another of my favorite "flashlight-under-the-covers" thriller authors, and probably one of his most famous books is his first, The Guns of Navarone. What's more, it's quite nicely priced at Kindle UK right now, and not too bad at Kindle US either. And, IMO, it's also among his best, so that's my replacement nomination.

Kindle US, $5.99: https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Navarone...dp/B0047T6W3Y/
Kindle UK, £0.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guns-Navaro...dp/B0047T6W3Y/

Quote:
The classic World War II thriller from the acclaimed master of action and suspense. Now issued for the first time as an e-book.

Twelve hundred British soldiers isolated on the small island of Kheros off the Turkish coast, waiting to die. Twelve hundred lives in jeopardy, lives that could be saved if only the guns could be silenced. The guns of Navarone, vigilant, savage and catastrophically accurate. Navarone itself, grim bastion of narrow straits manned by a mixed garrison of Germans and Italians, an apparently impregnable iron fortress. To Captain Keith Mallory, skilled saboteur, trained mountaineer, fell the task of leading the small party detailed to scale the vast, impossible precipice of Navarone and to blow up the guns. The Guns of Navarone is the story of that mission, the tale of a calculated risk taken in the time of war…
Old 07-23-2017, 05:36 AM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll second The Guns of Navarone.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think someone should nominate a book that's a crime that it's been written.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll third The Guns of Navarone.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'll third Your Turn, Mr. Moto. While the idea of a white man (Peter Lorre) playing a Japanese role in the movies is not something most people are comfortable with today, the basic idea of an oriental detective in a society where orientals at the time were not given their due respect was probably considered very forward thinking when the books on which the movies were based were written.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #41
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

And IIRC (it has been a very long time since I've read any of them) there's some pretty interesting political/world affairs background in the series too...

Quote:
I'll third Your Turn, Mr. Moto. While the idea of a white man (Peter Lorre) playing a Japanese role in the movies is not something most people are comfortable with today, the basic idea of an oriental detective in a society where orientals at the time were not given their due respect was probably considered very forward thinking when the books on which the movies were based were written.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #42
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Okay, here are two - take your pick - but I'm not wasting my last remaining vote on either...

Political Murder and Dot Com Murder are both horribly written/produced continuations in the John Thatcher series by Emma Lathen, so I think it's fair to say that it's a crime either of these was written. The premise (continuing with John's daughter, Elizabeth, as the protagonist) is sort of cute, but I only made it through about three or four pages of one of them that I KU'd to try out, and then just glanced at the sample of the other, which was just as bad.

These are sort of part-and-parcel of the "Deaver Brown/Simply Media" incredibly badly produced ebook publication of the excellent original John Thatcher titles, discussed on MR starting both here and here. (I'm still relying on my PDFs of my old aged-brown paperbacks, which gives a clue as to how badly produced these are...)

Anyway, up to someone else to waste a vote on one of these if they wish , but I do think either meets your request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think someone should nominate a book that's a crime that it's been written.

Last edited by sufue; 07-23-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #43
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I third Vanishing Act.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since we need more books with three nods, it's time to give Playing with Fire and Stillhouse Lake nods instead of trying to come up with new nominations.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #45
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I second Playing With Fire.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote