Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
IOS 11.2 released early this morning

I have updated my iPad and iPhone

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/02...ases-ios-11-2/
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Did you remember to wear safety glasses and steel-toe shoes before clicking the update button?
I still get nervous when installing an update!

Anything good or bad that you've noticed aleady on your devices?
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have beta tested Windows and Linux for so long that Apple OSs are a piece of cake
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Hah, updated after seeing this notice. thx
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:21 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have beta tested Windows and Linux for so long that Apple OSs are a piece of cake
If you aren't living on the bleeding edge, you're not living.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Haven't posted in ages, but wanted to bring something up with iOS 11.2 if you haven't already updated.

I updated my iPhone X to 11.2 and I can no longer Airdrop books and use the "Open in" feature to open them in my epub reader of choice. It forces opening in iBooks only. The only way I can open epub in Marvin (the reader I use) is to upload the book to Box, and then use the "Open in" feature.

If you don't use iBooks for your epub reading, beware of the 11.2 update. I'm holding out updating my iPad Pro so I can still Airdrop -> Open in. Keeping that one on 11.1.2 for now, I guess.

It does allow you to Airdrop a PDF and choose "Open in" but now all epub books are defaulted to iBooks and it doesn't look like you can change it. Not super cool of Apple.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
Haven't posted in ages, but wanted to bring something up with iOS 11.2 if you haven't already updated.

I updated my iPhone X to 11.2 and I can no longer Airdrop books and use the "Open in" feature to open them in my epub reader of choice. It forces opening in iBooks only. The only way I can open epub in Marvin (the reader I use) is to upload the book to Box, and then use the "Open in" feature.

If you don't use iBooks for your epub reading, beware of the 11.2 update. I'm holding out updating my iPad Pro so I can still Airdrop -> Open in. Keeping that one on 11.1.2 for now, I guess.

It does allow you to Airdrop a PDF and choose "Open in" but now all epub books are defaulted to iBooks and it doesn't look like you can change it. Not super cool of Apple.
Hum, that might be an airdrop specific issue. I have 11.2 and using CC can still do an open with on an epub book and get Marvin. I can't say that I've ever used airdrop for ebooks though. I take it that's how you get ebooks from your mac to your iPhone?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

It is as you say. Fortunately it is nearly always iBooks that I want to use. But it is a regression, for sure.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
jkingrph
jkingrph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
11.2.1 now
jkingrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Hey! Just wanted to mention that iOS 11.2.5 released today and after being disappointed testing every dot release... this one actually fixes the epub "Open in..." issue!

Wasn't expecting it, updated to 11.2.5 just now (since my iPhone X had the 11.2 on it anyway when Airdrop / epubs broke). Did my usual test of Airdrop epub --> iPhone and finally the "Open in" dialog popped up again instead of just default opening in iBooks!

SO glad this is back - I reported the "forced opening in iBooks" as a bug back with 11.2 but it wasn't fixed with all of the dot releases I've tried until today's 11.2.5. I use Marvin as my iOS ebook reader because of the features and that I can share/Airdrop epubs to my iPads/iPhone, etc.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 AM   #11
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Hey! Just wanted to mention that iOS 11.2.5 released today and after being disappointed testing every dot release... this one actually fixes the epub "Open in..." issue!

Wasn't expecting it, updated to 11.2.5 just now (since my iPhone X had the 11.2 on it anyway when Airdrop / epubs broke). Did my usual test of Airdrop epub --> iPhone and finally the "Open in" dialog popped up again instead of just default opening in iBooks!

SO glad this is back - I reported the "forced opening in iBooks" as a bug back with 11.2 but it wasn't fixed with all of the dot releases I've tried until today's 11.2.5. I use Marvin as my iOS ebook reader because of the features and that I can share/Airdrop epubs to my iPads/iPhone, etc.
I'm glad that AirDrop in iOS 11.2.5 finally corrects Apple's demeaning approach to give preferential treatment to iBooks to the exclusion of all other apps, when the transfer file type is EPUB. By the way, you can "airdrop" EPUB files to most (if not all) EPUB reading apps, including but not limited to Marvin.

Last edited by cedhax; 01-24-2018 at 12:37 AM.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote