Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #76
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'd like to add some of my favourite series:

Dune by Frank Herbert. Need I clarify?
[...]
I thought Dune was the example of a series where one should stop reading after book 1. ;-)
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #77
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
I thought Dune was the example of a series where one should stop reading after book 1. ;-)
OH, absolutely not! You should read them through Chapterhouse. Chapterhouse, to me, is the most nuanced and deep of all of them. (If one reads Dune as strictly Hero's Journey/action-adventure, then, yes, stopping after 1 might be an idea.)

AFTER that, though...no. the Kevin whatsisface and son books are just...not Dune. They might be something else and might be fine for that something else (like Star Wars spinoffs), but Dune, they ain't.

Just my $.02.
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:40 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
OH, absolutely not! You should read them through Chapterhouse. Chapterhouse, to me, is the most nuanced and deep of all of them. (If one reads Dune as strictly Hero's Journey/action-adventure, then, yes, stopping after 1 might be an idea.)

AFTER that, though...no. the Kevin whatsisface and son books are just...not Dune. They might be something else and might be fine for that something else (like Star Wars spinoffs), but Dune, they ain't.

Just my $.02.
Hitch
Brian Herbert (son of Mr. Dune) and Kevin J. Anderson
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #79
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
May I direct everyones attention towards the (imho) fabulous, timeless and classic Quiller series, 19 books by Adam Hall. First person, almost stream of consciousness narrative of a cold war clandestine operative, written in beautiful prose with tons of suspense.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #80
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
That's one of the reasons I didn't mention Andrew Vachss. Brilliant stuff, but binge-read it? Noooooooooo.
Vachss is great, but I'm not into his series stuff. Shella and That's the Way I Roll are brilliant depictions of abnormal assassins.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:54 PM   #81
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Michael Atamanov's The Game that Bends Reality is an addictive space opera series. The stories really move fast. Very addictive. Don't let the crappy covers fool you.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote