Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Bookeen announces two new ebook readers

As reported by The Digital Reader, Bookeen have announced two new ebook readers:

* Muse Light: 166pi (600x800) Carta screen with frontlight, 4GB, microSD and wifi for €89.90
* Muse HD: 300ppi (1072x1448) Carta screen with frontlight, 8GB, microSD and wifi for €129.90

See also the Bookeen blog announcement

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-18-2016 at 03:56 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
* Muse HD: 300ppi (1072x1448) Carta screen with frontlight, 8GB, microSD and wifi for €129.90
Overall dimensions are 116 x 155 x 8 mm.
Screen size is roughly 90 x 120 mm

Seems to me to bit a bit too small for comfortable reading.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Standard 6" screen size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Same screen as used on the Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW3, Kindle Voyage, & Kindle Oasis.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I wish they were offered in the US. A lower cost device with carta and lighting seems like a good idea.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No reason you can't buy one if you want one. I've owned a few Bookeen readers over the years, all bought direct from their online store.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No reason you can't buy one if you want one. I've owned a few Bookeen readers over the years, all bought direct from their online store.
They don't ship to the US anymore from what I'm seeing in the store checkout.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They don't ship to the US anymore from what I'm seeing in the store checkout.
Thanks. Seems a rather odd restriction.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks. Seems a rather odd restriction.
Back before I decided on the H2O, I was looking at Bookeen and there was no way I could get one sent to the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
The support page says they ship to 'most countries worldwide' and you can send them an email if your country is not on the pulldown list.

Haven't tried it, though.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
How is Bokeen support nowadays? I don't know if support has improved, but in the beginning of 2008, it was atrocious. In 2007, I bought the Gen3, and needed assistance in the beginning of 2008.

I had the reader connected to my computer, and wanted to format a flash card (or USB-stick; I don't remember). Accidentally, I formatted the internal memory of the e-reader, which had the firmware installed there as well as the books. The thing wouldn't boot anymore, obviously.

I've mailed Bokeen several times, on several e-mail addresses, and never, ever got a response. The store just referred me with "We don't know how to fix this" back to Bokeen.

It's actually the reason for registering at Mobileread. After receiving a zip-file with the firmware from one of the members here, I recovered the reader, and then sold it ASAP. (edit: including the zip-file and the instructions on how to recover if need be.)

Because there actually weren't any books available that I wanted to read, and because of the bad support, I waited until the end of 2011 (when the KTouch was released) to get back into e-reading. At that time, the 2010 e-book boom had happened, and Calibre had matured a lot, and I never looked back since.

Because of this experience, I would be hesitant to order another Bokeen reader... and also because of the fact that they are sold almost nowhere in the Netherlands.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-20-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh, absolutely. Bookeen's support used to be absolutely dire. There used to be a running joke in the Bookeen forum here at MR that when Bookeen promised a bug fix "on Monday", they meant "the second Monday of the week". Endless delivery promises broken.

It's years since I've owned a Bookeen reader, though (my last one was the Opus) and I've no idea if they're better now. Perhaps a more recent owner could comment?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
It appears from their website that they do not have an English dictionary. Any existing Bookeen users may be able to confirm if that seems correct.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
With the reports of lighting/gradients problems, and Kobo's battery problems, I'd be hesitant to buy online (unless I can get it through Amazon Prime).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Bookeen is the brand I always wanted to buy, ever since the Cybook Opus. Its design was perfect when it first was released. But I never actually bought any Bookeen readers.

I will buy a Muse HD this time, this time I will surely import it. It is perfect for me with buttons and cards.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote