Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2021, 06:02 PM   #16
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
You open the SD card on your Mac. Then put the contents of the firmware zip into rootfs/mnt/onboard/.kobo. Put it back into the eReader.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Gta: You should have no problem putting the update on the device using a MAC. Taking the card out is not needed unless you are having problems other than the ones you have mentioned. The MAC should mount the device and let you access it. Just copy the contents of the update package into the ".kobo" directory on the device.

If you have the card out, you don't want to format it. One partition is safe to be formatted, but, that will lose any books on it and mean a setup will be done when you disconnect.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 PM   #18
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently Gta cannot write to the Kobo. Or is that just in calibre?
Old 03-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Apparently Gta cannot write to the Kobo. Or is that just in calibre?
I don't think that @Gta has gotten the device setup properly. Calibre is after that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #20
Gta
Gta began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini, Libra
Awesome, thanks to both of you for the replies. I gave it a stab last night before I read this. I downloaded and extracted the glo firmware and put it in the .kobo directory but nothing changed. I'll go over your specifics though and try it again later. I'll let you know either way.

Thanks again, most troubleshooting searches for the Kobo end up in these forums with you guys.

Note: Initially the only visible files were the Calibre ones, so I deleted them in case Calibre (which was recognizing the device when I plugged in the USB) was somehow preventing the Kobo activation. I'll reinstall Calibre once I get the device up and running.
Gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #21
Gta

Hi and thanks so much for your patience.

I have download and extracted the firmware files mx50-ntx and installed the 9 items into my Kobo directory. No change, so I removed the files, but noted that the date modified for a couple of items had changed to today.

Note: I can't find this directory:

rootfs/mnt/onboard/.kobo so I've just been dumping them in the whole .kobo folder.

The directory folder looks greyed out, although when I get info, it shows that I have permission to read and right to the directory. The fact that I've seen no changes no matter what I do makes me wonder if this is a permissions issue? It would be helpful to know if the new firmware has a different splash/welcome screen so I could see if anything has been installed.
A couple of notes for future Mac user reference:
- The Mac won't recognize the SD card as a drive unless you pull it out of the device and put it in an ecard reader.
- The files are only viewable by clicking option+command+period

-Plugging the device in initiates the Kobo desktop device update installer on the Kobo desktop app, so it sees the device even if it won't recognize it for activation.

I know some users have asked for a disk image. Would that be an easy fix?

Thanks again for the assistance!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@Gta, This is the link to the current Kobo Glo firmware.

https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/f...4.26.16704.zip

When you connect your Kobo to your computer, you extract the contents of kobo-update-4.26.16704.zip to the .kobo directory. Given that you are using OX, you have to set OSX to show directories that start with a period. Then you eject and wait. The Kobo will install and reboot the firmware that you pit in the .kobo directory.

That's all there is to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gta View Post
Hi and thanks so much for your patience.

I have download and extracted the firmware files mx50-ntx and installed the 9 items into my Kobo directory. No change, so I removed the files, but noted that the date modified for a couple of items had changed to today.

Note: I can't find this directory:

rootfs/mnt/onboard/.kobo so I've just been dumping them in the whole .kobo folder.
Are you moving the downloaded .zip file to the desktop before working with it? Are you copying the KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and the upgrade directory (aka folder) into the .kobo directory on your Mini? The 9 items inside the mx50-ntx directory are not the entirety of the firmware update since they would only concern the OS, the KoboRoot.tgz is the most important file and is needed to trigger the firmware update.[/QUOTE]
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #24
Gta

Thanks Jon, David and Electron (a fellow Canadian!) for the support!

I read Jon's simple instructions, downloaded his link and the update happened immediately. I'm in

This was definitely a different zip than the firmware I had tried to install (prob my fault) but it's all good now.

I'll wade into Calibre and know where to come if I have questions

Thanks again all.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gta View Post
Thanks Jon, David and Electron (a fellow Canadian!) for the support!

I read Jon's simple instructions, downloaded his link and the update happened immediately. I'm in

This was definitely a different zip than the firmware I had tried to install (prob my fault) but it's all good now.

I'll wade into Calibre and know where to come if I have questions

Thanks again all.
Your welcome.

You may want to stick around and read the Kobo and Calibre forums. It can be tricky to figure out how to setup Calibre on your own to work as you want. I know I'd have been lost if not for MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #26
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know I'd have been lost if not for MR.
Yup. I'm pretty sure I'd have bricked my eReaders a long time ago without MobileRead.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had to recover from a non-working ereader quite often over the years. But then I suspect I may not even come close to the normal user for ereaders. They're little computers and so much fun to play with. In my experience, Kobo's ereaders are quite a bit easier to recover than most wireless routers which are my other favourite devices to brick.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-08-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #28
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In my experience, Kobo's ereaders are quite a bit easier to recover than most wireless routers which are my other favourite devices to brick.
How do you even brick a wireless router? Sounds fun
Old 03-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Check into Open-WRT, DD-WRT, Tomato and a few other open source wireless router firmware. Over the years, I played with them, I've had to unbrick several routers and abandoned a couple of routers that would not unbrick by any method I could try.