Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2020, 03:31 AM   #1
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Libra vs. Forma

I have been for the most part enjoying the software experience on my Libra H2O over the past couple of months. (While I have overwhelmingly used Kindles in the past, I did use the Aura H2O for a short period in 2016).

I am now wondering if I should have gone for the Forma instead. Obviously I know it has a larger, and flush, screen and the potential for more storage with a 32gb version.

Overall, would people say the Forma has a more premium feel than the Libra? (Although the Libra is said to be the equivalent of the Kindle Oasis 3, the latter definitely feels more premium as a piece of hardware, and is obviously the top end Kindle).

More specifically, does the Forma have any software differences to the Libra, in terms of extra features, etc?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:25 AM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
The Kobo software is basically the same for all device but Forma (and only it) has native Dropbox support.

The other differences are in hardware: 8" screen with the layer plastic screen instead of commonly used glass layer that rends the Forma more resistant.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Overall, would people say the Forma has a more premium feel than the Libra?
Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
I have both devices and IMHO the Forma does have a more premium feel to than the Libra. I also have the Kindle Oasis 3 and the Forma also has a more premium feel.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
The Kobo software is basically the same for all device but Forma (and only it) has native Dropbox support.

Older Kobo's don't have on device library functionality.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Older Kobo's don't have on device library functionality.
Sure, but any current Kobo you buy from the Nia to the Forma does have it. And since this is a comparison of the Libra and Forma, that doesn't really come into it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sure, but any current Kobo you buy from the Nia to the Forma does have it. ...
Sure.

Quote:
And since this is a comparison of the Libra and Forma, that doesn't really come into it.
Sure, but if your just referring to the Libra and Forma, than why say "basically the same for all devices". Someone who reads MR less often may be disappointed if they get a used Glo HD.

Heck, just to argumentative , you could even nitpick and say different devices run different firmware, seeing as for OTA updates you get older firmware.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Well, may be that in my answer I simplified a little because I did not mention Overdrive directly from Kobo that is not available for older Kobos. But I did not think that it was relevant in this discussion. And in many countries (mine for example) does not exist Overdrive at all, so to borrow a book You must use use ADE also with a newer Kobo.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Well, may be that in my answer I simplified a little because I did not mention Overdrive directly from Kobo that is not available for older Kobos. But I did not think that it was relevant in this discussion. ...
And there is nothing wrong with that. But I don't see anything wrong with clarifying information, either.

My posts due tend to be terse, and I don't mean them to be critical in a negative way.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
I can also vouch for the quality of my forma. The big screen really helps it feel like reading a physical book, and I make good use of the 32GB storage.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote