Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Looking to replace my Kobo Glo

So I love my Kobo Glo. It is an e-nk ereader with built in front lights and can read the formats of books i want. However, Kobo has made it exceedingly difficult for me to purchase books from them. I would like a device that has the same features of allowing CBR/CBZ and EPUB files, e-ink, with a light, and non illuminated screen. My Kobo Glo has upgradable storage of up to 32GB via microSD would like this to be 64GB instead. Thanks for any help
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Sorry that your experience with the Kobo store is driving you away from the Glo. Keep in mind that the Glo can read books from any store that uses Adobe's DRM, such as, for example, the Google Play Books store.

Given some help from Apprentice Alf's tools and a converter such as Calibre, you can even put books from Amazon on your Glo.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Buy from Amazon .. Convert to epub side load to you kobo. Amazon gift cards work great for buying no need to have Credit Card on your account
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You say that you want a "non-illuminated screen"? There are not that many non-illuminated devices sold these days. Is there any particular reason that you don't want a device with a frontlight?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You say that you want a "non-illuminated screen"? There are not that many non-illuminated devices sold these days. Is there any particular reason that you don't want a device with a frontlight?
He did say he wanted a light and a non-illuminated screen. I would interpret this as he wants to be able to turn the screen light off.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Basically I want the device to be e-ink with with a light i can turn on and off for night time reading. My kobo glo has this feature, which was one of the main buying points for me. It has a button on the top that can turn on and off the light for night time reading. Also, you can adjust the brightness of the light with the little light icon on the top of the screen. This device was almost perfect for what I wanted. Only issues were it only reads files up to 2GB large, extra storage only goes to 32GB, and kobo gift cards are literally only found at frys and best buy in my region. And I have never seen them at either store. You cant buy the gifts cards on the kobo website either.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have Never seen Kobo gift cards any where inc Best Buy. Amazon cards are in almost every store. I buy mine from CVS, Walgreens, Food Lion & Wies. Just to name a few.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
GoldThreader
Zealot

Is there any device thats exactly the same as the kobo glo just made by a different company?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
Is there any device thats exactly the same as the kobo glo just made by a different company?
Probably the closest thing to the Kobo is the Nook Glowlight Plus. It's not very close to the Kobo Glo but I think everything else is even more different. I have no idea if it'll do the CBR and CBZ files but you should be able to google that.

As someone mentioned you could get a Paperwhite and convert your books to work on it and get books from Amazon and other sources. Personally I think that's the better option. Converting is fairly trivial. I think you said you had 500 books. It'll convert them for you in bulk and you can let that run overnight and you'll have them ready for the Kindle in the morning. I've never done that many at once but bulk converting 5 or 6 books takes a couple of minutes and requires no attention till it's done.

Well, I say that's the better option but even better might be to see if you can iron out your issues with Kobo. Or buy books from Amazon and convert them to read on your Kobo.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Only issues were it only reads files up to 2GB large, extra storage only goes to 32GB
If you are up to opening the Glo, you can easily replace the internal storage with a 32GB card. I'm not sure if anyone has tried a 64GB card. And I'm pretty sure people have used 64GB cards in the external slot.
Quote:
and kobo gift cards are literally only found at frys and best buy in my region. And I have never seen them at either store. You cant buy the gifts cards on the kobo website either.
Is the issue that you don't have a credit card or that you don't trust on-line shops with it? If the latter, I can state that I have had no issues with Kobo in the four years I have been buying books from them. I don't remember anyone reporting problems with credit card charges from Kobo that weren't fixed. Admittedly, a couple of them took more than one contact, but that seems to be the exception, not the norm.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #11
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Probably the closest thing to the Kobo is the Nook Glowlight Plus. It's not very close to the Kobo Glo but I think everything else is even more different. I have no idea if it'll do the CBR and CBZ files but you should be able to google that.

As someone mentioned you could get a Paperwhite and convert your books to work on it and get books from Amazon and other sources. Personally I think that's the better option. Converting is fairly trivial. I think you said you had 500 books. It'll convert them for you in bulk and you can let that run overnight and you'll have them ready for the Kindle in the morning. I've never done that many at once but bulk converting 5 or 6 books takes a couple of minutes and requires no attention till it's done.

Well, I say that's the better option but even better might be to see if you can iron out your issues with Kobo. Or buy books from Amazon and convert them to read on your Kobo.

Barry
I will look into the Nook Glowlight. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I understand that I can convert books would still like to hear my options. Never know when a device that perfectly fits your needs will show up.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:00 AM   #12
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you are up to opening the Glo, you can easily replace the internal storage with a 32GB card. I'm not sure if anyone has tried a 64GB card. And I'm pretty sure people have used 64GB cards in the external slot.

Is the issue that you don't have a credit card or that you don't trust on-line shops with it? If the latter, I can state that I have had no issues with Kobo in the four years I have been buying books from them. I don't remember anyone reporting problems with credit card charges from Kobo that weren't fixed. Admittedly, a couple of them took more than one contact, but that seems to be the exception, not the norm.
I can say for certain the Kobo Glo does not support 64GB microSD cards. I don't know about recent ereaders but I have asked people before and no one has even heard of an ereader that supports over 32GB extra storage. A lot of ereaders will not list how much storage can be expanded upon at all. Tablets can support over 32GB extra storage but thats not what I want. Most ebooks do not take up a ton of space and 3GB is probably plenty for most people. However I am one of the few that space is an issue and would love the device to allow for as much extra space as possible. I havent dealt wit Kobo support so I would not know how well they operate. Plenty of reviews on their website suggest their products have horrible support though. I usually deal with cash instead of card. I have tried looking at best buy the only store nearby that Kobos online site claims sell their gift cards, in my region. They don't have any available. So, moving to their website they cant be purchased there either.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:14 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
I will look into the Nook Glowlight. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I understand that I can convert books would still like to hear my options. Never know when a device that perfectly fits your needs will show up.
GoldThreader--I'm pretty sure the Nook Glowlight or Glowlight Plus won't work for you--because of your requirement for more memory. Neither the Glowlight or Glowlight Plus come with extra memory--the Glowlight only has about 1/2 GB available for non-Barnes and Noble content. The GLowlight plus is a little better with 2.5 GB.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I can say for certain the Kobo Glo does not support 64GB microSD cards. I don't know about recent ereaders but I have asked people before and no one has even heard of an ereader that supports over 32GB extra storage.
What format was the card? I've just done as search of the Kobo forum and can see several p eople have been using 64GB cards in the Glo. They seem to need to reformat it as FAT32 rather the exFAT. And there are reports of using 128GB with the newer ereaders.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #15
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Hi I have a kobo aura and out of all the books I have only a minor amount were purchased through kobo, I use sainsburys ebook site (used to use Tesco as well) any ebook seller selling epubs will be fine on a kobo. I also had a lot of freebies from amazon and thanks to apprentice alf and calibre I an now a calibre convert although keep ADE for any library books.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote