Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2021, 05:00 AM   #61
vassilisb
vassilisb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Hello all!

I just ordered my first ebook reader!
a Kobo Libra H2O
and start doing my research till I receive the device

my question is
if I install this patch
(after I update to latest firmware ofcourse if its not already there)
should I get a Greek keyboard?

if I understand correct I have to edit libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml first and switch the "enabled" to "yes" first, correct?

will it work for Libra? as the model is not mentioned

Thank you all for your great work!

Vassilis
vassilisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #62
WormGod
WormGod began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've just committed new patch Custom header/footer captions to @geek1011's GitHub site. The new customise caption width feature is Part 3 of the patch.

The new patch completely replaces old patch Custom new header/footer font.

It will be in the next kobopatch release (whenever that is). If you want to see it before then you can find it at the GitHub site from line 194 of this file.
Hi Jackie -
Thanks for this. It will make things so much nicer.
I assume you have already finalized it, but is there any chance of un-commenting the new lines in Part 3 by default? I know I can do this, but from a user perspective, it is easier if all I have to do is enable the patch in my kobopatch.yaml file (along with the others that I want) and not have to touch the nickel.yaml file unless I want to customize the patch. The fewer times I have to touch those individual files each firmware/patch upgrade, the better. Or rather, the fewer mistakes I will make . Either way is good. Just wondering what you thought.
Also, where can I find information about the ReadingFooter container and properties? And all the other internal containers/properties/details?
Thanks again!
WormGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #63
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
Hi Jackie -
Thanks for this. It will make things so much nicer.
I assume you have already finalized it, but is there any chance of un-commenting the new lines in Part 3 by default? I know I can do this, but from a user perspective, it is easier if all I have to do is enable the patch in my kobopatch.yaml file (along with the others that I want) and not have to touch the nickel.yaml file unless I want to customize the patch. The fewer times I have to touch those individual files each firmware/patch upgrade, the better. Or rather, the fewer mistakes I will make . Either way is good. Just wondering what you thought.
I can enable Part 3 by default with the caveat that ... if anyone complains that they can no longer turn pages with minimum effort using their favourite "thumb twitch whilst holding the Kobo by the bottom corner like I've always done" then I'll have to revert back to disabling Part 3 by default.

I'll make the change in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
Also, where can I find information about the ReadingFooter container and properties? And all the other internal containers/properties/details?
Thanks again!
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. If you mean official Kobo documentation explaining all the GUI CSS/widgets in nickel - I'm afraid there is none. It's been mainly guesswork, trial and error by the masochistic willing to develop existing nickel patches.

There are currently approximately 200 potentially patchable CSS streams in nickel. Until very recently none of them even had a known name, so it was an amorphous blob of CSS and hope that Kobo had used helpful descriptive variable names to try and home in on the bits that might actually be worth patching.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #64
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. If you mean official Kobo documentation explaining all the GUI CSS/widgets in nickel - I'm afraid there is none. It's been mainly guesswork, trial and error by the masochistic willing to develop existing nickel patches.
You can find a bunch of information based on the static Qt metadata (sherman's NickelDBus can display this) and the setters/getters (use a disassembler on libnickel). If it's not a QObject, you generally need to do it the hard way through dynamic instrumentation or reference tracing.

Quote:
There are currently approximately 200 potentially patchable CSS streams in nickel. Until very recently none of them even had a known name, so it was an amorphous blob of CSS and hope that Kobo had used helpful descriptive variable names to try and home in on the bits that might actually be worth patching.
For anyone reading this, it's referring to my qrc tool, which will work on all Qt binaries.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #65
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassilisb View Post
if I understand correct I have to edit libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml first and switch the "enabled" to "yes" first, correct?
Yes.

Quote:
will it work for Libra? as the model is not mentioned
Unless stated otherwise, all patches will work on all devices. And if there's any incompatibilities, the patches are generally designed to fail while applying the patch rather than after installing it.
Advert
Old 01-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #66
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@WormGod. I've re-committed the new patch. You can find it in the same place as before. Although there's a rumour a new firmware could be imminent, in which case the update should be in @geek1011's next kobopatch release.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:00 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
@WormGod. I've re-committed the new patch. You can find it in the same place as before. Although there's a rumour a new firmware could be imminent, in which case the update should be in @geek1011's next kobopatch release.
Someone posted in another thread that he's synced and gotten 4.26.x.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Someone posted in another thread that he's synced and gotten 4.26.x.
I know, I read it. Whether it's true or a hoax, it doesn't matter as far as my patch update is concerned, which is in the only place on GitHub that it needs to be in order to automatically carry through to the next firmware update.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know, I read it. Whether it's true or a hoax, it doesn't matter as far as my patch update is concerned, which is in the only place on GitHub that it needs to be in order to automatically carry through to the next firmware update.
True that.

After reading about the change, I think the change is a rather good idea. Well done.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:58 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It's a hoax. @davidfor's query on Kobo was responded to by a Kobo staffer who said no such version.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-10-2021 at 10:00 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:20 PM   #71
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seem to remember a few years back we had another new poster claiming an upgrade that didn't exist.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:01 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I seem to remember a few years back we had another new poster claiming an upgrade that didn't exist.
Yes we did. That spammer even went as far as doctoring some photos to show us that it was real.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #73
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes we did. That spammer even went as far as doctoring some photos to show us that it was real.
They didn't so much doctor the photos as doctor the firmware itself...
Old 01-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #74
WormGod

Quote:
I can enable Part 3 by default with the caveat that ... if anyone complains that they can no longer turn pages with minimum effort using their favourite "thumb twitch whilst holding the Kobo by the bottom corner like I've always done" then I'll have to revert back to disabling Part 3 by default.

Thanks! That would be great! If you need to change it back to disabled by default, I will try to survive.

Quote:

Quote:
@Semwize is correct. I hadn't realised until now what 'ReadingFooter' property 'qproperty-footerMargin' was actually used for.

It's the width of the right & left corner tap zone blocks in the footer which can be used for turning pages. Whereas if you tap the caption area you bring up the scrubber.
It's this second comment from your earlier post in this thread that got me wondering how/where you were able to see that "ReadingFooter" actually had a property called "qproperty-footerMargin". As an old programmer, I'm always interested in seeing how things work.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #75
WormGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
You can find a bunch of information based on the static Qt metadata (sherman's NickelDBus can display this) and the setters/getters (use a disassembler on libnickel). If it's not a QObject, you generally need to do it the hard way through dynamic instrumentation or reference tracing.

For anyone reading this, it's referring to my qrc tool, which will work on all Qt binaries.
Thanks!

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching