Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
The Collector Trilogy - Dot Hutchison

The Butterfly Garden, the first book in this trilogy, was a Kindle First selection back in May 2016. I selected the book but it remained as to be read until about five or six weeks ago. The Genre indicated it was a thriller, which is not entirely inaccurate in the same sense as Thomas Harris's The Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon are thrillers. Like those books, the Butterfly Garden visits some deeply disturbing places in the human psyche, and provides plenty of food for thought. The themes are horrific and disturbing, as they are in many of the better books of this type. I'm not into trigger warnings, but one poster on Goodreads, Niki Huffine, answered the question as to whether the book was too graphic or disturbing by mentioning kidnapping, rape, pedophilia, serial murder, child molestation, torture, and vaguely incestuous relationships. You have been warned.

I'm not going to make comment about the plot or give away other details, other than I thought the book exceptional and worth reading. Because of this, it took me probably 5 or 6 weeks to start reading the second book in the trilogy, The Roses of May. This is because it is so common for later books to disappoint. Well, I am now part way through this second book and so far it is probably even better than the first. The last book in the series, the Summer Children, has been released, and I look forward to reading it, though not without some apprehension given the title and the content of the first two books.

All books are published by the Amazon imprint Thomas and Mercer and are available on Kindle Unlimited. The first and last ebooks are $5.99 to purchase, the second $7.99.

Based on my reading so far I would recommend both the first and second books, with a good prospect that I will also find the 3rd worth reading. They should be read in order. Though the stories are different, at least the first two have some common characters and the second book refers to events in the first. They do of course share a certain common theme hinted at by the reference to "the Collector Series".

If you like these sorts of books you will probably love them. If you are squeamish or disturbed or simply choose to avoid these types of themes, then the books are not for you.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Little (!) late to the game, but having read the first book The Butterfly Garden back in 2016 also, I have to agree that it was incredibly distrubing to put it mildly. Whilst not overly graphic, at least not too much for me (and I am both a tad on the squeamish side and not a huge lover of this type of story), the images it invoked were just horrific. But. All that build up, all that ege of my seat stuff... and the ending was just dire.

That being said I do still want to read the other two books in the trilogy, and intend on getting to them later this year.
ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2018, 02:42 AM   #3
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
Well I am even later to the party. I have read the first and second and am now just into the third in the series. I, too, am quite squeamish and usually avoid this type of story but I trusted the recommendations here and you were right. The violence in these books is very well handled.

The books are currently available under Kindle Unlimited at least in the Australian Amazon store. I have got the free month's trial and am making use of it for this trilogy.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:46 AM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDan View Post
Interesting. So it's a serial killer story? And i think i've seen butterfly garden in horror section more is there any supernatural elements?
I'm a big fan of Silence of the lambs so i'm intrigued.
No supernatural elements at all. If you loved Silence of the Lambs you will very likely enjoy these books. Read them in order.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote