Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
canopus56
canopus56 began at the beginning.

Device: Andriod
Manual navigation bar Epub 2.0

What is the best method to include a manual navigation bar in a page header? What are the pros and cons of this? The book that I have in process in Sigil Epub 2.0 coding has many cross-references and in order to make navigation easier for the user, I would like to have a navigation bar at each section that goes directly to a summary Table of Contents, detail Table of Contents, the Index, and References. My development EPUB reader is Akido for Android. The code that I used to implement this is below, but I am wondering if there are better examples or opinions on adding this into a EPUB book, i.e. - duplication of features, other solutions, interference with a broader range of readers.

Navigation bar at start of page-sections -

<p class="navBar"><a href="../Text/TOC.xhtml">Seasons</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="../Text/TOD.xhtml">Days</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="../Text/Index.xhtml">Index</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="../Text/References.xhtml">References</a></p>

CSS file entry -

.navBar{color: white; a:link{color:white}; a:visited{color:green}; background-color: aqua; font-size: 0.9em; text-align: left;}
canopus56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The reader itself should be always able to navigate via the toc.ncx or nav. As long as your toc.ncx/nav is set properly to include those sections you should be good to go for almost all reasonable readers
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
canopus56
canopus56 began at the beginning.

Device: Andriod
Thanks for the feedback. I settled on a more restrained style for the nav bar:

.navBar{width: 80%; border-style: solid; border-width: thin; font-size: 0.9em; text-align: left;}

This is used with a nav bar after each section break:

<hr class="sigil_split_marker"/>
<p class="navBar"><a href="../Text/TOC.xhtml">Seasons</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="../Text/TOD.xhtml">Days</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="../Text/Index.xhtml">Index</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="../Text/References.xhtml">References</a></p>

The built-in toc is fine, but it takes too long to get around a complex document with many citations and cross-references.
canopus56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I do not think creating a toc.ncx with links to each citation or cross-references makes any sense. Only major sections should be linked to in the toc.ncx/nav. Sections with h1 or possibly h2 tags that start them. You can also use the opf guide items for navigation on most epub2 readers as well.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sigil;navigation;bar