Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
pzaw
pzaw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre tags

hi,

I installed Calibre portable on a thumb drive.
I would like to use tags to group my books.

Out of the box there are no tags which is understandable.

How do I setup my list of tags so I can use the dropdown tag box under edit meta data.

Can you nest tags like say

Math
__general
____matrices
____Taylor series
____Bessel function
____DE

any help would be much appreciated.
pzaw
pzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzaw View Post
hi,

How do I setup my list of tags so I can use the dropdown tag box under edit meta data.

Math
__general
____matrices
____Taylor series
____Bessel function
____DE

pzaw
Do you mean Calibre or Calibre Companion? You will probably get more responses if you post in the Calibre or Calibre Companion forum, depending on which one you are talking about.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzaw View Post
hi,

Math
__general
____matrices
____Taylor series
____Bessel function
____DE

pzaw
Subgroups:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html

Math.general.matrices
Math.general.Taylor series
Math.general.Bessel function
Math.general.DE
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moved to Calibre.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You might also want to set Preferences:Look and Feel:Tag Browser to indicate which columns should be treated as Hierarchical in the tag browser
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tags get added when they are assigned to a book, and deleted when they are no longer used by any books.

calibre does not provide the means to maintain a defined set of tags, as in say a controlled vocabulary for IPTC keywords.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Create a blank book and add all your tags to it, then they will be available for all other books as well.

Al though if you want to use a fixed set of values a better way than tags would be to use a custom column permitting only a fixed set of values.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
pzaw
pzaw began at the beginning.

Thank you very much for all those who replied.
It was of great help.
pzaw is offline   Reply With Quote