Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #61
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That performance is terrible. The library size does affect things as the device uses a database for most of these functions. The more books, the bigger the database, the more to search, the more likely things will slow down. I have around 4000 books on my Aura ONE, and don't have any real issues with performance (except the one I mentioned in my response to oren64). How many books do you have?

I have 6,437 books in my library. With firmware 3.19.5761 I have no problems except for "My Collections" taking 2 minutes and 10 seconds to load.

Whenever I have tried to upgrade the firmware past 3.19.5761 I have experienced problems. With this latest firmware update, I experience the lag I described earlier although, oddly, my collections loads in a few seconds. I was not going to update at all because of my past experiences with later firmware versions, but when I read that the collections now loaded quicker I decided to give it a try.

Unfortunately, due to the overall sluggishness of everything else, I'm back with 3.19.5761.

I am awaiting a faster SDcard from Amazon.com, I'll update firmware after I get it and see if it makes any difference.
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
small thing I noticed yesterday have h20 2nd edition. I side loaded about 40 books but they were not showing when I drilled down to unread and recent. only show when I have all books and by title or author. Will this update fix that? (edit have bout 2800 books on there)
Can you check the date and time on the device? The only way I can think of for that behaviour is if the date has been changed at some time. For example, if you load a l lot of books and then set the date back by a year, any new books loaded will take that date and appear at the wrong end of the "Recent" and "Date added" sorts.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Okay--I have what is probably a very silly question...I seem to have a recollection (could be totally imagined on my part) that one of the more recent firmware versions will start nagging you if you haven't synced to the Kobo servers in quite a while. Is this accurate? Since my practice is to side-load all books, leave wi-fi off, and never sync will I eventually start getting nagged if I update?
Yes, there is a nag, but I'm pretty sure it is a one-off. Once it has been shown, "SyncReminderDialogShown=true" will be added to the "ApplicationSettings" section of the config file.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #64
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElWorm View Post
I have 6,437 books in my library. With firmware 3.19.5761 I have no problems except for "My Collections" taking 2 minutes and 10 seconds to load.

Whenever I have tried to upgrade the firmware past 3.19.5761 I have experienced problems. With this latest firmware update, I experience the lag I described earlier although, oddly, my collections loads in a few seconds. I was not going to update at all because of my past experiences with later firmware versions, but when I read that the collections now loaded quicker I decided to give it a try.

Unfortunately, due to the overall sluggishness of everything else, I'm back with 3.19.5761.

I am awaiting a faster SDcard from Amazon.com, I'll update firmware after I get it and see if it makes any difference.
The performance improvement for the collections list was because they rewrote the code building the list. I've been complaining for ages about it and it finally rose to the top of pile. I think there was a not-so-obvious cause in the performance degradation that needed a real users database to look at.

There is a performance issue that has crept into this firmware which I described earlier. I mainly see it when I open certain dialogs when reading, but it also hits when closing a book and I'd expect it will hit when going to sleep while reading (I mean the device, not me). I'm pretty sure it is related to some of the database updates being done at these times. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I see about a 15 second hit. The extra books you have over me might explain the longer time it takes for you, but I'm surprised it is that much longer. And I would have expected that just after a restart it would be OK.

Other than reducing the number of books on the device, there probably isn't anything you can do until the next firmware version comes out.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do think a faster SD card may help. Using one that's not even fast enough to stream HD video is too slow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #66
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder what the sizes are of the various tables in the database? If one never syncs wouldn't the activity table keep growing?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #67
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Wouldn't that compress database option on Kobo Utilities plug-in help?
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Wouldn't that compress database option on Kobo Utilities plug-in help?
It might help and it is worthwhile doing. But, it won't surprise me if there isn't much affect. I believe the firmware does do a compress, I'm just not sure when. If it was me, I'd be doing it during the startup.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:52 PM   #69
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder what the sizes are of the various tables in the database? If one never syncs wouldn't the activity table keep growing?
That's going to be part of it, but I don't think the Activity table is the culprit. It will be either the Event table or the content table. There isn't much you can do about the content table except remove books. It has one row per book, plus one row per ToC entry for epubs and kepubs plus another row for each internal file for kepubs. And other formats will have extra rows as well.

For the Event table, it can be cleaned up. If you don't care about the stats, you can just delete all the rows. Some rows can be removed safely without affecting the stats, but I'd need to check my notes before suggesting which. Reducing the total number of rows should help performance, but I have never checked. There were some problems with specific event types in the past, but I think those have been fixed.

But, as you are mentioning syncs, you might have meant the AnalyticEvents table. I would expect that to get flushed with each sync. Clearing that might help. And there is a function in my Kobo Utilities plugin to add a trigger to prevent anything from being added to this table. But, I don't believe this table is the reason for the performance issues I have been seeing.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #70
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe elworm is NOT syncing as if they were the f/w would upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #71
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe elworm is NOT syncing as if they were the f/w would upgrade.
Sorry, I meant the AnalyticEvents was the only table I can think of that should get pruned by a sync and hence could get big if no sync is ever done. I'm sure the Activity table doesn't.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #72
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, there is a nag, but I'm pretty sure it is a one-off. Once it has been shown, "SyncReminderDialogShown=true" will be added to the "ApplicationSettings" section of the config file.
Thanks--I can handle a one-off nag. It would only be annoying if I was repeatedly nagged to sync!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #73
seking
seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glow Hd kindle touch 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElWorm View Post
I installed the new firmware this morning, and collections do indeed open much quicker than they used to (I have 45 pages of collections). Unfortunately, now many other functions of my H2O are painfully sluggish. I have tried rebooting several times but it does not fix the problem.

I have noticed that it takes a minute or longer to enter sleep mode, sub menus take minutes to open, trying to go to the home page takes minutes, typing into the search bar takes minutes for the typed text to appear.

I have not had any luck with updates after 3.19.5761. I suspect it might be because of the large library I have stored on the external sdcard. Anyways, back to 3.19.5761 for me.

Does anyone know if the speed of the sdcard could cause sluggishness like this? I am using a Class 2 8GB Sandisk.
same for me. painfully slow. i have kobo glo hd
seking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:51 AM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seking View Post
same for me. painfully slow. i have kobo glo hd
With firmware version 4.6.9960? Which functions are slow? And how slow is "painfully slow"?
Old 10-06-2017, 02:28 AM   #75
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
There is also one new option "Large Print Mode" in "Beta Features". You can use ereader even without reading glasses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9ee0c263267fc5f624c71227b63a4ad6.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	159322  
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote