Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If you are trying to use the Kobo Start Menu on the new H2o, see this. and this.

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
mementomori
Enthusiast
mementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Thanks!
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #18
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori View Post
1. Pry the bezel off. You can use your fingernails. I used mine.
I was wondering, do you have any scratch marks now?
Old 10-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
mementomori
Enthusiast
mementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavens

none. still looks like new But I wont submerge it underwater.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #20
mementomori
Enthusiast

I tried to replace the 4gb sdcard with a 16gb and expanded the user partition. Apparently, it works fine.

@Ken, I did all of those and I can see the menu now However the menu doesn't seem to respond to any input. I can proceed to the original application (i guess it's called nickel) when I press the power button from the menu.

Is the development at this stage? Has someone successfully run koReader in an H2O?
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #21
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is my understanding that the latest build 849of KOreader includes code for the H2o.

For the Start Menu, all I am going by are the posts I linked to and that part of the thread, I do not have a H2o, myself.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-18-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #22
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori View Post
@Ken, I did all of those and I can see the menu now However the menu doesn't seem to respond to any input. I can proceed to the original application (i guess it's called nickel) when I press the power button from the menu.

Is the development at this stage? Has someone successfully run koReader in an H2O?
A working H2O driver for KSM and vlasovsoftlauncher (mostly for CoolReader) can be found here.

To get touch input to work in KOReader either grab a sufficiently recent build or see here for the changes that should make it work in older versions too. To fix the bezel, similarly see here and here.

Sleep isn't working (and worse, breaks input), so you'll have to exit KOReader instead. If you replace the KSM suspend.sh by the one from vlasovsoftlauncher it seems to work, or you could run vlasovsoftlauncher and suspend from there.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
After reading that comment in the advboot thread, I tried it on a Glo and after running koreader on startup 3 times, the 4th time it wanted to do a factory reset.
Good, someone has done the test so I don't have to It's a good thing to know as if the device is booting to the dancing squares, this might be easier for some than the buttons. Also, it might explain some report of "spontaneous factory resets".

Quote:
I tried tshering's modification to rcS and it stopped asking for the factory reset. At the moment, it looks as if on a Mini or Aura H2O, that modification might not be a good idea.
Yes, it is a bit dangerous. But, if someone can find what is being checked, then it might be possible to reset that from the menu or application it starts.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
No need to pull it apart when it's working. Last week I obtained a full image using something like nc -l -p 1234 < /dev/mmcblk0. That being said, at the very least it contains my user/pass, so I need to know more about what to erase and whether there are any more device-specific identifiers on the device.
The serial number for you device is at offset 0x200. It is a thirteen digit number starting after "SN: " (or something like that). Replacing the serial number with zeroes makes it easy to find.

Everything else is in the user partition. Wiping that will solve the problem. Doing that in a way that writes zeroes everywhere would make it very compressible. Removing the database, version file and config file would also remove your details. These will all get regenerated at startup and the missing database will mean the device does the basic setup.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #25
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, if someone can find what is being checked, then it might be possible to reset that from the menu or application it starts.
pickel reads a value form the disc, if it is higher than 2 or 3 (I cannot remember exactly) it offers to reset, otherwise it increases the value by one. Nickel, after being started, resets the value to 0.
I do not remember the location on the disc from the top of my head. One more point: If I remember correctly, pickel checks and writes 5 bytes, the first 4 being just to verify the 4 byte is correct.

Edit: I found my notes. On the touch the values then were (doing 5 reboots without nickel):

8DEF02D200
1BDF05A501
A18E0C3C02
37BE0B4B03
73686F7504

The position is 1E9 of the user partition.

Last edited by tshering; 10-18-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #26
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The serial number for you device is at offset 0x200. It is a thirteen digit number starting after "SN: " (or something like that). Replacing the serial number with zeroes makes it easy to find.

Everything else is in the user partition. Wiping that will solve the problem. Doing that in a way that writes zeroes everywhere would make it very compressible. Removing the database, version file and config file would also remove your details. These will all get regenerated at startup and the missing database will mean the device does the basic setup.
Yes, that serial number is hard to miss when you open a hex editor. It's pretty much the first thing there after a bunch of zeroes. So that's it as far as non-obvious things go? Just the S/N?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, that serial number is hard to miss when you open a hex editor. It's pretty much the first thing there after a bunch of zeroes. So that's it as far as non-obvious things go? Just the S/N?
To the best of my knowledge. I have images for most of the other devices, and the serial numbers have been zeroed. I think they have all been taken after a factory reset and before the setup. That way they have no books, and an empty database. That should mean no identifying values. I also recommend doing a factory reset after restoring the image. That should make sure everything is OK.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #28
Frenzie
Wizard

Alright, in the future that means I might be able to help some poor soul.

So the serial number looks like this (it starts with N250, which is the model number):
SN-N250######### #_##########

Do you happen to know what the second string of numbers is?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Alright, in the future that means I might be able to help some poor soul.

So the serial number looks like this (it starts with N250, which is the model number):
SN-N250######### #_##########

Do you happen to know what the second string of numbers is?
Do you see some parts the same in /.kobo/version ?

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #30
Frenzie
Wizard

The serial number is the same, but .kobo/version continues with information about the Linux kernel and firmware version in an oddly redundant manner (2.6.35.3,3.7.0,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000370).

However, it just occurred to me that it might be some kind of manufacturing timestamp in the form of #_YYMMDDHHMM, assuming my device was manufactured about two months ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
flash, h2o, image, sdcard, sdcard-image