Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
willboliva
willboliva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to clear the search history in the ebook viewer?

The answers in old threads with this question say that in the Preferences button in the viewer and under Miscellaneous there is a button to clear search history, but this function seems to be missing in the current Calibre version.

Last edited by willboliva; 01-14-2020 at 04:42 PM.
willboliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't recall the V4 viewer ever having a clear search history function. Took me a while to realise it even kept any search history

FWIW: they're in the "search-bar-history-search-in-book" section of viewer-webengine.json.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
willboliva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I don't recall the V4 viewer ever having a clear search history function. Took me a while to realise it even kept any search history

FWIW: they're in the "search-bar-history-search-in-book" section of viewer-webengine.json.

BR
Thanks! Deleting the json file did it.

Last edited by willboliva; 01-14-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you deleted the file you would have lost many other settings. My hint was intended to suggest you remove a specific section.

BR
Old 01-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
willboliva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you deleted the file you would have lost many other settings. My hint was intended to suggest you remove a specific section.

BR
Oh crap... can you tell what settings I lost, please?
Old 01-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Not precisely. If you have a backup of your user folder then you can restore the file from there?

This is my viewer-webengine.json, the white lines are where I've collapsed the irrelevant details

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-15 101957.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	176397

Tip: in future instead of blithely deleting application control files, rename them to something like viewer-webengine.json.save.

BR
Old 04-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but the way I edit books and check them, I use the search function often. Starting a new book and having to scroll through all the searches gets too cumbersome, so I always clear the search when starting a new book. Before it was a simple thing, go into Miscellaneous options and clear the history. Now I have to go in and edit a file, which I'd really not have to do constantly.

Also Editing the viewer-webengine.json file didn't work. I did find though that editing the search words out of the history.plist file did the trick. But still, having to constantly edit the files gets old fast.

Is there any chance of bringing back the setting to clear the search history within the GUI like it was?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Right click on the search field and select Clear search history
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Thank you! I swear I looked everywhere for any documentation about such a feature.

Thank you again.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #10
willboliva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Right click on the search field and select Clear search history
Thanks. What about the Search table of Contents?
Old 05-10-2020, 12:21 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Same way, in next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote