Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
iball
iball began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook reader that is good for manga

Hi,

I have never had an ebook reader but I am toying around the idea of getting one. I would be downloading ebooks and cbz comics/manga. I doubt I would actually buy the books from a store like Amazon but if I can, so be it. I am just not sure what the differences are between all of these versions. I get that a kindle paperwhite is "easy to read" but past that I am lost.

What is the difference between basic kindles or the paperwhite v3 and v4...why would I choose that over the kobo or just some random cheapo reader. I guess I don't know what questions I need to ask.

What I want:

- 6-8 inch
- I would like expandable storage or just high capacity (I am not actually sure how much space I need as I never used one and can't gauge)
- Handles manga well
- Can be jailbroken
- Prefer some easy to way to wireless transfer files to the reader
- E-ink only, no tablets. I feel like I'd get too distracted from reading.
iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Basic Kindle is out. Text is often fuzzy or even plain unreadable (e.g. small side text) on these due to the low 167 ppi.

I can read manga just fine on 6" 300 ppi such as on the Kindle PW3/PW4 and Kobo Clara HD but there are plenty who find it too small. Most find 7-8" to be more comfortable.

CBZ isn't natively supported on Kindles so you'll either need to convert first or find one that's jailbreakable so you could install KOReader. That rules out the Oasis 3. There are still ways for the PW4.

Kobo has native CBZ support but I still prefer to use KOReader (trivially easy to install on the Kobo). I think Kobo (6" Clara HD, 7" Libra H2O, 8" Forma) is probably your best bet. If you don't mind potentially voiding the warranty, it's even possible to replace the internal microSD card on the 6" Clara HD with a higher capacity card (Samsung mSD is recommended).

Mind, built-in 8GB storage is quite useable if you only need it for your reading list and not to permanently store favorites. My 160-200 page manga volumes tend to average at 100MB and that's at fairly high quality.

KOReader has a built-in FTP client. I just have a FileZilla FTP server running on my PC so I can download manga wirelessly. Alas, no batch download I believe so I often still do my bulk transfers via USB.

I currently use jailbroken 32GB PW3s and PW4s for manga. I do have a Libra H2O on order, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
iball
iball began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

I can read manga just fine on 6" 300 ppi such as on the Kindle PW3/PW4 and Kobo Clara HD but there are plenty who find it too small. Most find 7-8" to be more comfortable.
Thank you for responding!

I currently read manga on my phone so I am sure anything bigger than that is going to feel huge lol. Any suggestions on the great pw4 vs clara hd debate? It seems the clara has more features I want, the storage and compatibility and such. What made you get the pw4?
iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:04 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iball View Post
I currently read manga on my phone so I am sure anything bigger than that is going to feel huge lol. Any suggestions on the great pw4 vs clara hd debate? It seems the clara has more features I want, the storage and compatibility and such. What made you get the pw4?
The PW4 had rounded edges, 32GB option and waterproofing was a draw since I read in the tub. I already had the PW3 so I knew what to expect software-wise. Plus, I had a bricked Kindle I could trade in for 25% discount off the PW4.

Got lucky that factory firmware for jailbreaking was released just a day or so after I received my PW4. With JB and KOReader, format support became a non-issue. I've actually bought several backups while they were still shipping with jailbreakable firmware.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
I read a lot of Manga and have tried lots of Kindle/Pocketbook/Onyx setups.

I can strongly recommend a combination of an Onyx Boox Poke Pro and https://tachiyomi.org

The size and resolution of the device is ideal for most manga. Tachiyomi is the best manga management and reading software I've used.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best Reader for Manga is the ONYX BOOX MAX 3. It's a 13.3" Reader using a plastic backed screen. Because it's so big, you'll have no trouble reading Manga.

https://ereader.store/en/onyx-boox/o...-white-57.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #7
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Comparing to screen sizes I think the source for most manga is about 9-10".

I've got a Nova Pro (8") and Poke Pro (6"). Personally I think the 6" is preferable as most manga is noticeably sharper on there compared to the 8". It's rare manga from a half decent source is difficult to read or blurred on the 6". On the 8" there's often a lack of sharpness due to the quality of the source.

Also the Nova and Poke are both 300ppi, after getting used to 300ppi readers, anything lower looks blurred to me. Most of the larger e-readers have much lower ppis than that.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
Hopefully
Hopefully began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Quote:
I currently use jailbroken 32GB PW3s and PW4s for manga. I do have a Libra H2O on order, though.
I'm someone looking for a reader similar to what OP is asking for. Can I ask about more details about your jailbroken Paperwhite 4? Is it just the standard jailbreak as shown here + installing KOReader?

Thanks!
Hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
I'm someone looking for a reader similar to what OP is asking for. Can I ask about more details about your jailbroken Paperwhite 4? Is it just the standard jailbreak as shown here + installing KOReader?
Mine were from earlier batches so yes.

For later batches:
Spoiler:
Quote:
I might be able to help with jailbreak for the waterproof PW4/Paperwhite 4/Paperwhite (2018)/Paperwhite (10th generation) only.

Those interested, please PM me with the following details about your device:
  1. First 12 characters of serial number (gives us the HW model, revision and manufacture date)
  2. Country
  3. Retailer/Store
  4. Color
  5. Storage
  6. with or without Special Offers
  7. Wi-Fi or Cellular
  8. FW version and stock or updated?
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
kinda_confused
kinda_confused began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra H2O
*A wild Necromancer appears*

Sorry to necro the thread, but it comes up as one of the most relevant hits.

Has something changed in the past year? I am looking to get my first e-ink device and I'm wondering if I'm on the right track. I'm split between Kobo Libra and Kobo Forma. The Onyx Boox devices look great, but kinda pricy for something I'm gonna use solely for reading manga in bed before going to sleep.
I'm leaning more towards the Libra, since it's newer and a lot cheaper. 6" is a no go, 8" is definitely good, but what about 7" - kinda gray area (since I have no experience with e-readers other than my phone). Any suggestions? Any hidden pros of one over the other (Libra/Forma)?
kinda_confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:28 AM   #11
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I read graphic novels on occasion and IMO, any eInk screen less than 11” is suboptimal. Smaller screens would lead to constant pinching and zooming for which the slow refresh rate of eInk is poorly suited. When I do read a graphic novel or manga, I use my iPad as it can easily handle the various formats including image files and smoother navigation.

Last edited by azayn; 10-11-2020 at 12:59 AM.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:10 AM   #12
kinda_confused
kinda_confused began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I read graphic novels on occasion and IMO, any eInk screen less than 11” is suboptimal. Smaller screens would lead to constant pinching and zooming for which the slow refresh rate of eInk is poorly suited. When I do read a graphic novel or manga, I use my iPad as it can easily handle the various formats including image files and smoother navigation.
Thank you for your reply!!

If we're talking about western comic book and graphic novels, I totally agree. But Japanese manga has a significantly smaller book size to begin with.

I'm used to reading manga on my 6" phone with frequent zooming, so I thought I would need at least an 8" ereader, but now I realize my phone's ratio is suboptimal for manga and part of the screen is actually left unused, and it's more like 4-5". Probably 6" would be ok for manga (this is what I gather from youtube reviews and the posts here), but I'd rather still go for the 7" Kobo Libra H20 (the price difference between it and Forma seems to big for just 1").
kinda_confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You may wish to wait for some of the color devices that are starting to emerge. (A few are already available.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You may wish to wait for some of the color devices that are starting to emerge. (A few are already available.)
Manga is B&W. The new color screens have much less contrast for B&W. I say forget color screens for now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #15
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I would go with a 7.8" or 8" reader. It's almost exactly the same size as a typical tankoban volume. 6" is doable, but some text can be miniscule. The Oynx running Android allows it to run Tachiyomi which is great if you use any scanlation sites at all.

Another option to the Oynx is the Likebook Mars. You lose Wacom Pen support, older version of Android and a little slower but it is cheaper.

Otherwise I'd go with a Kobo Forma or a used Kobo Aura One if you can find it. Kindles don't do .cbz or .cbr out of the box.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote