Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #106
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll second (or third) The Odyssey.

A lot of great choices this month.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kim is an orphan boy in India in the late 1800s. He becomes involved in an old Lama's search for a sacred river, and in a British spy ring, playing the "Great Game".

"The book presents a vivid picture of India, its teeming populations, religions, and superstitions, and the life of the bazaars and the road."
..........The Concise Oxford Companion to English Literature. Ed. Margaret Drabble and Jenny Stringer. Oxford University Press, 2007.

It's also a very good read.
Last time we read a book about India, it was awful. Are you sure this one is actually good?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #108
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Last time we read a book about India, it was awful. Are you sure this one is actually good?
Kim is a great book. As expected the good guys are all on one side, with white hats, and the bad guys are all on the the other side, with black hats.
Not only adventures but noble feelings among which dominate loyalty, courage and self sacrifice. There is also a high spiritual figure. With some suppressed tears, Rule Britannia triumphs. If you were anti British, you had to eat your liver. If not you could smile a lot. Nowadays who cares.

The basic theme of LOR, that is of the small ones that are crucial in the final victory of the good big ones against everybody's foe, is taken from Kim. (IMHO)

A nice discussion is quite possible.

Last edited by beppe; 04-23-2010 at 10:04 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #109
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Well - and I'm not necessarily suggesting it - "A doll's house" - I had to sit through it in school, I've seen it at least twice with friends and/or family - and apart from the plays of Holberg there is no more well-known play in Denmark (in my generation). It's also a truly great play - and after having read "The children's book" by Byatt I am even more amazed by the play. But all in all I prefer plays to be seen rather than read sol I can't really propose it. My alternative proposal would be a fairytale by the brothers Grimm.
Thank you Ea. Therefore I waive the idea of a play. If you propose one fairytale by Grimm Bro.& Co. of your choice, I will second it happily.

Your post gives life to my old idea of reading just few chapters of a large book. Look what happened last time. The egg and I is light and shortish, nevertheless very few of us were able to finish it in time. The discussion has been valuable but somehow mutilated.

I really would like to propose a reading from Anna Karenina, but it is too long and intense, while few chapters (the one at the beginning of the 2nd part, for my personal inclination, but any other part will be fine) might be acceptable. I would like to see your comments on this, and if there are some positive, I will make my proposal accordingly.

An other aspect of my point is that I do not see yet in Classics a Classic Classic, for adults I mean, but just Classic for youngsters. Except Huxley.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #110
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Wasn't that "A Passage to India"? It's a quite different book from "Kim" - still good, but Forster isn't everyone's cup of tea, of course.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #111
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Wasn't that "A Passage to India"? It's a quite different book from "Kim" - still good, but Forster isn't everyone's cup of tea, of course.
well Jon's kinda different as well

but we love him!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I think you mean "I didn't enjoy it" rather than "it was awful", Jon. E.M. Forster is generally considered to be a pretty good writer, regardless of your personal thoughts about his writing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #113
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
well Jon's kinda different as well

but we love him!
Even if he doesn't love Forster
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #114
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you mean "I didn't enjoy it" rather than "it was awful", Jon. E.M. Forster is generally considered to be a pretty good writer, regardless of your personal thoughts about his writing.
E.M. Forster is a great one!

You English literature experts. Hello!

Would it be a big literary mistake to consider John Fowles an heir of Jon. E.M. Forster?

I would like to propose The French Lieutenant's Woman but it is not in the Domain. Is anybody against proposing A Room with a View by Foster?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #115
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Thank you Ea. Therefore I waive the idea of a play. If you propose one fairytale by Grimm Bro.& Co. of your choice, I will second it happily.
I have read The Importance of Being Earnest... by Oscar Wilde. It is really funny and a pretty quick read. Actually my family read it together one night with each of us taking one or two of the characters.

If I had thought of it I would have nominated it last month.

THIS IS NOT A NOMINATION BTW.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #116
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
My I offer a correction? It's 'The Three Musketeers' not 'The Three Muskateers.'

Thank you.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it was A Passage to India. I found that a total mess with no value. It was dull at best.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Even if he doesn't love Forster
A Passage to India is the only Forster book I've read. I have no idea if any of his others would be to my liking.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #119
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
E.M. Forster is a great one!

You English literature experts. Hello!

Would it be a big literary mistake to consider John Fowles an heir of Jon. E.M. Forster?

I would like to propose The French Lieutenant's Woman but it is not in the Domain. Is anybody against proposing A Room with a View by Foster?
I agree, "The French Lieutenant's Woman" is a modern classic.
Although I think Fowles is more the heir of Thomas Hardy myself; "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" for example.

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-23-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #120
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I agree, "The French Lieutenant's Woman" is a modern classic.
Although I think Fowles is more the heir of Thomas Hardy myself; "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" for example.
Oh, what a nice thing. That is what I was looking for, something written with sensibility and attention for details. Rich in feelings, without ... That is why I was thinking of Anioshca Karenina. Stumbled upon Ibsen...

Please, do find something like that in the English literature and not so pessimistic and depressing or childish so that we all can have a real good time reading and discussing.

Last edited by beppe; 04-23-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: grammar