Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
rgjp
rgjp began at the beginning.

Device: 505 Reader
Question Seriously, no dictionary?

All I want is a full, contemporary English-English dictionary that is properly formatted for the Reader.

I don't need a fancy way to look up words. When I find a word I don't know, I just want to quit out of my book, go to the dictionary eBook, then skip ahead using alphabetical bookmarks to find the definition of the word in question.

Does such a thing exist in Adobe eBook or another Reader compatible format?

So far it's been a frustrating and fruitless search. Personally, I can't believe there isn't a basic dictionary on the Sony store. Why on earth wouldn't they have one for sale?
rgjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum, rjip.
I think the problem is that it could take a frustrating lot of clicks before finding the actual word that one wants to look up. But I agree that a dictionary would be very desirable.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Have you considered the dictionaries sold in other formats, like those sold by Fictionwise? Of course, you will have to "shift" the format to LRF or ePub.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
rgjp

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. I assume you used Calibre to convert.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjp View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. I assume you used Calibre to convert.
You can convert the mobipocket or MS Reader (LIT) formats to LRF or ePub using calibre. But before that, you'll have to remove the *cough* DRM *cough*, using mobidedrm or convertlit, respectively. Search the forums for some hints.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I was even looking online for a database dictionary, but it seems like a lot of work, to reorganise all the data back into a format the reader can read...

best is what Seabound advises...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
All I want is a full, contemporary English-English dictionary that is properly formatted for the Reader.

I don't need a fancy way to look up words. When I find a word I don't know, I just want to quit out of my book, go to the dictionary eBook, then skip ahead using alphabetical bookmarks to find the definition of the word in question.

Does such a thing exist in Adobe eBook or another Reader compatible format?

So far it's been a frustrating and fruitless search. Personally, I can't believe there isn't a basic dictionary on the Sony store. Why on earth wouldn't they have one for sale?
If a dictionary is important to you, I'm a little curious about why you bought a Sony Reader. Wouldn't buying a device which supports dictionaries, such as the Kindle or the CyBook, have been more sensible?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I can understand having a dictionary be important but not being the most important feature -- I finally held a Kindle the other day (one of my wife's students has one and brought it with him for me to experiment with) and I have to say that it has no features which outweight the different feeling of holding it and reading with it. The Sony has so much going for it, that rgjp may simply have decided that while the dictionary is important, other features were more important.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
rgjp

Come on Harry.

If you're a little curious, read on. But I suspect you already know why I chose the Reader. As dhbailey suggests - and just to make it clear - I would like to have a dictionary, but it's not the most important feature in a reader. I'm just trying to find a contemporary dictionary that works. I don't think that's unreasonable.

But since you're a little curious Harry - here's why I chose the PRS-505:

#1 - It supports more formats.
#2 - It's cheaper than both the Cybook and the Kindle. Also comes with 100 free classics.
#3 - It's for sale in Canada, unlike the Kindle and its US only network. Amazon isn't selling the Kindle in Canada. Meanwhile, SonyStyle.ca shipped it to me for free, after I got a hands on in the local Sony Store.
#4 - The Reader isn't ugly like the Kindle.
#5 - I just read books. I don't need a touchscreen. I don't need a keyboard.
#6 - Sony has a decent record of keeping the firmware up to date, and they have their own store.

Pretty sensible, no?

All I'm asking is - why isn't anyone selling a dictionary (like the one on my bookshelf at home) that I can just flip through whenever I come across a word I want to know more about? I'll make the bookmarks. I'll hold down page flip for a few seconds so I can jump ahead 10 pages. I'm OK with that.

If someone knows where I can buy a decent contemporary dictionary for the Reader, please point me to it. I'm not considering buying another device. And I'd rather not hack my Reader or break DRM to make it happen. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
rgjp

Besides which - it's such an obvious book to offer (a dictionary!) that I assumed they would have one on the Sony store or in any of the other formats now supported by the Reader. Yet...I'm still searching.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Clemenseken wrote a dictionary for the 500/505 you might want to give it a try.
The program requires a Secure Disk. I recommend using the smallest stick possible, this will load the program the fastest.

See thread here: Dictionary. I think it should meet your need.

Download the latest version .87

Then download the english dictionary

I've also updated the auto run see post here so that you can launch the dictionary while your reading a book. Just press and hold the 0 button.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The program requires a Secure Disk.
So it doesn't work with a Memory Stick?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
rgjp

@ =X=:

Yes I've seen that solution. However my 4GB SD card is already loaded with books and it takes a couple of minutes for the Reader to process all that when I pop the card in and out. Also doesn't that use the old 1913 Project Gutenburg dictionary? I'd like a new-ish one.

Thanks for the links though and for the update on that project. I'm just looking for something a little simpler.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
rgjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I've also updated the auto run see post here so that you can launch the dictionary while your reading a book. Just press and hold the 0 button.
There's still some lag though, right? It's basically tricking the Reader into thinking you've popped the card in and out. Anyway, I might give it a try if nothing else comes along. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
So it doesn't work with a Memory Stick?
I believe it should work with the Memory Stick, but I've only tried the secure disk.

Quote:
@ =X=:

Yes I've seen that solution. However my 4GB SD card is already loaded with books and it takes a couple of minutes for the Reader to process all that when I pop the card in and out. Also doesn't that use the old 1913 Project Gutenburg dictionary? I'd like a new-ish one.
Well that is what comes with it but if you follow the dictionary link I provided in the post above it is link it's a 14MB dictionary that has much more words.

Quote:
There's still some lag though, right? It's basically tricking the Reader into thinking you've popped the card in and out. Anyway, I might give it a try if nothing else comes along. Thanks again.
Right this hack just saves your SD card and device from ware. I have a 2GB and the more books you put on the longer it takes. But when I inserted my 256MB card w/o any books it loaded pretty fast.

At the moment the only "easier" solution is to carry a dictionary with you.

You can always purchase a dictionary and convert it to LRF/ePUB. If you feel real bold you can also create a TOC via a NCX file. And create a very deep navigation menu.
Nick tried to do this but only kept it 1 level deep. Too impacitcal but if you had a recursive TOC then you can get down to a page with serveal key presses.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, dictionary, reader