Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
Esnsur
Esnsur began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way to organize books read

It seems like a simple question and I've looked about but can't find a great answer. If I use a tag to keep track of books read and I bulk import a set of books it generates a load of useless tags that I have to delete among the useful tags. I'm counting on myself remembering exactly how many useful/custom tags I have and deselecting those before deleting all the useless new tags. If I forget one there is no undo function for dag deletion or say if I notice a few days later.

Whats the best way to keep my selected categories of books (like read books) separate from generated inaccurate tags?
Esnsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I import new books into a separate physical library, remove the dross, make sure author and title are correct, then move the books to the main library, and apply my own tags etc.

You might want to have a look at this add-on ==>> QuarantineAndScrub

I also have a separate column for administrative purposes such as read, needs editing, convert to PDF. I use the built in tags column strictly for content classification.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-23-2015 at 12:44 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #3
Paulie_D
Connoisseur
Paulie_D began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I also have a separate column for administrative purposes such as read, needs editing, convert to PDF. I use the built in tags column strictly for content classification.

BR
I have the same, and then I have a Virtual Library for "unread"books based on that column

[ (#read:no) ] etc.
Paulie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I import new books into a separate physical library, remove the dross, make sure author and title are correct, then move the books to the main library, and apply my own tags etc.
Yes, a separate sanitizing library is strongly recommended before exposing new acquired items to your main library.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
Esnsur

Thank you a ton for your advice! I still have the worry of accidentally transferring to the wrong library or importing to the wrong library by mistake. If this did occur (if the coffee near the computer did spill all over the keyboard, a metaphor) is there any kind of undo or quick fix I could do?

Last edited by Esnsur; 04-23-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
It is impossible to make anything fool-proof and your computer may even explode due to all the work on adding your items but regularly making backups may help you.
Also think twice before hitting a button might help.

"press button for information
- click -
release button to detonate ...
- ?????? -"
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #7
Esnsur

Alright thank you Read popups twice, keep time capsules.

One last question. If you click a tag to be subtracted, then ctrl or shift click another tag to be selected you get not ___ or not ___ which as long as their not overlapping is everything

is there a key to press to get not ___ AND not ____ ?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esnsur View Post
Alright thank you Read popups twice, keep time capsules.

One last question. If you click a tag to be subtracted, then ctrl or shift click another tag to be selected you get not ___ or not ___ which as long as their not overlapping is everything

is there a key to press to get not ___ AND not ____ ?
@Esnsur - bottom of "tag browser" sidebar, the one on left (shift/alt/T to reveal/conceal) :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2015-04-24 , 15_55_36.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	137582

Match any is OR, Match all is AND (I think )

AFAIK there is no kb shortcut to toggle.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote