Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Ordered the 505 today!

After going round and round in the "What should I buy?" forum and getting lots of feedback from people I ended up going with the Sony PRS-505. I'm techie/geeky enough that I don't mind converting ebooks to work on the 505 and I just dig it's hardware.

So here I am saying hi and joining the club! I'm crazy anxious for my order to arrive so I'll be going through all the Sony Reader posts I can find.

~Shadowplay~
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
I think you'll like it a lot. I too was going round and round. Kindle, Sony, Cybook, I couldn't make up my mind. But finally decided that despite what Kindle apologists say, that the Kindle was just too ugly. Who needs a big keyboard anyhow on their reader? And with the Kindle store being as convenient as it is, I would spend way too much money.

Since I got mine last week, I've read about 5 books on it. I love it. Be sure to download Calibre, it knocks the socks off Sony's software.

I convert everything with Calibre and sync it up. I have about 40 books on there right now. Which should last me a few months. Everyone I show it to can't believe how great the display looks. I get comments about it wherever I go. My colleagues at work are thinking of buying one now. I'm so happy with my purchase. I even like the cover that was included. Works great.

I haven't charged it since the initial charge besides having it connected every so often to sync books for a few minutes and after days of use I haven't had the battery meter go down on me yet.

Wise choice.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Welcome. Do not panic.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the welcome and yep, I really don't need a keyboard or wireless on a device I want for *just* reading books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Welcome. Do not panic.
No worries. I do have my towel after all.

Last edited by Shadowplay; 05-12-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Towels are essential, but what REALLY counts around this place is the avatar.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Shadowplay
Groupie

Ah crap I'm doomed then. For whatever reason avatars are one thing I've just never been any good at - making them or finding ones I like.

Now you've gone and got me starting on a crusade to find the perfect avatar. I shall return!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Good choice Shadowplay, I hope they are in stock for immediate shipment
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
Shadowplay
Groupie

They say they are in stock and I opted for the expedited shipping so... I'm hoping to have it in hand in just a few days, but most importantly before the weekend because hey I don't want to suffer through a weekend knowing my order is still out there somewhere.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:17 AM   #9
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
They say they are in stock and I opted for the expedited shipping so... I'm hoping to have it in hand in just a few days, but most importantly before the weekend because hey I don't want to suffer through a weekend knowing my order is still out there somewhere.
Congratulations!! By the way
as I posted on the other thread according to Teleread there is a possbility that Sony would come out with a new firmware which allows for epub reading on sony. You might actually be amongst the first ones to receive it preloaded on your device.
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Ink View Post
Congratulations!! By the way
as I posted on the other thread according to Teleread there is a possbility that Sony would come out with a new firmware which allows for epub reading on sony. You might actually be amongst the first ones to receive it preloaded on your device.
How often do we (I can say "we" now, right?) get firmware updates? I'm a geek so I can't help it - I *like* firmware updates.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the ePUB format? I hadn't heard of it so I hopped over to the wiki to check it out and I get the concept - open format based on XHTML/XML - and I certainly am all for open standards, but I can't seem to find anything about what's currently available in the ePUB format.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's essentially nothing available in the ePub format, with the notable exception of out-of-copyright stuff from Hadrien's excellent FeedBooks web site. It may become an important open standard in the future. At present it is - IMHO - irrevelent.

There's not been a firmware update released for the Sony in something like a year. Doesn't really need one, to be honest; it has no significant bugs.

Enjoy your new purchase!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Welcome. Do not panic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
No worries. I do have my towel after all.
Quote:
Towels are essential, but what REALLY counts around this place is the avatar.
Just a reminder that May 25th is Towel Day 2008...

There's a very odd video from last year's day on my site at...
http://www.anotherchancetosee.com/20...-may-25th.html

Make of that what you will...

Last edited by anotherchance; 05-13-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
Just a reminder that May 25th is Towel Day 2008...
i know where my towel is, even when it's not may 25th. what i really need is something to tell me when may 25th is.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's essentially nothing available in the ePub format, with the notable exception of out-of-copyright stuff from Hadrien's excellent FeedBooks web site. It may become an important open standard in the future. At present it is - IMHO - irrevelent.
That was my take on it, but as new as I am I didn't want to make an arse of myself.

Quote:
There's not been a firmware update released for the Sony in something like a year. Doesn't really need one, to be honest; it has no significant bugs.
Certainly what I like to hear and what I was lead to believe in my research to find the right device for my needs. That doesn't mean I wouldn't still like firmware updates to add new features, maybe the few things the Sony really is missing in relation to other devices, e.g. official dictionary support and better font options. One can dream, right?

Quote:
Enjoy your new purchase!
Like only a book loving technophile can.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i know where my towel is, even when it's not may 25th. what i really need is something to tell me when may 25th is.
Are you saying you need a towel that politely lets you know of upcoming important dates, such as this very towel day we're talking about?

And it shall be called Friendly Reminder Towel! ...hmm that just doesn't roll off the tongue very well.