Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Talking How Kindle made me a better reader

Hello, dear readers.

This is a personal testimonial about how Kindle raised my reading experience to another level.

Some research somewhere published and commented, e-reading, even in e-ink, is 10% slower compared to reading in paper.

In my experience, however, the only thing I notice is: I retain more information from e-reading.

Reading in paper, I easily find myself with page numbers. It is something I’m used to since my life began. And, being able to remember the book position in page counting, I don’t mind about remembering the content because, after all, I know I’ll easily find the information opening it somewhere. Problem is, 99,9% of the time the books is not with me.

E-reading, I know I can’t go through easily, so, I remember the information, or, even more, exact words, because it is with word search that I find something in ebooks. Remembering any of this information for later consulting, I don’t need to consult, because the real thing is (needs to be) in my mind.

More:

Reading in paper, I need a pen to highlight, a dictionary etc. If I don’t have it, I don’t have the full experience. In bed, a nice reading position, I’m almost always without a pen, pencil, dictionary.

E-reading, I highlight, add notes and consulting meanings with my finger. More than wasting time, the time used with these things is time to the brain digesting what I’ve already read. That is, with paper reading, stopping the reading to digest, I do not have something to deepen it, I can only keep with eyes on the roof, touching paper. With e-reading, I can add a note, highlight, go through Oxford Dictionary.

Just a theory, or less, sharing my e-reading love. It takes more effort sometimes, but compensates me for it.

A testimony from a reading lover
Loving to be able to read many books anywhere,
Dark or light,
With my own finger adding notes and highlighting
With Kindle Paperwhite

(Thanks, Ixtab, for making it perfect.)

Last edited by Antoinekamel; 01-10-2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: "Without" > "with"
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't know if I'm a better reader, but I read more since getting an e-reader.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
interesting. if you are happy reading and learn better besides then all i can do is be happy for you and be be sad that i cannot cook you something as a reward. : D

typing on my phone
sigyn
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I don't read more than I did before I got my first ereader. I do read a wider more varied content than what was available when I was reading DT Books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I read so much more since I got my first Kindle. It may have to do with the fact that as soon as I finish a book, the next one is right there waiting to be opened, the easy access to new books from the comfort of my couch, the light weight... Whatever it is, it is good
And since the Paperwhite, I read even more.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I read more now, but it's because I can adjust the type to make it easier to read. My eyes are not what they used to be.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My son has some learning difficulties that make him a slow and painful reader. We got him a Kindle for Christmas last year, and he read more in the first 5 months of having it than he had the entire 2 years previously. (He's stopped somewhat now, because he's got some new computer games - when that gloss wears off, I hope he'll pick up the kindle again.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
The OP's statement is interesting. I find that I read faster on my device and have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the read. I think it's because before I got my reader I used electronic devices to read for information only and not for fiction.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I read way more since I got my first reader. I don't have to worry about making time to go to the book store. I find myself going through books a lot faster now that it's so easy to take books with me wherever I go. If I can't pull out the reader my phone is always nearby . And if I find myself without a new book I have a choice of several books I can reread no matter where I am.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
My son has some learning difficulties that make him a slow and painful reader. We got him a Kindle for Christmas last year, and he read more in the first 5 months of having it than he had the entire 2 years previously. (He's stopped somewhat now, because he's got some new computer games - when that gloss wears off, I hope he'll pick up the kindle again.)
Some of that reading might also be due to the newness of the reader, but I agree that readers like the Kindle do make it easier to read in that they make carrying a book with you simpler. 8 ounces of Kindle is easier to carry than a thick and heavy paper book, and one size fits all when it comes to carrying it in a pocket.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I read faster and better on my ereader. With "paper" books I find myself distracted by what's on the other (next or previous) page.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I think I read faster and more since e-reader's have come into my life.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
The number of books I read increased greatly with ebooks. The early versions read on my then shiny new Palm IIIx were a sanity saving balm to a road warrior. There is nothing quite as frustrating as finishing one book and being constrained by air turbulence from grabbing the next one. The dedicated ereader has made such cases of literary deprivation much rarer. My PocketPro and Kindle are always within reach.
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #14
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I know it made me able to read again, for that I love it

They opened up the world of reading that disabilities took away from the silent minority.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
widuvarg
widuvarg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Exactly how does reading on an ereader slow you down? When I'm reading, I'm using my stylus to 'underline' the sentence I'm reading, and it feels quite fast.

I can't really say if I read more now that I have an ereader, but it's much more diverse. I used to read fiction, and school textbooks. Now I read a lot of non-fiction books that I find interesting, but that are unavailable in the local library and very expensive to buy in bookstores.
widuvarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drunk college student, e-reading lover, jbpatch, paperwhite