Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #676
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Brain has atrophied temporarily, but what about the "Odd Thomas" series - author's on tip of tongue, but can't expectorate it ......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #677
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Google "Odd Thomas" and you get Dean R. Koontz. Funny how that works.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #678
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Odd Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Brain has atrophied temporarily, but what about the "Odd Thomas" series - author's on tip of tongue, but can't expectorate it ......
Also an upcoming film, Odd Thomas

Last edited by alansplace; 03-14-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: correct
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #679
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I received an email from Amazon this morning showing a list of Dresden books. The email states that Changes is $5.74 but when I go onto Amazons website is says $12.72...why would that be?

EDIT: Nevermind the $5.74 is for the hardcover. Why would they think I want the price for a hardcover when I only by ebooks? The email doesn't even give the ebook price.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #680
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jim Butcher

Quoted from: jim-butcher.com

Quote:
All three Bigfoot stories are already available for preorder:

“B is for Bigfoot,” set between Fool Moon and Grave Peril, will be included in the Paranormal Y.A. anthology Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron by Jonathan Strahan, due out August 28th, 2012. It contains a jaw-droppingly impressive list of contributing authors, including Neil Gaiman, Tanith Lee, Jane Yolen, Peter S. Beagle, Garth Nix, Charles de Lint, and Delia Sherman!

“I Was A Teenage Bigfoot,” set around the time of Dead Beat, will be included in Kevin J. Anderson’s Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste, due for release May 29, 2012.

“Bigfoot on Campus,” set between Turn Coat and Changes, will be included in P.N. Elrod’s Hex Appeal, slated for June 5th, 2012.

The Molly story will be published in Dangerous Women, a cross-genre anthology featuring stories about women warriors, co-edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois. It is not yet available for preorder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aftertasteHex.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	83997  

Last edited by alansplace; 03-16-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: pasted the incorrect contents into the quote box the first time
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #681
magkelly
magkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: T310 Cruz Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
So, you've seen the pilot as a 2 hour pilot, not the 1 hour episode 8? Where...how...!?! I own the series on DVD and the pilot was not included, just 'Storm Front', episode 8.
It's been around. When I saw it actually it was on You Tube. Not sure if it's still there but it was a little while ago.
magkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #682
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Ghost Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by magkelly View Post
It's been around. When I saw it actually it was on You Tube. Not sure if it's still there but it was a little while ago.

Everybody, I was unsuccessful in my search of Youtube for the pilot but I did find this interview dated Aug 3, 2011.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-17-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add feature
Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #683
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher - Stuff I Been Doin'

From jimbutcher.livejournal.com Dec 11, 2011

Quote:
Stuff I Been Doin'
Okay, for the folks who want to know, here's what I'm up to lately.

Over the past four months, I've been busy working several different things. First, I've been getting in some quality LARP time on weekends at least once a month. Hooah! It's really cool to not work weekends!

Oh, and some writing too:

First, our LARP organization is putting together a second rules set, one which hopefully will effectively transcend the stickiest problems of the current system. Chapters will be able to run whichever they like, but our hope is to create a system that is so nifty that you can't NOT want to play it. That's been a HUGE amount of work, and is going to be more, but we're getting to the point now where I'm impatient to have it finished because I wanna go PLAY it! It will be some serious fun.

I've done a trilogy of short stories with linked characters in which Bigfoot is Dresden's client. They take place spread out over the length of the series so far. The Bigfoot stories were about 40 percent of a novel in total page length. Then I sat down and wrote out the foundation for two more series: the first was a Black Company-inspired fantasy series which would be a prelude trilogy to my epic epic fantasy epic. The second is a steampunk fantasy series, with lots of airships, crystals, goggles, manners, and Hornblowerism. The steampunk stuff seems to be ringing the beta readers' bells, so I think that will be the next project I go to town on.

But that will probably have to wait. I have at least one more short story to get in before the year is up. It's for the "Dangerous Women" anthology, and I'm leaning toward writing it from Molly's point of view, in the time between Ghost Story and Cold Days. Come the new year, I'll start Cold Days. With any luck, there will be snow on the ground when it happens, and I can write the first few chapters with the only light in the room being reflected from the snow outside. That would be perfect.

Someone have a word with the people who schedule the weather, will you?

I'm just about done writing short stories. I've got two more next year and maybe one more novelette for the second short story anthology, and then I'm done with them. I need to focus on writing, you know, novels.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #684
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Everybody, I was unsuccessful in my search of Youtube for the pilot but I did find this interview dated Aug 3, 2011.
Dagnabbit. I was hoping someone would find it. (Haven't been around in a few days so I read these posts with some anticipation today.) I have the DVDs of Season 1 lovingly enshrined on my home theatre PC, complete with tv promo "bumps" and such. I've got a WMC plugin that shows background graphics on the episode selection screen, and all the episode descriptions... Put a lot of work into that. I just need the pilot to complete my video shrine to Harry Dresden.

Saw Paul Blackthorne in an episode of something on CBS the other night. I don't even remember what I was watching, probably CSI, I just looked up and yelled "Harry!!" and my roommate was like "Huh?" and I spend a good 15 minutes explaining.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #685
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Urban Fantasy Authors

A while ago, somewhere in this thread (The Dresden Files, in case you're not sure where you are ), someone posted a complaint concerning an event that occurred in a Dresden Files Story at Chicago's Wrigley Field and, in their opinion, was not at all accurate in depicting the local environment. Anyway, last evening I was watching this recorded book signing featuring Patricia Briggs and Kim Harrison. During the Q & A Kim explained why Jim Butcher's local Chicage descriptions might not always be accurate and also tells why Jim Butcher chose Chicago as Harry's residence.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #686
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

While poking around looking for Jim Butcher interview videos I found this three part 30 minute one from a couple of years ago. The video imbedded below is the first 10 minute segment and on it Jim tells his own story about how he decided on Chicago as Harry's residence. Here is a page with links to all three parts, Dresden Files - A Conversation with Jim Butcher (Part One).

Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #687
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Isn't it interesting what the web yields (with a little imagination and a graphics editor). I found this faux cover in a thread on google+.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cold_Days_Cover.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	84229  

Last edited by alansplace; 03-19-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 03-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #688
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Snape vs. Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Just finished HP & Chamber of Secrets. Now I'm reading Blindness, by José Saramango.

I found it confusing* just after a hundred pages, so as far as I remember, never got the chance to meet anyone called Morgan.

*detective + cops, fantasy (wizards, vampires, monsters, werewolf, you name it), modern Chicago...
Welcome to 'The Dresden Files' thread.

'Hundred pages' of which book? There are 13 of them at present and more on the way.

Anyway I'd call 'Morgan' kinda' analogous to Snape concerning his personality except he's a Warden of the White Council in the Dresdenverse (not a teacher, like Snape) which is similar in concept to an 'Auror' in the Potterverse.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #689
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Er, hi Dresden Files fans. Thanks, Alan, for dragging me here. I know there's a Dresden Files thread but I can't say I'm a fan so never got in here.

"A hundred pages" of the first book, of course. I think it's Storm Front. Finished it, though. But as I said, I was not at ease with the style, so I haven't come to read #2.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #690
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm about half way through Turn Coat. I really like Morgan in this book. He's showing a lot more personality. He's still a jerk, but I understand him a bit better now.

It seems like Thomas gets into just about as much trouble as Harry. Poor guy .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy